• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver for xray tomorrow.

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So Oliver is going to the vet in the morning. He is grinding his teeth daily , not constant but several times a day while on metacam. He is still eatting drinking pooping ok and is bright and runs out for his food but I know he is uncomfortable as he sits still alot. I sent the vet a wee video of him grinding and his uncomfortable posture and she agrees that we should investigate further now. So could be sludge build up, though she couldn't feel any 6 weeks ago and not much in his wee sample . Last night when Oliver was sitting I noticed his cheek move by itself back the way and stay there for a few seconds . It did this a few times. Very weird so maybe a tooth thing ?? Getting full bloods done too. So nervous already.

I'd want to get to the bottom of this too, Nicky. Sending lots of vibes for Oliver tomorrow and hugs for you.

So Oliver is going to the vet in the morning. He is grinding his teeth daily , not constant but several times a day while on metacam. He is still eatting drinking pooping ok and is bright and runs out for his food but I know he is uncomfortable as he sits still alot. I sent the vet a wee video of him grinding and his uncomfortable posture and she agrees that we should investigate further now. So could be sludge build up, though she couldn't feel any 6 weeks ago and not much in his wee sample . Last night when Oliver was sitting I noticed his cheek move by itself back the way and stay there for a few seconds . It did this a few times. Very weird so maybe a tooth thing ?? Getting full bloods done too. So nervous already.

Sounds like a very good thing you're doing.

Is he still on ranitidine? And what about the tramadol?

Sending you loads of vibes for everything to go well.

Would the vet do a dental, if it was necessary, or would he have to go back for that?

Thanks guys, it has been going on a while now. No Max I stopped the ranitadine as it was giving him very runny caecatrophs and they where getting mushed into his fur and bum and feet. Now u have me thinking what if it's the metacam hurting his belly again ?? I was giving him 0.6ml once a day which made a good improvement until a couple of hours before his next dose. We moved to 0.4ml twice a day and he wasn't as lively and it didn't improve the teeth grinding as much. Should I delay the xray and try no metacam? ? He is spotting but not as much, think the glucosamine helps but he still pees when lifted and I set him down. Yes if the vet will do a dental at the same time.

OK, so think I will stop metacam for a couple of days just to see if that helps and postpone the xray for a couple of days, say until Friday morning. Would that be enough time to see a difference? Should I give him some ranitadine to soothe his potentially sore stomach tonight ??

Is he on Metacam for Arthritis? If so, if you stop the Metacam and he is in pain then from the Arthritis, won't it be difficult to determine where any pain is coming from?

No not for arthritis it was for his initial uti and then spotting and bladder imflamation. I had been trying stopping it and "think" that's when his teeth grinding started . The uti started in May and Oliver was on 4 weeks of baytril and metacam. My memory is terrible, but he was back at vet again in June and we decided to give glucosamine a go and that has helped the spotting about 50%. I think when I heard him teeth grinding again I started back with the metacam . We were trying to hold off xray for potential bladder flush until we really needed to. I think if he is not on metacam and still teeth grinding then I think it has to be bladder or teeth or something else.

I am sorry about posting again about this issue, I know I have been back and forward like a yo yo. I just want to make sure I am risking sedation when other options have been covered.

OK, so think I will stop metacam for a couple of days just to see if that helps and postpone the xray for a couple of days, say until Friday morning. Would that be enough time to see a difference? Should I give him some ranitadine to soothe his potentially sore stomach tonight ??

Hi Nicky

Sorry to have gone quiet - I have been out this evening.

If his gut is sore from the Metacam, then it may need a bit of time to heal. You may also need the ranitidine which I appreciate causes issues you don't want to encourage in flystrike weather.

Now some bunnies do absolutely fine on Metacam, and Tramadol. But I do know - and I tested this out extensively - that some bunnies have a gut problem with either of these, as we've discussed before.

In some ways I would go ahead with your appointment tomorrow and speak with the vet about it. However, vets have limited experience of rabbits and their issues. Even good rabbit vets may say that Metacam is fine without any addition of anything else to protect the stomach.

If it were me, and I could tolerate the caecatrophs for one night, then I would give ranitidine followed a half an hour later by Metacam at the regular dose. That's only my rambling thoughts. Then I would do the same tomorrow morning and go ahead with the appointment.

What do you think?

Hugs xx

Aw Max no worries about replying. Yes I do recall our discussion on metacam before. I have just gave him the ranitadine - wee sausage took it straight from the syringe. But if I give metacam tonight how will I be able to rule out if that is causing him pain ?? Would I need to stop it completely to see for sure?

I have spoken to my vet several times this past few weeks and I guess we decided I would only be bringing Oliver down to further investigate via xray at this stage now so would there be a benefit of examination tomorrow if not xraying? Max u r not rambling! I am being a pain posting about the same thing so many times but Olivers symptoms, frequency, reaction to metacam etc is very confusing for me now at this stage.

Aw Max no worries about replying. Yes I do recall our discussion on metacam before. I have just gave him the ranitadine - wee sausage took it straight from the syringe. But if I give metacam tonight how will I be able to rule out if that is causing him pain ?? Would I need to stop it completely to see for sure?

You know, it's so hard to say .. But I have found that I needed to give something to heal up the gut before a rabbit would begin being themselves again. So I don't think stopping the Metacam on it's own would show you much, and certainly not within a short space of time.

However, you could try *not* giving it tonight if you think he can manage without it. You wouldn't want him in pain either, but to be honest, he seems uncomfortable either way.

Tell you what though .. Could you discuss with your vet the injectable Metacam? You might have to convince him/her of your reasoning, which may not be easy. It's on this list here as sub cutaneous injection:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

I have spoken to my vet several times this past few weeks and I guess we decided I would only be bringing Oliver down to further investigate via xray at this stage now so would there be a benefit of examination tomorrow if not xraying? Max u r not rambling! I am being a pain posting about the same thing so many times but Olivers symptoms, frequency, reaction to metacam etc is very confusing for me now at this stage.

OK. This is just a further MM rambling ... And possibly what I would do, but if Oliver seems in greater pain then ignore me :)

I would talk with the vet. Get some injectable Metacam - ask them to humour you about the stomach issues if necessary.

I would give the ranitidine if you can bear the caecotrophs and see how he is in three days time.

If he's still uncomfortable after next weekend, book him in for further tests at the beginning of next week.

You won't need to take The Bead down to see the vet tomorrow, but you may have to visit the vet yourself.

You are not a pain!!!!!!!

Believe me, however long we've been keeping rabbits, we all go around in circles with these things. Chewing the cud and changing our minds. Happens constantly. But by questioning, reasoning, observing and talking we lay the seeds for an answer to spring up. It doesn't always spring up as quickly as I would like, but there we are :lol:

You think so Joey ?? Yes my brilliant lovely vet.

my answer is probably born from not any having any experience of Olivers issues though ...I'm sure you'll work it out & your lovely vet will support you. Injectable metacam sounds a good idea

Don't ever think you're being a pain by posting about the same issue and changing your mind. If anything, it just demonstrates that you are doing the right thing and thinking things through.

My further thoughts, after reading others' post is that I would definitely take Oliver for his appointment and, as you have a vet you can trust, I would talk things through with her. Injectable Metacam sounds a good suggestion, but if the tooth grinding then stopped (and I guess that would take a while to heal the soreness), you would only have more evidence that it was the oral Metacam causing pain in the gut. If the tooth grinding continued, you are back at square one, while Oliver has still been in pain (from somewhere). I guess when you give him oral Metacam, you always make sure it's after food?

Sending lots of vibes for him whatever you decide.

Back