• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The mysterious case of Pippin's fur pulling continues.....

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello everyone, I'm looking for any other ideas as to what might be causing Pip to rip out and eat her chin fur every 5 weeks! Going to ring vet tomorrow to let them know she's done it again!

Soooo after speaking to the nice vet last time. He said he thought Pip was pulling her fur because she was in pain somewhere and was trying to tell us.

It's every 5 weeks, well the gas episodes are. I'm starting to wonder if she pulls out more often and her fur is growing back every 5 weeks so she can then pull more out causing a blockage/gas!
We haven't seen her pulling, but she must be doing it at night or when we are at work. I just checked her chin and it's bald!

Vet has so far ruled out mites, ear infection & teeth. Skin isn't inflamed and no dandruff, ears are completely clear and teeth are perfect.

She had a 10 day course of panacur and the fur pulling was weirdly 7 weeks. So we decided to try a 28day course in case it was a mild case of EC.

This doesn't seemed to have worked because she's got her bald patch back and I just found a poop full of fur 5 weeks after the last instance.

He said it was very unlikely it was hormonal because she isn't nesting.
I don't think she's bored because she doesn't do it constantly and cause herself any harm.

I don't think she's stressed but obviously it's hard to tell, but we've given them both more freedom and they've both been bunny flopping everywhere. She looks so content and happy.

Sorry it's a bit of a long post but I have no idea what to do next?

Xx

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Having seen photos of Pippin I certainly don't think she is stressed. Nor do I think she could be bored.

My only theory is that maybe it's become a habit. Could she have got it into her head that when her fur on her chin gets to a certain length, it is suggesting to her that she doesn't want it there. Is it only in this spot? Have I understood correctly that she appears to leave it alone until she gets to the 5 week time? You could test this theory by monitoring the length of her fur and keeping it trimmed, so that it never gets to the length that it would be after 5 weeks. It may sound bizarre, but I cannot think of anything else.

Having seen photos of Pippin I certainly don't think she is stressed. Nor do I think she could be bored.

My only theory is that maybe it's become a habit. Could she have got it into her head that when her fur on her chin gets to a certain length, it is suggesting to her that she doesn't want it there. Is it only in this spot? Have I understood correctly that she appears to leave it alone until she gets to the 5 week time? You could test this theory by monitoring the length of her fur and keeping it trimmed, so that it never gets to the length that it would be after 5 weeks. It may sound bizarre, but I cannot think of anything else.
Thanks. I do hope that's she's happy.

Yes it's only in that spot that it goes bald some of her chest fur disappears too, but the new fur seems to always be already growing in that bit. Sometimes it's a larger patch, sometimes it's small.

But it's never on another bit of her body.

I think she only pulls it out every 5 weeks for a few days, but I think she's learnt to do it when we're not around! Certainly the bald patch grows back, which I guess it wouldn't if she was constantly nibbling at it.

I was thinking last night,, oh it's nearly all grown back. So perhaps she doesn't like it when it gets long.

Unfortunately there is no way she'd let me trim it! She is a wrigglesworth. I have wondered about making her a little fleece collar so she can't chew it but I was worried she'd might try to each that!

Update... Pip has been pulling fur most of the afternoon. Keep trying to distract her. Fingers crossed the hay keeps it moving through her system. Nice vet wasn't in today so going to get in touch on Monday to see what we do next.

Hello everyone, I'm looking for any other ideas as to what might be causing Pip to rip out and eat her chin fur every 5 weeks! Going to ring vet tomorrow to let them know she's done it again!

Soooo after speaking to the nice vet last time. He said he thought Pip was pulling her fur because she was in pain somewhere and was trying to tell us.

It's every 5 weeks, well the gas episodes are. I'm starting to wonder if she pulls out more often and her fur is growing back every 5 weeks so she can then pull more out causing a blockage/gas!
We haven't seen her pulling, but she must be doing it at night or when we are at work. I just checked her chin and it's bald!

Vet has so far ruled out mites, ear infection & teeth. Skin isn't inflamed and no dandruff, ears are completely clear and teeth are perfect.

She had a 10 day course of panacur and the fur pulling was weirdly 7 weeks. So we decided to try a 28day course in case it was a mild case of EC.

This doesn't seemed to have worked because she's got her bald patch back and I just found a poop full of fur 5 weeks after the last instance.

He said it was very unlikely it was hormonal because she isn't nesting.
I don't think she's bored because she doesn't do it constantly and cause herself any harm.

I don't think she's stressed but obviously it's hard to tell, but we've given them both more freedom and they've both been bunny flopping everywhere. She looks so content and happy.

Sorry it's a bit of a long post but I have no idea what to do next?

Xx

Sorry to hear about your dear little Pip x

Just a couple of thoughts .. Hair doesn't always - or even usually - cause a stasis or blockage episode. Otherwise my bunnies would be in constant stasis the way they moult :shock: I can pluck handful after handful off them and there's still lots left. Even if I didn't do that, they don't go into stasis. So I would be surprised that the hair is causing the stasis on each occasion.

