• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thumping house buns! Cuteness warning

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Evening everyone. So the other night Archie was thumping away at night, we think he got scared and then got a gassy tum the next day. We sorted that but never worked out what had scared him in the first place. They rarely thump in the night, so something must have spooked the sweetie poppet.

This morning after I left for work he started thumping again and my OH couldn't get him to stop. He had big wide eyes so we think he must of been scared rather than a bit grumpy.

I've just got home and apparently everytime my oh walked in the room he starts thumping again. (Although the initial thumping started when they were alone) He seems fine now and is currently sprinting around the lounge like normal.

Any ideas what might spook a house bun. They live in our lounge, there is an open window, but its only ajar so nothing can get in.

And a related question they are Netherland dwarves so are skittish most of the time! Teehee. Does anyone else have a pair of dwarves and find they are very good a freaking each other out! It's like they forget there's another bunny in the room!!!! I call them silly sausages when they bolt across the room because the other one hopped across the room.

Here's a picture of Archie Boo the scared little sausage
eb24064f9ad68f12d9c8ea6787666433.jpg

My rabbits (and gerbils) thump ocasionally, most of the time I have absolutely no idea why. Even if there's nothing in the room and they can't see outside they'll still do it, but their vision is very different to ours. Other times it can be something really small like a box being in the room or wearing certain clothes. One of my old rabbits used to absolutely hate it when I wore my pink dressing gown :lol: Next time he starts just have a think, have you moved anything, have you put a can of drink near them? If he has a cage as a base or to sleep in, make sure the top is covered, the back too if it's against a window. Other than that I've found that carrying on my business or giving them food distracts them. They seem to thump for longer if I sit still, as if to say 'Why are you sitting there woman, there's danger behind you!

My rabbits (and gerbils) thump ocasionally, most of the time I have absolutely no idea why. Even if there's nothing in the room and they can't see outside they'll still do it, but their vision is very different to ours. Other times it can be something really small like a box being in the room or wearing certain clothes. One of my old rabbits used to absolutely hate it when I wore my pink dressing gown [emoji38] Next time he starts just have a think, have you moved anything, have you put a can of drink near them? If he has a cage as a base or to sleep in, make sure the top is covered, the back too if it's against a window. Other than that I've found that carrying on my business or giving them food distracts them. They seem to thump for longer if I sit still, as if to say 'Why are you sitting there woman, there's danger behind you!
Hah. Yes I have noticed they don't like certain clothes and we always shower if we've been near dogs or other pets.

My oh did ask Archie where the danger was and "investigated" behind cushions and under the furniture looking for the danger. Aparentely he was better after that.

Wish I'd been there to see that.

Well a shall never know what it was....... I hope he doesn't get as spooked again. I like to think he just missed his mum. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Back