• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Options for bereaved 7 year old bunny?

BexPets

Warren Scout
Hi, do you think I should try to bond my 7 year old bunny (Dino) again? He has just lost his partner but I don't have a lot of time at the moment to spend on the bonding process.
I don't want to get a new rabbit and then the bond not work out. I've considered giving him to a shelter to bond with one of theirs and then we take both home, but to be truthfully honest, our hutches have fallen into such disrepair in the past few years (while still being functional and spacious) that I don't know if they'd pass a home visit. They look old and battered but they still work as hutches.
We have another bunny in the hutch next door to this one, who's 9 and who we found impossible to bond after he was bereaved 3 years ago, and I don't know if having the two side by side will be enough company for each.

N.B. My mum and brother look after the rabbits while I'm at university, so while they have good care being fed, exercised and whatnot, my mother hasn't bonded rabbits before so doesn't really know how.

I'm sorry for your loss :cry: I would think so long as your hutch/run are of the correct size and predator proof a rabbit shelter should rehome to you, otherwise is it possible to have your rabbits as house rabbits if someone is home for enough company?

Hi, do you think I should try to bond my 7 year old bunny (Dino) again? He has just lost his partner but I don't have a lot of time at the moment to spend on the bonding process.
I don't want to get a new rabbit and then the bond not work out. I've considered giving him to a shelter to bond with one of theirs and then we take both home, but to be truthfully honest, our hutches have fallen into such disrepair in the past few years (while still being functional and spacious) that I don't know if they'd pass a home visit. They look old and battered but they still work as hutches.
We have another bunny in the hutch next door to this one, who's 9 and who we found impossible to bond after he was bereaved 3 years ago, and I don't know if having the two side by side will be enough company for each.

N.B. My mum and brother look after the rabbits while I'm at university, so while they have good care being fed, exercised and whatnot, my mother hasn't bonded rabbits before so doesn't really know how.

I'm sorry you've just lost one of your rabbits :(

From what you've said, it doesn't sound like another rabbit is a good idea for you at this time? It may be a lovely idea for the bereaved rabbit, but you will need time, love and dedication and I don't know whether your Mum and brother would do all that on your behalf when you're not there?

You could consider perhaps approaching a rescue with a view to him being bonded with another rabbit but the rescue keeping both rabbits?

I don't think having two unbonded bunnies side by side will be company much at all for either of them, sadly.

Apologies if you really want two more rabbits in addition to your single one. It came across to me that it's a difficult time to be adding and bonding rabbits in.

Back