• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-bonding fighting rabbits

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
Sadly our bonded pair had a fight two nights ago!

I wrote a post last week to explain the situation we are in - can be read here if anyone is interested:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...e.org.uk/showthread.php?t=465693&share_type=t

So everything was looking settled until suddenly a fight broke out Thursday night. It happened so so quick but I was in the room at the time so managed to separate them. Because this had happened before I put them in the bath while I set up a neutral pen in the bathroom which is where they've been ever since.

All Thursday night there was no fighting which we were happy about, just ignoring each other, yesterday afternoon they slept next to each other and there was a bit of grooming but today they are back to ignoring each other and sleeping as far away from each other as they can. They seem to be being very stubborn with each other!

Yesterday I spent 6 hours tidying and neutralising the room they'd been living in as having them in the bathroom isn't the most convenient thing, I popped them back in in a small pen but that instantly caused problems so that was a mistake and they are back in the bathroom.

The female rabbit Molly seems quite out of sorts with everything and she's weeing everywhere. I think she's also been over grooming. However they are both eating and drinking fine.

So the plan is to keep them in the bathroom until we think they're bonded again. But I feel so guilty and sad about what's happened. I go in one room and find Poppy having the time of her life and then go in another room and Larry and Molly are no longer having the time of their lives. They don't have any hidey houses or toys at the moment and are just in a 5x2 pen. I did put a neutral hidey house in but Molly started being territorial over it so I took it out.

Will they actually be ok in that size pen until they're bonded again without any exercise? I guess that's normal and once things are looking better I can increase the amount of space they have in the bathroom but don't think I'll be doing that for a few days at least.

The other thing is is we're moving house in a couple of months so I'm now thinking about keeping them in the bathroom once they are fully bonded so as to not unsettle them again. They can then have run around time in the hallway if Molly becomes litter trained again.

It's all been a bit trial and error so far and I'm really just posting here to see if there is any advice or tips from anyone on rebonding as my partner and I are feeling a bit disheartened with it and hoping we don't end up with three single buns!

Cheers guys x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly our bonded pair had a fight two nights ago!

I wrote a post last week to explain the situation we are in - can be read here if anyone is interested:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...e.org.uk/showthread.php?t=465693&share_type=t

So everything was looking settled until suddenly a fight broke out Thursday night. It happened so so quick but I was in the room at the time so managed to separate them. Because this had happened before I put them in the bath while I set up a neutral pen in the bathroom which is where they've been ever since.

All Thursday night there was no fighting which we were happy about, just ignoring each other, yesterday afternoon they slept next to each other and there was a bit of grooming but today they are back to ignoring each other and sleeping as far away from each other as they can. They seem to be being very stubborn with each other!

Yesterday I spent 6 hours tidying and neutralising the room they'd been living in as having them in the bathroom isn't the most convenient thing, I popped them back in in a small pen but that instantly caused problems so that was a mistake and they are back in the bathroom.

The female rabbit Molly seems quite out of sorts with everything and she's weeing everywhere. I think she's also been over grooming. However they are both eating and drinking fine.

So the plan is to keep them in the bathroom until we think they're bonded again. But I feel so guilty and sad about what's happened. I go in one room and find Poppy having the time of her life and then go in another room and Larry and Molly are no longer having the time of their lives. They don't have any hidey houses or toys at the moment and are just in a 5x2 pen. I did put a neutral hidey house in but Molly started being territorial over it so I took it out.

Will they actually be ok in that size pen until they're bonded again without any exercise? I guess that's normal and once things are looking better I can increase the amount of space they have in the bathroom but don't think I'll be doing that for a few days at least.

The other thing is is we're moving house in a couple of months so I'm now thinking about keeping them in the bathroom once they are fully bonded so as to not unsettle them again. They can then have run around time in the hallway if Molly becomes litter trained again.

It's all been a bit trial and error so far and I'm really just posting here to see if there is any advice or tips from anyone on rebonding as my partner and I are feeling a bit disheartened with it and hoping we don't end up with three single buns!

Cheers guys x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I would want to make sure that Molly hasn't got a urinary problem and so I would take her for an examination at the vets. I know that the falling out seemed to occur after the new rabbit arrived, but it could be that if Molly has a health problem, this is the actual cause.

If they fight again, you might want to consider separating them, just until things calm. Ruling out health problems, like Omi suggests, is probably the best first step.

Back