Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible case of flystrike, please help!

Default possible case of flystrike, please help!

about two hours ago I found about 10 brown maggot-ish creatures crawling around the bum/right hind leg of 'Annifrid' my almost 10 year old Netherland dwarf female. They can't have been there for very long as Annifrid is suffering from a prolonged bout of 'Intermittent Soft Cecotropes' which means I check (and wash if necessary) her rear end every morning; and this morning there was no sign of any maggots.

I removed the intruders and bathed Annifrid's back end in warm water with a little disinfectant dried her off with a hair dryer. I then proceeded to blitz her hutch with the hosepipe and a ton of disinfectant. on inspecting the corner where she goes to the bathroom I found a large number of these creatures wriggling around below the top layer of poop.

to my untrained eye they don't appear to be the traditional green bottle type maggots being a different shape and a darker brown color.

I'm not sure what to do next, not so long ago I would have been off to the emergency vet in a hart beat. However, Annifrid is of a very old age and suffering from advanced arthritis and what I believe may be a chest infection; making strange noses when she breaths. I have stopped taking her to the vet for minor complaints as I strongly believe if the vet sees her on a bad day they will advocate putting her to sleep and I feel; judging from past experience with other bunnies, that we haven't reached that point just yet.

I had kind of conceded that I would continue to look after her the best I could and that our next trip to the vets would most likely be the last, but the whole idea of her being attacked by these nasty little creatures just seems too horrible for words.

any advice would be really appreciated.
    thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnypig View Post
    about two hours ago I found about 10 brown maggot-ish creatures crawling around the bum/right hind leg of 'Annifrid' my almost 10 year old Netherland dwarf female. They can't have been there for very long as Annifrid is suffering from a prolonged bout of 'Intermittent Soft Cecotropes' which means I check (and wash if necessary) her rear end every morning; and this morning there was no sign of any maggots.

I removed the intruders and bathed Annifrid's back end in warm water with a little disinfectant dried her off with a hair dryer. I then proceeded to blitz her hutch with the hosepipe and a ton of disinfectant. on inspecting the corner where she goes to the bathroom I found a large number of these creatures wriggling around below the top layer of poop.

to my untrained eye they don't appear to be the traditional green bottle type maggots being a different shape and a darker brown color.

I'm not sure what to do next, not so long ago I would have been off to the emergency vet in a hart beat. However, Annifrid is of a very old age and suffering from advanced arthritis and what I believe may be a chest infection; making strange noses when she breaths. I have stopped taking her to the vet for minor complaints as I strongly believe if the vet sees her on a bad day they will advocate putting her to sleep and I feel; judging from past experience with other bunnies, that we haven't reached that point just yet.

I had kind of conceded that I would continue to look after her the best I could and that our next trip to the vets would most likely be the last, but the whole idea of her being attacked by these nasty little creatures just seems too horrible for words.

thanks in advance
    I am sorry that you have not received a response to your post dated 13th July. As that is 3 days ago I sincerely hope that your Rabbit has received Veterinary treatment as this is always 100% essential in cases of Flystrike

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2006/...ly-Strike.html

Without wishing to sound blunt and to the point, sometimes the most humane thing a Vet can do for a Rabbit with several heath problems, is elderly and is suffering Flystrike is to suggest PTS.

Warren Veteran

I, too am extremely sorry that no-one responded to your post dated 13 July I really cannot imagine how this has happened, particularly as it was posted early evening when many people are often online on RU and it was asking for help in the title. I personally do not remember seeing it at all.

How is Annifrid?

Once again I'm truly sorry that you received no response.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnypig View Post

thanks in advance

Hi Skinnypig and welcome to the Forum

How is Annifrid how? I hope you managed to contain the injury to her and that it's settled down?

Flystrike is a horrid thing to happen to any rabbit, but does particularly strike at the elderly.

If it's not too late for you, there may be something helpful here:

https://www.medicanimal.com/The-symp...ts/a/ART111555

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I, too am extremely sorry that no-one responded to your post dated 13 July I really cannot imagine how this has happened, particularly as it was posted early evening when many people are often online on RU and it was asking for help in the title. I personally do not remember seeing it at all.

How is Annifrid?

Once again I'm truly sorry that you received no response.
    I didn't see this either and I always have a good look through!

How is she doing? x

Hopefully Skinnypig will be back on RU update. Im happy to tell you that they did get Annifrid seen by their vet and there was a postive outcome.

ETA: I hope it is not bad manners of me to have given that update. They had posted elsewhere and I recognised the case and screen name.
    Last edited by jerseygirl; 17-07-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    Hopefully Skinnypig will be back on RU update. Im happy to tell you that they did get Annifrid seen by their vet and there was a postive outcome.

ETA: I hope it is not bad manners of me to have given that update. They had posted elsewhere and I recognised the case and screen name.
    Thank goodness it's positive news x

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post

Thank you JG

We are a worried community if we don't know the outcome!

hi, thanks for all the replies
    As of Monday morning Annifrid seems to be doing ok, the flystrike looks like it was thankfully a false alarm. The maggots seem have crawled on to her rather then hatched on her (ground zero seemed to be in the corner of her hutch where she goes to the bathroom)

I called the vet on Friday morning to try and explain the situation and we had an appointment later that day. After an examination (both inside and out) no signs of flystrike were found.

She's been proscribed baytril for a pre-existing chest condition and some cream for a sour bum. I'm a little concerned about the baytril as I've had a very bad past experience with antibiotics, I've heard some gurgling from her tummy and her appetite seems to be a tiny bit down. I'm also monitoring her poop, hopefully I'm just being paranoid!

Anyway, it looks like we dodged a bullet! We have a followup appointment on Friday and I'll report back when I have some updates!

thanks again!

What's her diet like?

Glad that she's ok. What accomodation does she have and what substratr do you use?