• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover has cut paw? Take to vet?

spinecho

Warren Scout
Clover has cut her paw...looks like she's pulled her nail/claw and she's got blood on paw. My daughter noticed it!

Doesn't seem to be distressing her.
Seems to have just done it.

Think I should phone vet or leave it to heal naturally?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Clover has cut her paw...looks like she's pulled her nail/claw and she's got blood on paw. My daughter noticed it!

Doesn't seem to be distressing her.
Seems to have just done it.

Think I should phone vet or leave it to heal naturally?

Do I look distressed??? Give me sympathy Hoomin!
e9ee0452c27cfe7b6f55888702b559d0.jpg

Have you seen the actual injury ? If it is 'just' a torn nail and the toe is not at a 'strange' angle then it should heal OK. You'll need to keep a close eye on it for any signs of infection. Torn nails can occur if the nails are a bit long, so a pedicure may be a good idea if this were to be the case :)

Have you seen the actual injury ? If it is 'just' a torn nail and the toe is not at a 'strange' angle then it should heal OK. You'll need to keep a close eye on it for any signs of infection. Torn nails can occur if the nails are a bit long, so a pedicure may be a good idea if this were to be the case :)
Thanks.
It's a torn nail, daft bunny jumped off her shelf too quickly at feeding time!
Clean cut. She's been cleaning it herself.
Ironically I'm taking her to vet tomorrow for vaccinations and health check.

Keeping an eye on her!
f08a8b949d434bd6d36eebbccfcb2e7a.jpg

Enjoying some apple!

Last edited:
Thanks.

Keeping an eye on her!

Enjoying some apple!

Well she certainly does not look to be at all bothered by the mishap .It's amazing how much a torn toe nail can bleed !!

Well she certainly does not look to be at all bothered by the mishap .It's amazing how much a torn toe nail can bleed !!
You're right, looked like a massacre to begin with!! Wondered where all blood was from.

Have I got something on my face?!? [emoji12]
Typical... Clover's had a wash and got blood over her face... Cuddles is keeping away from her in case she gets a taste for bunny blood!!!![emoji23]
523f27132babcf81a57868c0cdf86bf8.jpg

Thanks.

Keeping an eye on her!

Enjoying some apple!

Poor girl!

A torn nail is one of the most dramatic looking of rabbit 'injuries' :)

I hope it's looking OK now - so long as there's no infection (there isn't usually) then there's nothing a vet can do x

Thanks.
She's fine...as you say looks worse than is! Clean wound.

I laughed at this so much! Aboleth had her nail cut too short by one of our vets: she never ended up looking like this though! [emoji38] Hope it's OK :thumb:
It's fine thanks... stopped bleeding quickly and she's hopping around.
I'm sure she limps when she spots me watching her[emoji23]

Aww bless her. Maybe worth mentioning it to the vet tomorrow though just to make sure it's all come away okay and that it's nice and clean. What a pretty bunny!

Boil some water, mix it with sea salt and let it cool. Use that on a bit of cotton wool to disinfect the nail. That's a good home-made disinfectant for her.

Boil some water, mix it with sea salt and let it cool. Use that on a bit of cotton wool to disinfect the nail. That's a good home-made disinfectant for her.
Thanks.. I'll give it a go

I always take my babies to the vet. You dont know how clean the wound is. I never risk it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I always take my babies to the vet. You dont know how clean the wound is. I never risk it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Took Clover to vet this morning as she had a health check and vaccination.
Vet said Clover is in good health and although Clover jumped a bit when she looked at her paw (little bit painful), the vet said wound was all ok.[emoji5]

Clover is eating, drinking and pooing as usual (read a lot!!![emoji12] ).

Many thanks for everyone's help and kind words... it's amazing how worring it can be with a small pet!! If one of my children hurts themselves my wife and I just send them on their way!!![emoji23]

Took Clover to vet this morning as she had a health check and vaccination.
Vet said Clover is in good health and although Clover jumped a bit when she looked at her paw (little bit painful), the vet said wound was all ok.[emoji5]

Clover is eating, drinking and pooing as usual (read a lot!!![emoji12] ).

Many thanks for everyone's help and kind words... it's amazing how worring it can be with a small pet!! If one of my children hurts themselves my wife and I just send them on their way!!![emoji23]

Yes, fragile little creatures rabbits are, aren't they? :lol:

Back