• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veggies :D

Graciee

Staff member
Hi just a quick question about veggies.

What veggies do you feed everyday? and how much of each roughly? Are they organic?

I've only fed organic up til now because I wasn't sure if it was okay to feed normal veggies. My two love spinach and curly kale, but I've read these shouldn't be fed lots as they can basically poison them. They've also had broccoli, watercress, peppers (red,yellow,green), cabbage, dill and romaine lettuce.

Any suggestions? Or diet plans for veggies and quantities?

Advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Grace :)

My favourite guide is the RWAF one: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/greens-veg-herbs/

Monty tends to get whatever I'm cooking with that he enjoys and is safe for him - so the odd carrot top/peel, peppers a lot, perhaps some broccoli, herbs etc. A lot depends on the season. We also keep in kale, lettuce or green beans and give them when we aren't cooking something (I wish we could give him greater variety, but our local supermarket is dreadful). Some things are organic, others we can't get as organic - I prefer organic, but for Monty at least, non-organic doesn't seem to do him any harm in the quantities he gets it in. He also gets a little bit of fruit sometimes, because I eat fruit a lot - I have just given in against my better judgment to his big pleading eyes (he woke up and came out specially to plead with me!) and my partner's urgings and given him a blueberry. I try to err on the side of smaller portions, but it depends - often he gets things which have gone over slightly, so I might give a bit more to get rid of it. tbh, he sort of just gets "scraps" by and large - but he finds them tasty and I like having an empty fridge! :D

I've found this page really helpful https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/safe-foods-for-rabbits

I always have a variety in for them and give different each day. Not organic. Apart from those you have mentioned, ours also like Spring Greens, Rocket and Cauliflower leaves and herbs like Basil, Coriander and Parsley (in moderation). As well as the occasional Strawberry, Apple, piece of Banana.

Portion wise I usually use small sandwich bags and give a good handful or so, or couple of big spring green leaves, for example x

That's all super helpful thanks :) so maybe I should chill about the organic label? I don't even eat organic haha everything organic in the fridge is for them [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Generally, I would say to give your rabbit a little more than the amount of pellets you give them (if you give pellets) and a little less than the amount of hay they eat. If you've ever seen the rabbit food pyramid it goes something like that.

rabbit-food-pyramid.jpg

You can experiment with different amounts of greens depending on your rabbit's tastes. Mine eat about the same amount of greens as pellets but I'm slowly increasing their portion - I had kept it lower when they were young as I didn't know what greens they could tolerate. Mine absolutely adore apple leaves and cavolo nero kale - the darker the leaf, the better! They also enjoy the kale my grandad brings in from the allotment, in huge bushels.

I don't feed organic veggies because it's harder to get hold of a good variety of organic greens at a decent price. Just make sure you rinse any greens you feed to clean them up a bit. Rinsing them also gives your rabbits more water intake - good for hot weather!

Everyone else has given good articles for different kinds of greens, but the general rule is the leafier and darker it is, the more of a hit it's likely to be! Just look up whatever you want to try and make sure it's not poisonous and that you know if it's supposed to be fed in moderation.

Oh yes Naohren, ours just recently had Cavolo Nero for the first time, they loved it! I'm interested as to why Spinach is on the 'no' list, I do feed it, in moderation like everything else though x

Yes mine love spinach too, I thought you could feed it just not in copious amounts? Also I thought that could have dock leaves?

Oh yes Naohren, ours just recently had Cavolo Nero for the first time, they loved it! I'm interested as to why Spinach is on the 'no' list, I do feed it, in moderation like everything else though x

Spinach is relatively high in oxalic acid, like parsley and mustard. OP says kale is also supposed to be fed less, and I assume that's to do with the misconception that kale is also high in oxalic acid. It's actually low in oxalic acid and fine to feed multiple times a week!

Yes mine love spinach too, I thought you could feed it just not in copious amounts? Also I thought that could have dock leaves?

Avoid dock leaves unless you are sure they are not in flower or in seed. The seeds are extremely poisonous. Dock leaves are fine at other times - I'd avoid feeding them too regularly since the calcium oxalate crystals in them can be harmful to a human's insides if they're ingested in large amounts and I'm unsure if this affects rabbits also.

Last edited:
Bit of an odd question, but where websites say '1 cup per 2 lbs body weight/ 4 lbs body weight' do you go by 2 lbs or 4 lbs? Also, what's 1 cup in grams? I've googled it and 1 site says 340g and another says 140g?

Sorry I know this is a bit pedantic :oops: but I feed my 2 faaaar to much and am trying to get their diet under control.

I wish I could help with that one but I'm pretty sure I get pellets all wrong hahaha I've found the pellet advice a bit difficult too, only thing I can really say is on the back of my food it tells me how much for certain weight. I should really weigh the amount I give once so I know for future...

Also if you wanna use 'cups' check amazon just get a cheap cup set and use that maybe? :)

Ahh that's a good idea, I'll do that. Thanks :). I get the pellets and veg completely wrong for the rabbits and the guinea pigs lol it wasn't until I realised I was spending about £25 a week on their veggies that I thought I was doing something wrong!!

Back