• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange GI Stasis

Ponymad21

Warren Scout
Brandi was taken to the vets with stasis yesterday given meds and fibreplex, this morning he won't ea hay or pellets again, but is loving bramble leaves!

We've been given fibreplex but it tastes of carrot, Brandi hates carrot, so keeps spitting it out! Any tips?

I'm taking him back to the vet if he's not eating by the time they open

Last edited:
Brandi was taken to the vets with stasis yesterday given meds and fibreplex, this morning he won't ea hay or pellets again, but is loving bramble leaves!

We've been given fibreplex but it tastes of carrot, Brandi hates carrot, so keeps spitting it out! Any tips?

I'm taking him back to the vet if he's not eating by the time they open

Has Brandi passed any poo overnight ? What comes out is as important as what goes in.
I assume the Vet checked his teeth, Dental problems can cause a Rabbit to stop eating and this then leads to gut stasis.
Did the Vet prescribe pain relief ? A Rabbit in pain will not eat.

Brambles are great for helping gut motility, so even if Brandi is not taking the fibreplex the Brambles will help. Fluids are very important too. Fluid therapy can be extremely beneficial to a Rabbit in gut stasis.

This link may be useful to read

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Brandi feels better soon :)

Has Brandi passed any poo overnight ? What comes out is as important as what goes in.
I assume the Vet checked his teeth, Dental problems can cause a Rabbit to stop eating and this then leads to gut stasis.
Did the Vet prescribe pain relief ? A Rabbit in pain will not eat.

Brambles are great for helping gut motility, so even if Brandi is not taking the fibreplex the Brambles will help. Fluids are very important too. Fluid therapy can be extremely beneficial to a Rabbit in gut stasis.

This link may be useful to read

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Brandi feels better soon :)

He pooed over night and this morning :) though he didn't eat all his cecals he ate most of them and only left 1 pile!

He had gut movement drugs and pain relief injections yesterday at the vet but he wasn't dehydrated

If you have any Metacam, it could be worth giving a dose today. It does make a big difference.

It can take a few days for eating to return to normal - they start with exciting food (like herbs and bramble leaves), then take treats, then start eating a few pellets. It could be worth topping up with some critical care food if he's not taking much food.

If you have any Metacam, it could be worth giving a dose today. It does make a big difference.

It can take a few days for eating to return to normal - they start with exciting food (like herbs and bramble leaves), then take treats, then start eating a few pellets. It could be worth topping up with some critical care food if he's not taking much food.

He hates critical care but I have just syringed 1ml to him, he was eating hay and pellets last night

I hope you got on OK at the vet :wave:

He had painkillers and gut stimulants and I've got more gut stimulants to inject tonight, he's really quiet

He's my third bunny with stasis since January, neither of the other 2 survived, one had suspected liver disease and the other died under anaesthetic

He had painkillers and gut stimulants and I've got more gut stimulants to inject tonight, he's really quiet

He's my third bunny with stasis since January, neither of the other 2 survived, one had suspected liver disease and the other died under anaesthetic

I'm sending my best and wonderful vibes for your rabbit, and hugs for you xx

Has the bunny been having regular pain relief? This is usually a huge help alongside the other meds? Its usually given every 12 hours?

Sorry if I've missed anything I did just skim through the comments, Milo has had stasis twice! Awful business I hope your bun is better soon!

Has the bunny been having regular pain relief? This is usually a huge help alongside the other meds? Its usually given every 12 hours?

Sorry if I've missed anything I did just skim through the comments, Milo has had stasis twice! Awful business I hope your bun is better soon!
He had some this morning

ANOTHER THING!

I walked into the garden Friday and found him sitting against the bars of his run, with another rabbit beside him on the other side of the bars!

It was our neighbors rabbit, she'd dug under the fence, apparently she did it quite frequently and they just called her back for dinner, could it be possible he's missing her if she was coming over daily?

ANOTHER THING!

I walked into the garden Friday and found him sitting against the bars of his run, with another rabbit beside him on the other side of the bars!

It was our neighbors rabbit, she'd dug under the fence, apparently she did it quite frequently and they just called her back for dinner, could it be possible he's missing her if she was coming over daily?

Perhaps not missing her, but stressed maybe?

Also, is she vaccinated, and is Brandi vaccinated?

Weirder and weirder :)

Back