• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & staying at home

It's been really interesting to read all the responses.

In my case though I'm wondering if I might be using them as an excuse at times. In reality they are more vulnerable in their runs, but actually if I leave them in their sheds / playhouses they should be perfectly fine for us to have a trip out. I mean they are out there all night, right!

Holidays though, I don't think would be possible. I can't imagine my parents looking after 9 rabbits, I mean they'd perhaps offer, but it's such a responsibility, and we couldn't afford boarding. My dd's often ask, why can't we go on holiday like our friends? x

Really, though, if something is going to happen to them then it could happen in a small timeframe, when you are home, but are in the shower or suchlike.

We can only do our very best to keep them safe and illness free but to let it take over our lives isn't good.

It's just another way that our anxiety manifests itself, unfortunately. The need to have everything controlled and perfect for everyone and everything!

Really, though, if something is going to happen to them then it could happen in a small timeframe, when you are home, but are in the shower or suchlike.

We can only do our very best to keep them safe and illness free but to let it take over our lives isn't good.

It's just another way that our anxiety manifests itself, unfortunately. The need to have everything controlled and perfect for everyone and everything!

Everything that you have said it true but I can't help it. I know it's not normal but nearly every time we make plans something has gone wrong! We even booked an amazing night away in Chester to celebrate our engagement and Hiro got head tilt the day before. They time it perfectly. To be fair I'm paranoid in the house too! I check on them constantly.
I've been thinking about bunny cams but I'm wondering if it will actually make me worse :lol:

My fur babies loved staying with you - they didn't want to come home - but, as always, finances are a problem. I'm trying to access a pension to get the hole in my roof fixed but it is proving problematic and time consuming. I am entitled to it legally as I am over 55 but finding a financial advisor who is able to process the relevant paperwork is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack!!!!

Thank you though.

Would this be any help? https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en/pension-pot-options

I had an excellent financial adviser, who then passed me to a colleague to help with the house. I can understand the government saying people have to have financial advice before taking out their pensions as I suspect that some folk are going to come unstuck when they are older, but it must be annoying if you already know what you want to do.

I think it's reasonable for most bunny owners to have a 'life' first and bunnies second, but it's not always. For me, I give out 41 meds a day, and every three days administer 5 injections. I have 8 chronically and/or terminally ill rabbits. We have discovered a fine art of how much of a different rapid intervention makes to their health and wellbeing. Yes, I could stop revolving my life around them, however, they would then suffer, as I would not be administering medication regularly and not checking them regularly. I have no concern about them escaping, or anything getting into them. Mine is purely about their health and ensuring they stay comfortable and stable, which leads to happy bunnies. If I started doing my own thing, on my own agenda, then they would suffer, and that's not something I am ok with. I could never be ok with that and I would never want to be responsible for (more) suffering of my bunnies.

I did use to use mine as an excuse. So I get that too. Not any more though. Although they are now a reason for X, Y or Z.

It's just another way that our anxiety manifests itself, unfortunately.
Exactly. The first year we had Lopsy he was terribly ill over Christmas, while we were away, he would have died had our sitter not been so animal-savvy (not truly rabbit-savvy but a good listener and caring!). But it hasn't stopped us since, even going on holidays abroad! And that's down to our mindset: we're both non-anxious people, very much believers in what will be will be and as long as we've done our absolute best ain't nothing going to change as no-one's going to invent a time machine: no point dwelling on the what-ifs! :thumb:

And yeah, it's all well and good saying that but some people are natural worriers. People who use rabbit forums, maybe? (Genuine qestion: are you all here hoping everyone else is as mad as you are, cos I am in a way! ;P)

It's been really interesting to read all the responses.

In my case though I'm wondering if I might be using them as an excuse at times. In reality they are more vulnerable in their runs, but actually if I leave them in their sheds / playhouses they should be perfectly fine for us to have a trip out. I mean they are out there all night, right!

Holidays though, I don't think would be possible. I can't imagine my parents looking after 9 rabbits, I mean they'd perhaps offer, but it's such a responsibility, and we couldn't afford boarding. My dd's often ask, why can't we go on holiday like our friends? x
Would one night away as a family be any use? Your parents could cope with two days and one night I'm sure x

My mum used to care for all my pets when I went away. (6 ferrets; each with own medical needs and medicines. 2 guinea pigs, one hamster). All went well and if a problem did occur I would come home early for them but that never happened.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Would one night away as a family be any use? Your parents could cope with two days and one night I'm sure x

My mum used to care for all my pets when I went away. (6 ferrets; each with own medical needs and medicines. 2 guinea pigs, one hamster). All went well and if a problem did occur I would come home early for them but that never happened.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yeah, you'd think so, but my dad is like a bull in a china shop and my mum won't go near them :lol: x

Back