Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Treats

  1. #1

    Default Treats

    Hey,

    So my mom is over excited about our rabbits and has bought a few treats... I've got the gist that they are frowned upon so figured id post them here for your thoughts:

    Something to help their teething...
    https://www.viovet.co.uk/Small_N_Fur...nimals/c21953/

    Food, ingredients look OK, wheat barley etc no added sugar or anything:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Critters-Ch.../dp/B00383UGZK


    And some Lolo pets basic things. Ingredients also look OK in these:
    http://en.tiendanimal.es/lolo-pets-b...ea-p-8264.html

    Look OK?

  2. #2
    Mama Doe Alicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,976

    Default

    They're not great but if they're not given too many every day they should be fine I tend to give dandelions, or pellets individually as a treat


    Archie - born October 2010
    Izzy - born July 2009

  3. #3

    Default

    Yeah they won't have many. It'll be maybe one of those a week or so...!

    The rest is hay hay hay and veg

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    21,023

    Default

    Afraid those aren't really suitable. Shops are in it to make money so come up with all these weird and wonderful things. The best treats are packs of dried forage - such as plantain. I can understand your mum wanting to give them treats, but those do more harm than good. Sorry - yes I frown on them.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    Afraid those aren't really suitable. Shops are in it to make money so come up with all these weird and wonderful things. The best treats are packs of dried forage - such as plantain. I can understand your mum wanting to give them treats, but those do more harm than good. Sorry - yes I frown on them.
    Yeah - I sort of agree - but looking at the ingredients of all of them they are all au naturale and there's nothing bad in them. I'll just drip feed them over a loooong time so little shouldn't cause any issues!

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    21,023

    Default

    The last link took me to g/pig food. Perhaps I pressed the wrong button.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    The last link took me to g/pig food. Perhaps I pressed the wrong button.
    Ah woops! My bad... It looks the same but it's got a rabbit on the front lol

  8. #8
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I'm not sure about mineral stone, but other two don't look very good. Those colourful loops contain colorants and the other one seems to be 'junk' food for rabbits. I would not be giving these to a rabbit, their GI tracts are really sensitive and you could end up with a sick rabbit. Better give them something more natural, like a little piece of carrot, apple or banana, some dandelion, clover or plantain leaves, raspberry and blackcurrant leaves are also good treats. My rabbit likes dill, dried apples and clover leaves. Just try some different ones and you'll see what they like better.

    Isiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxete View Post
    I'm not sure about mineral stone, but other two don't look very good. Those colourful loops contain colorants and the other one seems to be 'junk' food for rabbits. I would not be giving these to a rabbit, their GI tracts are really sensitive and you could end up with a sick rabbit. Better give them something more natural, like a little piece of carrot, apple or banana, some dandelion, clover or plantain leaves, raspberry and blackcurrant leaves are also good treats. My rabbit likes dill, dried apples and clover leaves. Just try some different ones and you'll see what they like better.

    Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt
    Completely agree with you and understand that all of the above are better...! I will say in an argument 'for' (or not against them) - we used to give a stick to my old rabbit once every couple of days and he only had to go to the vets twice in his life (the second time to be put down at the age of 11/12ish)!

    I will wait and see - they will probably be too busy chomping through the Timothy Hay anyway!

  10. #10
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    85

    Default

    He was probably a very healthy rabbit indeed But it's not like they need treats anyway, they can eat their regular food and be totally happy about it. But in my opinion, why to give something that could make them sick? Better safe than sorry I guess.

    Isiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •