• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping a bun that can't move happy

Graciee

Staff member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but was hoping for some advice/suggestions.

I have two rex bunnies that're now like 19 weeks old I think? losing track haha.

The boy is fine just waiting to get him fixed but he's lovely although he has started nipping a little :)

The girl however lost the use of her back legs, bit of a saga vets thought EC then I saw someone else that thought it was EC but then after having a real look at her found that her knee caps had come out of place - Apparently its rare, only 1 reported case in bunnies but quite common in Westie dogs and cats. So vet said he would operate but to keep her confined til then because he said that the way shes moving now is by compensating but that will obviously hurt her in other ways eventually (she's really arching her spine :(). So anyway she's in a small cage where she can stretch out, eat and drink. She's been like this for maybe 2 weeks now? but the operation is scheduled for the 26th of this month.

ANYWAY.. She seems okay, like not as happy as she was before but that's because she was springing all over the place and super happy to see me. She's indifferent now to me - still loves her food, hay and veggies - and obviously she just sits there because that's all she cant do - she also still flops down really hard to sleep. I give her tubes to destroy and wood stuffed with things, but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to help her keep happy until she can be running around like she used to be able to? It just breaks my heart to see her so sad and maybe bored? Just can't wait for the operation although equally I know I'll be a wreck that day haha.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but was hoping for some advice/suggestions.

I have two rex bunnies that're now like 19 weeks old I think? losing track haha.

The boy is fine just waiting to get him fixed but he's lovely although he has started nipping a little :)

The girl however lost the use of her back legs, bit of a saga vets thought EC then I saw someone else that thought it was EC but then after having a real look at her found that her knee caps had come out of place - Apparently its rare, only 1 reported case in bunnies but quite common in Westie dogs and cats. So vet said he would operate but to keep her confined til then because he said that the way shes moving now is by compensating but that will obviously hurt her in other ways eventually (she's really arching her spine :(). So anyway she's in a small cage where she can stretch out, eat and drink. She's been like this for maybe 2 weeks now? but the operation is scheduled for the 26th of this month.

ANYWAY.. She seems okay, like not as happy as she was before but that's because she was springing all over the place and super happy to see me. She's indifferent now to me - still loves her food, hay and veggies - and obviously she just sits there because that's all she cant do - she also still flops down really hard to sleep. I give her tubes to destroy and wood stuffed with things, but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to help her keep happy until she can be running around like she used to be able to? It just breaks my heart to see her so sad and maybe bored? Just can't wait for the operation although equally I know I'll be a wreck that day haha.

I am sorry to hear about your Doe's problems. I hope that her surgery proves to be successful.

I dont know if any of these links will be of any use

https://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/grassy-toys/

https://fetch.co.uk/happy-pet-nature-first-willow-value-pack-4-per-pack-251661011

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/chill-n-snooze-mat.html

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/grassy-sticks.html

Read the first post on the following link then go to page 31

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Apple-Sticks-For-Sale-in-Aid-of-Honeybunnies

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions I've already got a few of similar toys she just doesn't seem too interested :( Whereas before she used to love toys and chewing stuff and just being a right madam haha - I'll give the apple a pear sticks a go I'm sure they'll both like them :)

This must be so difficult for you both. If you don't already maybe you could forage for them, I always think that must make mealtimes more interesting. As when she was able to run about she'd seek your company I'd spend as much time as possible sitting close to her, lots of nose rubs. Many vibes for your brave little bun, I hope the op goes well

Yea I forage for them anyway so still been doing that :) Just feel helpless and also I feel like she kinda is just tolerating me now? I know her behaviour has changed just because she cant move but she seems less jazzed to see me now :( Don't wanna bother her too much if she doesn't want me there. Maybe I'll try sitting there and stroking her. I've kind of stopped petting her in fear that she doesn't want me there. Thanks for the vibes :)

I wonder if you could do some sling therapy with her? Has the vet doing her surgery told you about any physical therapy you may need to do after recovery period? If so, there may be some you can do now and would have benefit of getting her accustomed to it.
I don't know her posture, or even if this suitable for her - but this is the sort of thing Im talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z07C7u7oL0&NR=1
It would give her an opportunity to get out and about and use the muscles she can.

No actually the more she uses muscles now the more likely she is to hurt herself - the vet likened it to if someone has like carpal tunnel in their hand, they start to use their arm to compensate but in a way it was never meant to then they get pain in their arm. Which again makes them use that differently and basically before you know it you've got back pain and everything else D: if I put her on the floor she tries to move but by really arching her back and using her legs in a way that isn't good. Because she isn't limp at all in her back legs she'd move out of the sling and then go back to hurting herself :( she really does need to be kept still unfortunately. Also he said because it's just literally a mechanical problem recovery shouldn't be too difficult or need anything she just needs to move when she's ready and use the muscle which is currently unable to be used as it's not in the correct placement. Really appreciate the suggestion a lot though x

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Yea I wish I could do more haha and he was really great spent a really long time with me explaining everything and checking with the orthopaedic surgeon that he was happy to do it for a rabbit etc so glad people on this forum recommended him :D x

No pain relief vet said it's not painful - I found that hard to believe but he assured me. Also said the metacam I'd been giving her was nowhere near a high enough dose for a rabbit. So what the other vets prescribed was pointless.

Back