Your vet may be right, she is in pain and pulls at it, and it's the pain that causes the stasis episode?

Has the vet ever taken a sample of the skin for biopsy? My Max had a similar problem ...

Sorry to hear about your dear little Pip x

Just a couple of thoughts .. Hair doesn't always - or even usually - cause a stasis or blockage episode. Otherwise my bunnies would be in constant stasis the way they moult :shock: I can pluck handful after handful off them and there's still lots left. Even if I didn't do that, they don't go into stasis. So I would be surprised that the hair is causing the stasis on each occasion.

Your vet may be right, she is in pain and pulls at it, and it's the pain that causes the stasis episode?

Has the vet ever taken a sample of the skin for biopsy? My Max had a similar problem ...
Hey MM.

Yeah I know hair doesn't usually cause it, but we think because of the volume of fur she eats within a short space of time it gives her gas which puts her off her food. She doesn't get stasis as such just belly presses. We can normally get her eating again within a few hrs. But sometimes we don't catch it quick enough and have to get pain relief and gut meds.

Her poops are literally full of her fur :-(

But yes there could be pain causing the gas too.

No skin biopsy has been done, but I'm wondering if I should ask for on? She doesn't have any obvious mite signs but she does itch the bottom of her ears a lot more than Archie.

What was wrong with Max?

Hey MM.

Yeah I know hair doesn't usually cause it, but we think because of the volume of fur she eats within a short space of time it gives her gas which puts her off her food. She doesn't get stasis as such just belly presses. We can normally get her eating again within a few hrs. But sometimes we don't catch it quick enough and have to get pain relief and gut meds.

Her poops are literally full of her fur :-(

But yes there could be pain causing the gas too.

No skin biopsy has been done, but I'm wondering if I should ask for on? She doesn't have any obvious mite signs but she does itch the bottom of her ears a lot more than Archie.

What was wrong with Max?

Max had a similar thing, though it wasn't every few weeks, it was every few minutes he chewed his back!

The vet went through everything, like yours, and eventually we did a skin biopsy. That turned up nothing so I was left to my own devices ...

I researched like mad and finally found an answer for it. We never found out what caused it exactly - the skin was sensitised and he just kept returning to it. But at least I managed to stop it completely, which was a very great relief!

Max had a similar thing, though it wasn't every few weeks, it was every few minutes he chewed his back!

The vet went through everything, like yours, and eventually we did a skin biopsy. That turned up nothing so I was left to my own devices ...

I researched like mad and finally found an answer for it. We never found out what caused it exactly - the skin was sensitised and he just kept returning to it. But at least I managed to stop it completely, which was a very great relief!
I'm glad you managed to help Max. I did read about sensitive skin and wondered about that.

Also been reading about wet dewlap from drinking from a bowl. Not sure, but if it got wet from drinking could it get itchy and then she'd pull it out? I guess it would only get wet as it got too long and dipped in the bowl?

I'm glad you managed to help Max. I did read about sensitive skin and wondered about that.

Also been reading about wet dewlap from drinking from a bowl. Not sure, but if it got wet from drinking could it get itchy and then she'd pull it out? I guess it would only get wet as it got too long and dipped in the bowl?

I was certainly lucky to be able to help Max. It was a bit like your problem with Pip - intractable and seemingly never having a solution. I do hope you manage to find a reason and conquer it - to save her skin and your sanity!

Yes a wet dewlap can certainly get itchy and sore, as it can harbour a fungal infection. If it dipped in the bowl, it may take a long time to dry and in the meantime irritate the skin and possibly cause a bacterial infection.

Some reading here:

http://rabbittalk.com/wet-dewlap-fungus-t16416.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/bacterial-fungal-infections.aspx

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?123332-Dewlap-concern

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-9/skin.html

Chronic Wetness Leads to Problems
If a rabbit's skin is chronically exposed to moisture, then baldness, redness, and crusting may develop, and bacterial infection may follow. The source of the moisture may be the environment (water crocks, leaky water bottle, damp litter, overgrooming by another rabbit) or the rabbit's own body fluids (urine leakage, fecal staining, drooling due to dental problems, or eye discharge). Infection by the bacterium Pseudomonas aeruginosa sometimes causes a moist dermatitis which shows as a blueish discoloration of the fur. If drinking water is contaminated with Pseudomonas, rigorous disinfection or replacement of water containers is essential.

I was certainly lucky to be able to help Max. It was a bit like your problem with Pip - intractable and seemingly never having a solution. I do hope you manage to find a reason and conquer it - to save her skin and your sanity!

Yes a wet dewlap can certainly get itchy and sore, as it can harbour a fungal infection. If it dipped in the bowl, it may take a long time to dry and in the meantime irritate the skin and possibly cause a bacterial infection.

Some reading here:

http://rabbittalk.com/wet-dewlap-fungus-t16416.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/bacterial-fungal-infections.aspx

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?123332-Dewlap-concern

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-9/skin.html

Chronic Wetness Leads to Problems
If a rabbit's skin is chronically exposed to moisture, then baldness, redness, and crusting may develop, and bacterial infection may follow. The source of the moisture may be the environment (water crocks, leaky water bottle, damp litter, overgrooming by another rabbit) or the rabbit's own body fluids (urine leakage, fecal staining, drooling due to dental problems, or eye discharge). Infection by the bacterium Pseudomonas aeruginosa sometimes causes a moist dermatitis which shows as a blueish discoloration of the fur. If drinking water is contaminated with Pseudomonas, rigorous disinfection or replacement of water containers is essential.
Thanks Mighty Max

I've read through all those links now I'm home. I'm not convinced on the wet dewlap because it's always dry under there when I get a peek. Also it doesn't look sore or flaky just weirdly bald!

She is mysterious

Thanks Mighty Max

I've read through all those links now I'm home. I'm not convinced on the wet dewlap because it's always dry under there when I get a peek. Also it doesn't look sore or flaky just weirdly bald!

She is mysterious

Even if you never find out what the problem is, it would be nice to clear it up.

Could the vet (or you) shave it and apply a healing cream constantly?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

It is not only a healing cream, but has analgesic and pain killing properties too.
I know I've mentioned it before, and it would take some upkeep to keep the area shaved and creamed, but may be a good idea in the long run? I might try that if it were my bun ......

Even if you never find out what the problem is, it would be nice to clear it up.

Could the vet (or you) shave it and apply a healing cream constantly?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

It is not only a healing cream, but has analgesic and pain killing properties too.
I know I've mentioned it before, and it would take some upkeep to keep the area shaved and creamed, but may be a good idea in the long run? I might try that if it were my bun ......
I've emailed the vet and asked him to call me tomorrow to discuss what we do next.

She hasn't pulled any fur since I got home and is zooming around like normal. She has decided it's digging time and keeps digging my OH'S jumper. She does seem to do this in phases.

Just throwing this out there but it couldn't be her tooth roots causing her problems, could it?
Just wondering if she maybe is drooling or an abscess has formed somewhere causing issues. You'd only be able to diagnose this through Xrays so I'd do that as a last resort.

Just throwing this out there but it couldn't be her tooth roots causing her problems, could it?
Just wondering if she maybe is drooling or an abscess has formed somewhere causing issues. You'd only be able to diagnose this through Xrays so I'd do that as a last resort.
Hi vegan bunny

I don't think so because it's not wet or matted under there. Just looks like she has been shaved. The vet checked her jaw for assesses and I think she'd pull the fur constantly.

Thanks for the idea though. I had originally considered this, but it doesn't fit with he symptoms x

Hi vegan bunny

I don't think so because it's not wet or matted under there. Just looks like she has been shaved. The vet checked her jaw for assesses and I think she'd pull the fur constantly.

Thanks for the idea though. I had originally considered this, but it doesn't fit with he symptoms x

Hmmm. It is certainly very strange. I think possibly putting her on some kind of pain relief would be worth doing to see if it is a response to pain. It could just be a habit and purely behavioural.

Hmmm. It is certainly very strange. I think possibly putting her on some kind of pain relief would be worth doing to see if it is a response to pain. It could just be a habit and purely behavioural.
Yep definitely strange. I think the vets are just as confused. She was just sat under my blanket with me "investigating" her burrow. Haha.

I'll let you know what the vet suggests next.

I'm still thinking this is behavioural rather than anything wrong or anything causing pain. I think that maybe the first time it could have been something that has irritated her there and she has made it feel better by pulling the fur out. She now has got into the habit of pulling the fur out if it reaches normal length again (hence the five week gaps).

I would certainly discuss it with your vet, although I admit it sounds a bit bizarre. Maybe if she won't allow you to trim it, you could get the vet to do it or even shave it like MM suggested.

I'm still thinking this is behavioural rather than anything wrong or anything causing pain. I think that maybe the first time it could have been something that has irritated her there and she has made it feel better by pulling the fur out. She now has got into the habit of pulling the fur out if it reaches normal length again (hence the five week gaps).

I would certainly discuss it with your vet, although I admit it sounds a bit bizarre. Maybe if she won't allow you to trim it, you could get the vet to do it or even shave it like MM suggested.

With my Max I guess it was something that had originally irritated him, and then he began to pick at the area until it was really sore.

Only physically stopping him from getting to it (I sewed him a special vest/top) and a cream I spent hours researching for this very purpose, actually stopped him.

The vet was at a loss, as we had done absolutely everything we could think of.

There is hope. My Max got better :D

Yep it could be that. And I have been thinking about making her a t shirt to wear to break the cycle. Mighty Max do you have a photo of what you made for max?

Since my last message she has got really really loud gas gurgles! :-( she's eaten a few raspberry leaves but not eaten them all like normal. Might have to go to ER vets [emoji27]

Just got home from ER vets! Pip got worse and would eat anything. They've given her medicam. I've got gut drugs to give if needed. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make her better x

Back