Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87

Thread: Gutted for Xena. Finally some good news for my strong girl. :)

  1. #21
    Warren Veteran Vegan_Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    8,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tabithakat64 View Post
    We've managed all sorts of long term and reoccurring ear infections at the rescue. Thankfully both the bunnies who suffered recently we managed to find off licence antibiotics or ear drops following swabs that curded them after months, has a swab been taken?
    No, not yet but I did overhear the vet mention it so may well be an option. She's going back after this lot of abx has been given for a follow up. She is absolutely fine in herself, which I'm surprised about because she looks a bit of a mess.

  2. #22
    Warren Veteran Vegan_Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    8,389

    Default

    Xena went for her checkup today. It's not good news. Her ears are no better.
    My vet cleaned her ears out and said that she would open up her ear canals. I told her no. I don't want to out her through surgery when she's only got about 6 months left. :,( My vet agreed and said it would be very risky anyway with her existing problems.
    She's given me some canaural for now and I'm to keep an eye on her. I asked about doing a swab but my vet didn't seem to think it would make much difference, however, she said we could do one if I wanted but we'd have to wait 7 days because of the abx.
    After 7 days I'm going to make an appointment with the rabbit vet and see what she says. I don't really think there is much else we can do. The abx were the strongest and have done literally nothing to clear her ears up. They are still squelchy and the vet got quite a bit of yuk out of her ears.
    I just feel so gutted and sad. Nit really sure where we go from here.

  3. #23
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan_Bunny View Post
    Xena went for her checkup today. It's not good news. Her ears are no better.
    My vet cleaned her ears out and said that she would open up her ear canals. I told her no. I don't want to out her through surgery when she's only got about 6 months left. :,( My vet agreed and said it would be very risky anyway with her existing problems.
    She's given me some canaural for now and I'm to keep an eye on her. I asked about doing a swab but my vet didn't seem to think it would make much difference, however, she said we could do one if I wanted but we'd have to wait 7 days because of the abx.
    After 7 days I'm going to make an appointment with the rabbit vet and see what she says. I don't really think there is much else we can do. The abx were the strongest and have done literally nothing to clear her ears up. They are still squelchy and the vet got quite a bit of yuk out of her ears.
    I just feel so gutted and sad. Nit really sure where we go from here.
    I am sorry that there has been no improvement. Did the Vet clean out the pus again yesterday ?

    I certainly agree with you re not wanting to put Xena through surgery. The procedure is brutal, even for an otherwise 'well' Rabbit.

  4. #24
    Warren Veteran Vegan_Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    8,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I am sorry that there has been no improvement. Did the Vet clean out the pus again yesterday ?

    I certainly agree with you re not wanting to put Xena through surgery. The procedure is brutal, even for an otherwise 'well' Rabbit.
    Yes she cleaned her ears out and gave me some ear drops as a last ditch attempt. What would you do in this situation? She's ok in herself but has been scratching her ears and damaging them a bit, so they're definitely bothering her. Vet doesn't think she's in pain but deffo in some discomfort. I'm gutted.

  5. #25
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan_Bunny View Post
    Xena went for her checkup today. It's not good news. Her ears are no better.
    My vet cleaned her ears out and said that she would open up her ear canals. I told her no. I don't want to out her through surgery when she's only got about 6 months left. :,( My vet agreed and said it would be very risky anyway with her existing problems.
    She's given me some canaural for now and I'm to keep an eye on her. I asked about doing a swab but my vet didn't seem to think it would make much difference, however, she said we could do one if I wanted but we'd have to wait 7 days because of the abx.
    After 7 days I'm going to make an appointment with the rabbit vet and see what she says. I don't really think there is much else we can do. The abx were the strongest and have done literally nothing to clear her ears up. They are still squelchy and the vet got quite a bit of yuk out of her ears.
    I just feel so gutted and sad. Nit really sure where we go from here.

    So sorry to her this

  6. #26
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan_Bunny View Post
    Yes she cleaned her ears out and gave me some ear drops as a last ditch attempt. What would you do in this situation? She's ok in herself but has been scratching her ears and damaging them a bit, so they're definitely bothering her. Vet doesn't think she's in pain but deffo in some discomfort. I'm gutted.
    The Canaural contains a steroid aswell as abx so it should act quickly to reduce the inflammation/irritation. She may not like having the drops put in, but if you massage the ear base well after applying it, it can help. I'd have a look into each ear after you have applied the drops as sometimes it brings a huge amount of gunk out. You'd need to gently wipe it away with a bit of cotton wool.

  7. #27
    Warren Veteran Vegan_Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Middlesbrough
    Posts
    8,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    The Canaural contains a steroid aswell as abx so it should act quickly to reduce the inflammation/irritation. She may not like having the drops put in, but if you massage the ear base well after applying it, it can help. I'd have a look into each ear after you have applied the drops as sometimes it brings a huge amount of gunk out. You'd need to gently wipe it away with a bit of cotton wool.
    Would I need a scope to do this? I just checked on her and she does look a mess. Her ears are really squelching so I think the drops have softened the wax and pus up. I massaged her ears but she pulled away, shaking her head and ears and flicking her feet at me. She's still very enthusiastic about her food but she was sat hunched up in the corner before she noticed me.

  8. #28
    Forum Buddy Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    22,943

    Default

    Sending the hugest of hugs and lots of vibes. You are doing the best you can for her, as always xx

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  9. #29
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan_Bunny View Post
    Would I need a scope to do this? I just checked on her and she does look a mess. Her ears are really squelching so I think the drops have softened the wax and pus up. I massaged her ears but she pulled away, shaking her head and ears and flicking her feet at me. She's still very enthusiastic about her food but she was sat hunched up in the corner before she noticed me.
    An otoscope is a very useful tool, but it is important to exercise extreme caution when inserting anything into the ear canals, especially when there is already active infection. The head shaking will dislodge some of the gunk and it can actually fly out of the ears !! The canaural is very oily, so if a lot gets on the fur then the Rabbit will look very bedraggled. It can also cause the 'squelchy' sound from the ears. Trying to strike a balance between applying enough canaural/dose to be therapeutic, but not too much so that loads leaks back out can be tricky. We want to minimise the amount of canaural the Rabbit may ingest when they groom themselves.

    Personally I'd want the Vet to take another look at Xena's ears in the next couple of days. Keeping on top of the pus/gunk build up is important and at one stage I was having to flush Morse's ear canals out daily. Otherwise the canaural would just sit on top of a huge plug of thick pus.

    My Vet did show me how to use an otoscope safely and how to clean out as much pus/gunk as possible. But if any 'deep cleaning' was needed I left it to my Vet, sometimes Morse needed to have it done under sedation.

  10. #30
    Warren Veteran keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    6,259

    Default

    Best wishes for Xena
    The geeky one...



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •