• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beano (24/02/10 - 10/07/17)

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I was 13 when I got Beano, my first rabbit and first pet that was my sole responsibility. I knew very little about rabbits, and had gone to the local garden centre with my parents when I saw her. She was in with a few siblings but she really stood out to me :love: I nagged my parents for her there and then, my dad gave in and I bought her. I named her Beano after a rabbit in one of my favourite books at the time, that rabbit was an albino and a boy but that didn't stop me and left Beano being called 'he' for the first of her life by every new vet etc :oops: I set her up in an admittedly very small cage, but she got lots of free range time in my room. I soon learned it wasn't a good idea to feed her unlimited pellets and commercial treats, and digestive biscuits! And got her vaccinated and soon learned about spaying, when she reached 6 months she became very territorial and 'aggressive' to people which led to her getting a reputation amongst my family and the vets! It never changed how much I loved her though. After her spay she moved outside to the shed where I ditched the cage and got her a large run, which was for my birthday and christmas it cost so much! :lol:

I then joined RU and found Gordon, it was a very easy bond and they lived happily together :love: When I moved to Uni I couldn't leave them behind so searched for weeks to find some where that would allow pets, and finally found a flat. They settled into free range indoor life easily and I loved spending all day with them. Although Beano has always loved garden time so as soon as I had saved I looked to move to a house with a garden so she could spend time outside again. Shortly before the move Gordon passed away after battling illness :cry: Beano was then bonded with Jake, but they didn't have the same bond. I hope they still enjoyed each others company though. Beano started to show her age and struggling with hind leg mobility, after tests we concluded it was a neurological issue and she was on medication to support her but we couldn't reverse or slow the damage. She battled on but one day she could no longer move and I knew Beano wouldn't cope with being that disabled. She was never a hands on rabbit, very strong and independent so I had to give her that back. She was helped to the bridge very peacefully and quickly. I took her back to my parents and burried her in the garden she loved, nearby Boris rabbit.

Thank you for introducing me to the lovely world of rabbits Beano, you were such a character and I will never forget you. Back with Gordon now, binky free and I will see you again one day :love:

Due to photobucket playing up I can't access a lot of my pictures to post them here. So here are the more recent ones I have to hand. I have a scrap book of my favourite pics of Beano and Gordon so I am not with out them.

My last picture :cry: I'm so sorry you got poorly, it wasn't fair and I hope I did my best for you

xxx

Im so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Beano :cry: she was obviously very special and I'm sure she knew just how much you loved her. I know that you did do your very best for her. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free at the bridge Beano xx

Hi. So sorry to read your post but you clearly loved beano and stopped her suffering. It's hard with hind limb weakness as they are still so alert but they know things are not right. You helped her when you knew the time was right.

What a lovely tribute. I'm sorry she's gone, but glad that you found her all those years ago. Binky free Beano xx

Beano was obviously a very much loved friend. I am sure that she will always remain within your heart.

Binky Free Beano xx

Back