Thread: RHD2 in rabbit food, is it possible?

Young Bun

Default RHD2 in rabbit food, is it possible?

Hello. I was planning to buy some high quality rabbit pellets from Amazon, but I'm worried my bunny will get RHD1 or 2, since we don't have a possible vaccine for the 2nd strain in our country. I was just wondering if you could get it from rabbit pellets? I'm quite scared about this thought, but I couldn't find any info, only that you could get it from food that was contaminated by a sick rabbit, nothing about it being in a new pack of food. I hope someone could give me an advice. Thanks in advance.

Isiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Alpha Buck

Just my personal opinion as not an expert, but think it highly unlikely it could be in good quality pet food

I suppose in theory you could get it from anything imported from a country where RHD is present, but the risk of it being on the bunny food is no higher than on any other item. I'd say the packaging is more likely to come into contact with it than the food itself , the risk would be extremely minimal.

My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Quote Originally Posted by cara View Post
    Just my personal opinion as not an expert, but think it highly unlikely it could be in good quality pet food

I agree with cara. I wouldn't worry at all about the risk of RHD1 or 2. You have to buy food from somewhere, and if you've no vaccine, you can only do your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    I suppose in theory you could get it from anything imported from a country where RHD is present, but the risk of it being on the bunny food is no higher than on any other item. I'd say the packaging is more likely to come into contact with it than the food itself , the risk would be extremely minimal.
    I agree BB. In theory anyone could bring it into their home after a walk in the park. Of course it must be especially worrying if there are no vaccines available in your country Linuxete. But as BB has said, the risk of Rabbit food being contaminated with RHD is probably minimal.

Not sure if trying to make contact with a Veterinarian via the LSAVA might be an option, to enquire about the likelihood of Vaccines for Pet Rabbits being made available eventually

http://www.lsgvga.lt/