• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training after Bonding Advice

BlindXX

Young Bun
Hi, I'm having a nightmare with three bunnies after a successful boding. Our original Rabbit , Dusty, was perfectly litter trained before, but now we have three all hell has broken loose when it comes to the toilet. We were warned this would happen and I've read a lot on how to deal with it but some of the advice seems conflicting. Currently they live in a puppy pen (with a run area attached) with two litter trays at one end of the pen and hay baskets above so they can eat at the same time. I also scatter a little hay in the box for them to eat too. There are two more litter trays in the run in corners that they seemed to enjoy going in. The two bonded bunnies were previously litter trained. However, there seems to be urine everywhere in the morning when I come down, and when we give them a run in the living room, two bunnies use the litter tray in there but one seems to go anywhere - often next to a litter tray, but not inside (she's not missing the litter tray from inside - she doesn't even go in). Three weeks on and I thought this would settle down, but it seems to getting worse with a massive poonami every morning too. Droppings are scattered everywhere. Should I confine them to the puppy pen alone until they regulate their litter habits? I always clean spots with pet safe antibac and then white vinegar/water and put used tissues and stray poos in the litter trays to encourage them to use them. Thank god its a vinyl floor! Really don't know what to do next :?

Hi, I'm having a nightmare with three bunnies after a successful boding. Our original Rabbit , Dusty, was perfectly litter trained before, but now we have three all hell has broken loose when it comes to the toilet. We were warned this would happen and I've read a lot on how to deal with it but some of the advice seems conflicting. Currently they live in a puppy pen (with a run area attached) with two litter trays at one end of the pen and hay baskets above so they can eat at the same time. I also scatter a little hay in the box for them to eat too. There are two more litter trays in the run in corners that they seemed to enjoy going in. The two bonded bunnies were previously litter trained. However, there seems to be urine everywhere in the morning when I come down, and when we give them a run in the living room, two bunnies use the litter tray in there but one seems to go anywhere - often next to a litter tray, but not inside (she's not missing the litter tray from inside - she doesn't even go in). Three weeks on and I thought this would settle down, but it seems to getting worse with a massive poonami every morning too. Droppings are scattered everywhere. Should I confine them to the puppy pen alone until they regulate their litter habits? I always clean spots with pet safe antibac and then white vinegar/water and put used tissues and stray poos in the litter trays to encourage them to use them. Thank god its a vinyl floor! Really don't know what to do next :?

Have you tried one big litter tray instead of several small ones ? Something like the plastic base of an indoor cage ?

Is it possible that the Rabbit who is not going into a litter tray at all has a mobility problem, eg a sore back ? This would make hopping into a litter tray uncomfortable.

What is the gender of each Rabbit in the trio ?

I am assuming that they are all neutered ?

This is such a common thing with rabbits, but doesn't make it any easier for you.

I'm glad it's a vinyl floor and wood etc isn't getting damaged beyond repair.

Here's some tips that myself and others have found useful:

http://rabbit.org/faq-litter-training-2/

More hints and tips here:

http://articles.extension.org/pages/33013/rabbit-behavioral-problems:-inappropriate-urination

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-litter-training.asp

http://bunnyproof.com/living-with-a...r-rabbit-urinating-on-your-carpet-bed-or-sofa

I hope you can get it sorted. Your idea of confining them nay well be the key to retraining them back to their good habits.

SOrry people, been busy and not checked the boards for a while. Rabbits are one male, two female, all neutered (two females were adopted from and bonded to Dusty at a rescue centre). There is no mobility problem that I am aware of (especially judging by the way they scarper when they know we want to put them back after a run!). The litter is pets at home wooden cat litter - unscented and like pellets. When it gets wet it breaks down into sawdust. Thanks for the links - after reading, I think we may have given too much space too soon. When confined to the pen ( I say confined, its still 4"x 3") their litter habit was perfect. A couple of days ago I reintroduced them to the run area with permanent access and bad habits resumed so I'm going to re-pen them and use the run as a reward but put them away each night. That way they will not see it as their own area and hopefully won't mark. We're having some work done on the house soon so we won't be able to let them out of their run area anyway. means we have time to train them! Thanks for the input!

To be honest I had the same issue, except only poo happily. My original pair had exemplary litter habits but when we added a third it became poo city. It was a long roller coaster bond but tbh I'm not sure things have improved that much & they've been bonded almost 2 years. I have just had to become best buddies with henry hoover. The one thing I notice does improve things is to only feed them in their trays. I can't do that with forage though, its too spikey. Likewise it only seems right to feed them veggies away from their litter trays. So sorry I've not much in the way of advice but you have my empathy. I hope you find a solution

SOrry people, been busy and not checked the boards for a while. Rabbits are one male, two female, all neutered (two females were adopted from and bonded to Dusty at a rescue centre). There is no mobility problem that I am aware of (especially judging by the way they scarper when they know we want to put them back after a run!). The litter is pets at home wooden cat litter - unscented and like pellets. When it gets wet it breaks down into sawdust. Thanks for the links - after reading, I think we may have given too much space too soon. When confined to the pen ( I say confined, its still 4"x 3") their litter habit was perfect. A couple of days ago I reintroduced them to the run area with permanent access and bad habits resumed so I'm going to re-pen them and use the run as a reward but put them away each night. That way they will not see it as their own area and hopefully won't mark. We're having some work done on the house soon so we won't be able to let them out of their run area anyway. means we have time to train them! Thanks for the input!

You're welcome :)

I've found some of the tips in those links very helpful along the way.

I'm glad you've managed some sort of solution, at least for the time being. Restriction really does help!

Pesky Rabbits :roll:

Back