• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver for xray tomorrow.

OK, thank you every one, I decided to cancel the vet appointment. I gave Oliver ranitadine last night and so far clean bum. He last had metacam at 8am yesterday morning. He was livelier this morning than yesterday and eatting well for breakfast and even was eatting hay this morning instead of his hay bales which he hasn't done in ages - coincidence, not sure. So I have decided to give Oliver a few days without metacam, just to see but yes Max a few days may not be long enough .It appeared this morning that there was a bit less grinding but I will be able to monitor him more this evening. The injectable metacam seems a very good idea Max and I will mention this to my vet as I haven't spoken to her yet.

Yes Omi I was giving him his metacam after food, but I suppose moving to injectable for a while to see would defo rule out stomach issue wouldn't it. Thanks for your helpful advice OmI and Max.

I really am so stressed trying to gauge things correctly but I think if I am not happy I will just take him down tomorrow or Friday for another check anyway . I am feeling nervous about ringing my vet, I feel she may think I am a nuisance!

OK, thank you every one, I decided to cancel the vet appointment. I gave Oliver ranitadine last night and so far clean bum. He last had metacam at 8am yesterday morning. He was livelier this morning than yesterday and eatting well for breakfast and even was eatting hay this morning instead of his hay bales which he hasn't done in ages - coincidence, not sure. So I have decided to give Oliver a few days without metacam, just to see but yes Max a few days may not be long enough .It appeared this morning that there was a bit less grinding but I will be able to monitor him more this evening. The injectable metacam seems a very good idea Max and I will mention this to my vet as I haven't spoken to her yet.

Yes Omi I was giving him his metacam after food, but I suppose moving to injectable for a while to see would defo rule out stomach issue wouldn't it. Thanks for your helpful advice OmI and Max.

I really am so stressed trying to gauge things correctly but I think if I am not happy I will just take him down tomorrow or Friday for another check anyway . I am feeling nervous about ringing my vet, I feel she may think I am a nuisance!

I was out this morning, and didn't see you posted. So I had a look and found your post here :)

I think I would've done the same as you've done.

I hope he picks up during the week, but I agree, it's a confusing state of affairs. Just as if a small child had symptoms and couldn't really explain exactly what was happening.

Vibes xx

Good morning Max, well we are on our way to the vet this morning! Teeth grinding was maybe a little less last night but he was grinding a bit this morning. But I lifted him and put him in the garden and he peed / dribbled 4 times within about 2 minutes ( twice outside and twice when he ran straight inside ) even if the metacam is hurting his stomach I just feel the discomfort is mostly coming from his bladder issues. He has been dribbling for about 3 months now . He had his previous bladder flush about a year ago so maybe there is something there. Either way the piddling isn't normal so we need to get to the bottom of it (pardon the pun ) . My vet is in today and then not in until next Wednesday so I just didn't think I wanted him to wait.

I feel physically sick about the sedation but he has had 3 before and was fine so I have to be positive.

Thanks everyone for ur advice and vibes . The Bead will give an update later !

I feel for you Nicky. It is so difficult sometimes to decide what to do.

I do think that you are doing the right thing here though. Whilst I would also be scared about the GA, I would be swayed by the thought that tooth grinding means pain and I would want to know what exactly was causing it, so that if possible a remedy could be found it could be started asap. In your case today, I think also the fact that your vet is in today is an added reason.

Sending loads of vibes for Oliver and hugs for you.

He is in for a bladder flush just now. Also teeth check and full bloods. He is in good form so vet said best time to do it.

I absolutely agree you've done the right thing!

The fact that your vet is only available today would indicate to me that it's meant to happen today.

Vibes for the Bead and I look forward to his update - a good one! - later.

Hugs Nicky xx

So vet rang and flush went excellent. She said there was LOADS of sludge even though upon feeling it before the flush it didn't feel too bad so that's interesting. Aww am soo relivrelieved for him, he won't know his wee self in a couple of days - he will be sore for a bit after this. Said his teeth and ears all looked fine too so just waiting on blood results. Thanks for your support everyone xx

So vet rang and flush went excellent. She said there was LOADS of sludge even though upon feeling it before the flush it didn't feel too bad so that's interesting. Aww am soo relivrelieved for him, he won't know his wee self in a couple of days - he will be sore for a bit after this. Said his teeth and ears all looked fine too so just waiting on blood results. Thanks for your support everyone xx

Really good to hear Nicky :D

You must be so relieved!

Aw thanks guys, aw I am sooooo ooooohhhhh relieved! ! On our way home now. He is very bright but a wee bit wobbly which is to be expected. Bloods were all clear too as we're teeth so clean bill of health.

Aw thanks guys, aw I am sooooo ooooohhhhh relieved! ! On our way home now. He is very bright but a wee bit wobbly which is to be expected. Bloods were all clear too as we're teeth so clean bill of health.

Hope he's picking up a bit more now Nicky.

Love to The Bead :love:

Yes he has picked up well and is eatting some corrianders, some cauliflower and eatting a little of his hay bales, pooping and drinking which is very good and I am very proud of him. He us currently loafed under the sofa still sleeping it off. He has had a big day. Bead says thanks for asking after him and supporting his mum in making the right decision for him. He says he is very glad she took him down as he is already feeling better.

Oliver and me send hugs back Max xx

Yes he has picked up well and is eatting some corrianders, some cauliflower and eatting a little of his hay bales, pooping and drinking which is very good and I am very proud of him. He us currently loafed under the sofa still sleeping it off. He has had a big day. Bead says thanks for asking after him and supporting his mum in making the right decision for him. He says he is very glad she took him down as he is already feeling better.

Oliver and me send hugs back Max xx

:love:

Back