• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gutted for Xena. Finally some good news for my strong girl. :)

It's ok. It was literally just rambles. I managed today but had to reschedule Fiver's appointment. Got one for Monday so it's not too bad. Shadowfax is still perfectly ok and her poos are fine so hoping it was just a one off.
Xena seems to be much happier. Her eye is looking good as well so I'm feeling more positive. She's been a ****** today and was lunging at me because I wasn't feeding her fast enough!
Fiver and Shadowfax are bar biting. I finally penned off my bed after I discovered they had been tearing my mattress up from under the bed. Of course they've just sat and barbit..

It's ok. It was literally just rambles. I managed today but had to reschedule Fiver's appointment. Got one for Monday so it's not too bad. Shadowfax is still perfectly ok and her poos are fine so hoping it was just a one off.
Xena seems to be much happier. Her eye is looking good as well so I'm feeling more positive. She's been a ****** today and was lunging at me because I wasn't feeding her fast enough!
Fiver and Shadowfax are bar biting. I finally penned off my bed after I discovered they had been tearing my mattress up from under the bed. Of course they've just sat and barbit..

:shock:

Have they done much damage?

Fortunately I noticed it quite soon. They've made a medium sized hole and pulled out some stuffing.
On a night I take down the pen because I can hear them tearing anything up and can stop them...so Fiver decided to jump on my bed and **** on it whilst I was asleep. I'm at my wits end. I'm going to have to post in rabbit chat or something for suggestions to stop the bar biting and peeing/pooing on my bed. I'm beyond fedup.

Fortunately I noticed it quite soon. They've made a medium sized hole and pulled out some stuffing.
On a night I take down the pen because I can hear them tearing anything up and can stop them...so Fiver decided to jump on my bed and **** on it whilst I was asleep. I'm at my wits end. I'm going to have to post in rabbit chat or something for suggestions to stop the bar biting and peeing/pooing on my bed. I'm beyond fedup.

Just seen your other thread :(

I would be fed up too :(

Yeh. I'm not in a good place atm and they're just making everything worse. I'm also a bit gutted because Fiver jumps onto my bed every morning and has cuddles with me and licks my arms and hands. I love having that time with him, lately it's been the only time I get with him. As stupid as it sounds I'm a bit hurt that he just ****** on my bed this morning for no reason other than to be a shithead.

They're bar biting now.

https://youtu.be/LJcOfQFTgZM

Got a video of Xena today. This is what I am greeted with every time I walk past her room haha. My gorgeous girl. ❤ She has been happy flopping (scaring the **** out if me) and sprawling out again so I'm sure she is feeling happier within herself. Going to pop her to the vets this week or next for a checkup on her ears.

Got a video of Xena today. This is what I am greeted with every time I walk past her room haha. My gorgeous girl. ❤ She has been happy flopping (scaring the **** out if me) and sprawling out again so I'm sure she is feeling happier within herself. Going to pop her to the vets this week or next for a checkup on her ears.

Awwwww she looks to be coping well at the moment, bless her :love:

She is gorgeous :love: She also looks very happy.

Awww...what a sweetheart! :) Looks like she's playing hide and seek with you! :love: Mimzy used to do that when I first got him.

She does look blissfully happy, precious girlie. I hope her checkup goes well. :love: xxxxx

She looks absolutely gorgeous :love:

Does she wait for morning treats?

You've given her a fantastic play area, though I got a temporary shock when I saw the white rabbit (?) on the house :lol:

She looks absolutely gorgeous :love:

Does she wait for morning treats?

You've given her a fantastic play area, though I got a temporary shock when I saw the white rabbit (?) on the house :lol:

It's actually an Ikea rat haha. She has a stuffed bunny somewhere in that room as well. She never bothers with them but figured if she was feeling lonely they were better than nothing. She's certainly not lonely haha. She loves having her own space. She goes mad when she sees me walk out if my room on a morning. Runs up and down and round and round lol. She periscopes because she knows how cute she is with her crossed front paws. ❤ She always gets something for it now haha. I can't resist and at this point I need her to keep her weight on. She got a fibafirst stick in that video...hence the happy running about to find "the perfect place" to eat it haha. On a morning she gets an alfalfa cube and porridge with her meds in, which is apparently the best thing in the world. She practically mugs me for it.

