Thread: Hay allergy - recommendations?

Default Hay allergy - recommendations?

Hi guys, I have year round rhinitis/hay fever and seem to be allergic to my buns hay (Timothy and meadow). Any suggestions for better types or brands for allergy sufferers? Mine is bog standard, from local supplier. Cost is an issue too... (I've heard oxbow Timothy is good as it is dust extracted, but it costs triple my current hay!)

Warren Veteran

Yes, I agree it would be best to try to use hay that has minimum dust. I use https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/, which is relatively dust-free. I don't know how that would compare with what you're using at the moment. Do bear in mind though that sometimes the allergy is to the hay itself and reducing dust would have no impact.

That looks a lot better value than oxbow, thank you. Hope it's not the hay itself I'm allergic to, as then I don't know what to do! its a big pack from timothyhay.co.uk, is the packaging suitable for storing in an outside shed?

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MiniLopMum1 View Post
    That looks a lot better value than oxbow, thank you. Hope it's not the hay itself I'm allergic to, as then I don't know what to do! its a big pack from timothyhay.co.uk, is the packaging suitable for storing in an outside shed?
    It's where I keep mine, in the rabbit's shed on a shelf. It comes in a white sack.

I actually find Timothy hay the worst for my hayfever, meadow hay in bales the best as the dust seems to dissipate. Also helps to put some Vaseline round the nose when dealing with it, captures the pollen.

Photos: Mischa/Mini/Nutmeg/Smudge/Imogen/Instagram Housing Stickies: Indoor/Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by MiniLopMum1 View Post

There are several ways to store hay without it going mouldy. I am sure that in an outside shed would be fine. The packaging from timothy hay.co.uk would be good for storing

I'm sorry you're allergic, that's a real problem. My friend was allergic to his cat's fur when he first got him, but managed to find a remedy and now no longer suffers. I have even had rabbits who are allergic to their own hay, and got around that issue. There is hope!