• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a bunny have too much herbs?

Sophie92x

Young Bun
My bun buns love herbs, I feed them thyme and oregano occasionally. I have heard of people growing them in pots and then putting them in rabbit hutches for them to eat. I like the idea of this but is there a limit that they can have?

Thanks!

I would say that it would be OK for a rabbit to eat most of a very small herb plant in a pot (e.g. the smaller size in a supermarket). However, I try to feed a variety of both herbs and forage and so would not leave one herb plant for them to nibble, but would keep the plants away from them and pull off stems from different varieties. It also seems a waste of a plant to eat it all at once, whereas if bits are removed over time, it will regrow :) Most rabbits will tolerate herbs very well. Perhaps if you like the idea of them helping themselves, you could leave a few different types with them for a little while and then after they've nibbled for a while, remove them.

Both my bunnies have a handful of herbs each every night and they go down amazing!! :)

Like Omi says, bunnies do like variety, and would much rather have a nibble each day, than a binge! :lol: although, I'm pretty sure my two would love that! Haha!!

Coriander and dill are the firm favourites, with basil and parsley as a close second! :) xxx

Hi. We have an area out of the back door planted with only bunny safe perennial herbs- oregano, mint, thyme, chives, fennel, sage, lavender, rosemary. We use them to cook with but the bunnies love rooting through them and they are well established so come back year after year. I never worry about how much they eat as they go from one thing to another. A bit like bunny pick and mix but healthier! You can have pots of more tender herbs like dill coriander basil chervil and they are wasy and cheap to grow from seed.- but don't let the rabbits near them until they have got growing strongley.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

My bun buns love herbs, I feed them thyme and oregano occasionally. I have heard of people growing them in pots and then putting them in rabbit hutches for them to eat. I like the idea of this but is there a limit that they can have?

Thanks!

I think if there's a variety, then there would be no problem in eating them as the 'main course'

You have rabbits with eclectic tastes ... oregano and thyme are very strong tasting!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I have a few pots of herbs on the windowsill and in the evening I put them down on the floor so they can pick at them as when they feel like it. I'm sure all bunnies are different but I find mine don't gorge on them all in one go but rather nibble on a few leaves at a time over the course of an evening. Here's a couple of my two eating from the basil and thyme pots

9a630e49e74742b75a141e480f697225.jpg
d5ad9c970fcb03a479079a090426e7f7.jpg

Herbs are supposed to be quite gentle on their tummies and I've found that feeding them this way hasn't had any ill effects on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put some herbs in pots where they were within bunny reach - some sage and a lavender bush. It took all of three days for them to be reduced to bare stumps, but in fairness, Monty did moderate himself and take his time over them. They've been removed from the vicinity and are growing back nicely now, but he'll be let loose on them again soon. I would see how your bunnies get on with them - if they eat when they fancy but don't gorge, I'd say leave them around and let the bunnies decide :)

Julia - I didn't know rabbits could have chives. We have some going off in the fridge at the moment, so thanks for the information! :D Off to see how chives go down.

I put some herbs in pots where they were within bunny reach - some sage and a lavender bush. It took all of three days for them to be reduced to bare stumps, but in fairness, Monty did moderate himself and take his time over them. They've been removed from the vicinity and are growing back nicely now, but he'll be let loose on them again soon. I would see how your bunnies get on with them - if they eat when they fancy but don't gorge, I'd say leave them around and let the bunnies decide :)

Julia - I didn't know rabbits could have chives. We have some going off in the fridge at the moment, so thanks for the information! :D Off to see how chives go down.

No they shouldn't.

However, I have them growing outside up high and the devil blighter bunnies sometimes manage to get up and raid them :roll:

Sorry for the suggestion. I haven't seen any ill effects but now that I know I will discouarge him. Like I said, he tends to nibble at lots of different herbs so generally he doesn't eat alot of anything in particular unless he gets stuck in front of a pot of dill.

Thanks mighty max. Brilliant article. Every thing in moderation and rabbits benefit from freedom more than just about any thing else (caveat of safe environment ). By the way bonding is going ok 24 hours straight together now. So happy.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

You're welcome :)

And sooo glad to hear the bonding is going well :D

Chives are not suitable for rabbits. Anything from the onion family is a no-no.

Chives are a great preventive against coccidosis and in no way harmful to rabbits, as are other plants of the allium family. Just offer them along a diverse diet of other green stuff, they know pretty good what is good for them, and how much.

Back