It's actually an Ikea rat haha. She has a stuffed bunny somewhere in that room as well. She never bothers with them but figured if she was feeling lonely they were better than nothing. She's certainly not lonely haha. She loves having her own space. She goes mad when she sees me walk out if my room on a morning. Runs up and down and round and round lol. She periscopes because she knows how cute she is with her crossed front paws. ❤ She always gets something for it now haha. I can't resist and at this point I need her to keep her weight on. She got a fibafirst stick in that video...hence the happy running about to find "the perfect place" to eat it haha. On a morning she gets an alfalfa cube and porridge with her meds in, which is apparently the best thing in the world. She practically mugs me for it.

Well fibafirst is a food not a treat, so don't tell her that or she will want more actual 'treats' :lol:

She's a proper darling that bun :love:

Alfalfa and porridge - yes I can see that featuring in Bunny Heaven :)

Well fibafirst is a food not a treat, so don't tell her that or she will want more actual 'treats' :lol:

She's a proper darling that bun :love:

Alfalfa and porridge - yes I can see that featuring in Bunny Heaven :)

Yeh, I just give her one or two a day as an added extra. As well as her pellets, fresh forage, hay, readigrass, porridge, alfalfa cubes...yeh, she might be a bit spoilt. Haha.

Xena is at the vets tomorrow for a check on her ears. I have an awful feeling that she may have some respiratory issue. I've noticed, in the past couple of days, that her breathing is more audible. Not noisy but I can hear her breathe, which is not normal. Her ears seem to be no better and are still making horrible squelchy noises. She's also getting less tolerant of the canaural and has even been trying to bite me and run away when I administer it. :(
Fiver is back at the vets for a check on his teeth and to weigh him (he had lost quite a bit of weight) and Shadowfax is going for a second opinion on her teeth. Vet thinks she needs a dental but I want to make sure because I can't really afford it on top of everything else.
What are your opinions on vaccinating Xena? She is due her combi and needs the new vhd2 vac. Bearing in mind that she is clearly not well atm and I'm really worried her immune system is shot. I don't think I'm going to have her much longer. 😔 Feeling really nervous about the vets.
I am also going to ask about a payment plan if Shadowfax does indeed need a dental.
I've also decided to sign onto job seeker's allowance and try to get a job to pay for it all alongside my dog walking business.

Xena is at the vets tomorrow for a check on her ears. I have an awful feeling that she may have some respiratory issue. I've noticed, in the past couple of days, that her breathing is more audible. Not noisy but I can hear her breathe, which is not normal. Her ears seem to be no better and are still making horrible squelchy noises. She's also getting less tolerant of the canaural and has even been trying to bite me and run away when I administer it. :(
Fiver is back at the vets for a check on his teeth and to weigh him (he had lost quite a bit of weight) and Shadowfax is going for a second opinion on her teeth. Vet thinks she needs a dental but I want to make sure because I can't really afford it on top of everything else.
What are your opinions on vaccinating Xena? She is due her combi and needs the new vhd2 vac. Bearing in mind that she is clearly not well atm and I'm really worried her immune system is shot. I don't think I'm going to have her much longer. 😔 Feeling really nervous about the vets.
I am also going to ask about a payment plan if Shadowfax does indeed need a dental.
I've also decided to sign onto job seeker's allowance and try to get a job to pay for it all alongside my dog walking business.

Ear infections and upper respiratory tract infections are often linked. The Vet may want to put Xena back onto a systemic abx if the findings on examination suggest that she now has a URTI.

As for vaccinating her. Well the Vaccine data sheets states that 'only health animals should be vaccinated'

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

BUT, this is the opinion of FHB on the matter :

'My vet said my rabbit was not well enough to be vaccinated. What do I do?

It is not harmful for an ill or old rabbit to be vaccinated. The problem is that a rabbit may not respond to a vaccine if it is already fighting a disease or is ill enough to have a suppressed immune system. Treating the animal or delaying vaccination will increase the chance of the vaccine protecting the rabbit. If the rabbit is old, there is an argument that it needs to be vaccinated more than a healthy one because it would be less able to fight disease. An analogy can be made with ‘flu vaccination in people where elderly people are vaccinated. Whether to vaccinate an old or ill rabbit in the midst of a disease outbreak is a decision that needs to be made by the owner and their vet. My choice would be to vaccinate my rabbit and, if the rabbit was ill, repeat the vaccine when the rabbit had recovered in order to give it the greatest chance of protection.''

Taken from here :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Personally I think the decision whether or not to vaccinate a sick Rabbit needs to be made on an individual case basis. So I'd discuss it all in full with your Vet.

I hope that SF and Fiver's check up goes well and that SF wont need another Dental. Maybe have a chat with the Vet re setting up a payment plan anyway, it may take some of the stress from you if something like that is in place.

Sending you all lots of vibes xx

Vibes for you, you've got a lot on your plate at the moment x

Back