• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor cages

Anyone know where sells indoor cages that mean minimum requirements please? Not for me.

I am assuming it's for a Rabbit ?

If so, what about a Dog Crate. I dont think any of the Indoor Rabbit Cages offer adequate space. At least with a Dog Crate additional levels could be added.

What's the set-up? Monty free ranges the whole flat, so although his bog-standard P@H hutch doesn't technically meet the min. recs., it's spacious enough to accommodate what he needs it for - so if there's plenty of space outside the hutch, I would think a good sized one from any of the established retailers would be fine.

Anyone know where sells indoor cages that mean minimum requirements please? Not for me.

I've looked into this when rehoming rabbits. Very difficult to find anything where a rabbit can hop along inside the cage. A dog crate doesn't allow for this, and possibly wouldn't pass a home visit requirements.

A custom made 'pen' or a well made hutch of the required size?

We bought two XL dog crates and attached them together. We also have a puppy pen attached. I couldn't find a cage big enough so we made our own.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I know zooplus sell the plaza 160 which I think you can add to. I would use something as a base and have puppy panels though. MUCH cheaper and roomier. Also the 160 would not be suitable for them to be shut in (as I am sure you know).

We bought two XL dog crates and attached them together. We also have a puppy pen attached. I couldn't find a cage big enough so we made our own.

I would go down this route as a cheap, safe and practical solution. It would give around 8-10' x 3', plus there is plenty of height to put a substantial shelf / platform across the rear half of each crate, plus additional floor space with a set of puppy panels.

I think this is the answer - but how attractive it could be I'm not sure?

Mervinius, this must be massive for your two cuties?

I think this is the answer - but how attractive it could be I'm not sure?

Mervinius, this must be massive for your two cuties?
Not sure whether you'd say it was attractive but my two cuties love it!

Gives them plenty of room to cause mischief!

I can't find a picture of their setup so you'll just have to look at an adorable photo of them. I can take one later if you want though.
a3028371b083dd360480a1c18b713777.jpg

Not sure whether you'd say it was attractive but my two cuties love it!

Gives them plenty of room to cause mischief!

I can't find a picture of their setup so you'll just have to look at an adorable photo of them. I can take one later if you want though.
a3028371b083dd360480a1c18b713777.jpg

OMG I dare not show that to OH - he will go crazy with wanting more rabbits :lol:

Regarding the 'attractivity' of it .. I mentioned that because on my home visits people ask what it's going to look like in their living rooms, and they are not all quite as bonkers as we are over our buns ..

<MM goes back for another peek at the cuties :love::love:>

Thanks everyone :). I lost this thread! I found some of the old pics - re dog crates / puppy pens / c&c cages so linked those to my friend.

It was just a FB friend who'd been turned down by RSPCA re cage size so I wanted to give them some options. My buns are shed/aviary so I didn't know if someone had invented a decent cage since x

OMG I dare not show that to OH - he will go crazy with wanting more rabbits [emoji38]

Regarding the 'attractivity' of it .. I mentioned that because on my home visits people ask what it's going to look like in their living rooms, and they are not all quite as bonkers as we are over our buns ..

<MM goes back for another peek at the cuties :love::love:>
Hahaha. They are irresistible in that photo.

Yeah my parents think we're bonkers. They said wow the bunnies have half of your lounge.

I think the plaza 160 is the biggest typical looking indoor rabbit cage you can buy, it doesn't meet the requirements alone BUT it's designed so that you can add extensions or even put two cages together. Last time I looked zooplus were the cheapest for the plaza 140 and 160. You can get individual extensions from other websites but they're about £40 so in my opinion you might as well just buy a 140 to add on

i find two dog pens (ellie bo) linked together work well .. with the advantage that when the furries are outdoors for spring/summer/autumn it's easy to fold the front panels in and use the space. Nowhere near as nice as the boyle setups though ...

Back