• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bottle frustration

naohren

Young Bun
Hi all!

I've noticed Humphrey has a habit of tugging at the water bottle spout occasionally when he's drinking from it. He doesn't have any difficulty getting water from it, but perhaps he dislikes how long it takes to get the right amount? It's a funny little habit, really, and it's not causing any harm besides some very mild scratches to the metal spout. Perhaps he would enjoy a water bowl more? Do any of yours do this?

Hi, I've not used bottles for some time now, they can't seem to get a good flow and there is always the risk of them being blocked. My bunnies have much preferred bowls and drink a lot more from them

Hi, mine had this exact same issue and I ended up buying a 'sippy' water bottle where all they have to do is touch the nozzle and the water easily comes out, my bunny finds it so much easier now and doesn't get frustrated anymore. You can purchase them in most pet shops/pets at home. Hope this helps:wave:

I find rabbits prefer bowls as it takes a while for them to quench their thirst from bottles, like you mentioned. I find using both a (ceramic) bowl and bottle a good option as if one gets spilt/blocked there's a backup. :)

Oh, I'll look into the sippy bottle! My only concern with bowls is that they may tip or get messy, but I'm going to try them anyway. There are some non-tip bowls in Pets at Home that I'll get, and also that bottle... Thanks, everyone!

I use a largish ceramic dog bowl, it can't get tipped and I don't have any issues with stuff getting in it, it just needs changing 1-2 times a day :)

I also use heavy ceramic dog / cat bowls because bottles can be unreliable. You can always put them in a large plastic plant pot saucer if you are still worried about them being tipped up - although I've not had issues if the bowl is heavy enough. A coop cup is another option - it's a stainless steel bowl that fits into a ring, which clips on to the mesh via either hooks or a screw on clamp. They come in various sizes.

Oh, I'll look into the sippy bottle! My only concern with bowls is that they may tip or get messy, but I'm going to try them anyway. There are some non-tip bowls in Pets at Home that I'll get, and also that bottle... Thanks, everyone!

You can get bowls that hook on to mesh/bars so they wouldn't need to be on the floor. They're usually stainless steel.

I use an old large pyrex souffle dish. It has never tipped up with three rabbits using it.

My hamsters over the years get a bit frustrated with their water bottles too,I always squeeze the bottle a few times a day to make sure it's flowing properly.When the hamsters drinking and I'm there I squeeze the bottle a bit and they lick the water up.Never squeeze if the nozzle is in their mouth.

Hi all!

I've noticed Humphrey has a habit of tugging at the water bottle spout occasionally when he's drinking from it. He doesn't have any difficulty getting water from it, but perhaps he dislikes how long it takes to get the right amount? It's a funny little habit, really, and it's not causing any harm besides some very mild scratches to the metal spout. Perhaps he would enjoy a water bowl more? Do any of yours do this?

Yes I've seen many rabbits and guinea pigs do this. I always give a bowl of water in a big ceramic dogs bowl, in addition to any water bottle.

Back