• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay tastic help

Colly

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, just looking for some ideas of how to contain hay in a house? I have 2 house buns, they have the run of the house...but in the dinning room they have their own little set up. Which consists of some plastic floor covered with puppy pads (one bunny cannot get used to weeing in the litter tray)...a litter tray and a couple of tunnels (I change some of it regularly to keep it interesting)....my problem is containing hay...they tip all their hay all over the place and pee in it, so it becomes inedible...and then the hay goes everywhere!!! I've tried several ideas...a little hay manger...they tip it up (well one bunny does)...a little plastic tray...they sit in it and pee all over the fresh hay....it's like I've put another litter tray there for them :lol:....How do you guys do it???? any help would be much appreciated always! Thanks x

I just put up with hay everywhere and sweep regularly! In all honesty, I think for indoor bunnies you just have to accept a certain amount of chaos. But then I just have hay in the litter tray and change it regularly, so I'm not trying to keep it separate. Sorry not to be more helpful!

I have 2 house bunnies too... and although they have their own bedroom which is 'theirs', they also have the rest of the house! :lol:

they have one large storage box as their main litter tray and then on the other side of the room, they also have a old cage bottom, and inside it and up one corner have a normal sized litter tray filled with hay as well. We always end up finding strands of loose hay everywhere, but it is far more contained this way! :)

I'll try and upload some pics later for you xx

Thank you I'd really appreciate that...:) x

No problem, this is what we have;

The large storage box is great for both of them, and does contain the majority of the hay! :)

then the littler one on the left is inside an old cage base so again, most stays contained in there.. xx

ah no, I didnt realise sorry... does anyone else have any other alternative I can use? xx
There was a thread about it a few days ago, I think imgur, flicker or link through Facebook were the common suggestions
If you use Tapatalk on your phone you can post photos using them

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I have one bunny who has hay in her little tray in the lounge and sometimes I put the bag down for her as she loves to eat straight from the bag, but the hay goes everywhere. Seems to stick to my slippers and gets upstairs. I'm always hovering now, for one little bunny it's a big mess!

Tidied up before the photograph.

I have two indoor guinea pigs and they have a cage in the dining room. They have a huge hay area but somehow it goes all over the floor. I use the wonder broom to sweep it up (hoover keeps blocking with hay) and put it in the bin with my hands and a dustpan and brush.

The broom has rubber bristles and costs about a tenner.

Have a look at Manor Pet Housing. I have the large litter tray, hay tower and hay bar. All work brilliantly to contain hay. Hardly ever have to pick up hay and normally when I do it's because I've dropped it [emoji38]

Attached pictures of my hay holders.

af21647d990edffebb761ddd52a31f34.jpg

8831033dd97d9c2261cd7d2f6772415e.jpg

eaf7c8d2bec82a0e186286fe2e6bd04c.jpg

Last edited:
Back