• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have 4 rabbits bonded?

elaine84

Warren Scout
We have two bonded buns (a boy and a girl) but have fallen in love with another rescue pair (another boy and girl). I've never had more than 2 rabbits so feel a bit nervous about having trying to bond 4 together. Does anyone else have a quad and would you recommend it? Is it a lot more work and worry? It would total 2 boys and 2 girls.

We have two bonded buns (a boy and a girl) but have fallen in love with another rescue pair (another boy and girl). I've never had more than 2 rabbits so feel a bit nervous about having trying to bond 4 together. Does anyone else have a quad and would you recommend it? Is it a lot more work and worry? It would total 2 boys and 2 girls.

I had 4 rabbits living together, but they were already bonded and also were a family unit (Mum, Dad and 2 sons). They were already bonded when I rescued them. If the rabbits have a strong bond I would very much recommend having a quad. I am now down to 3, which is still very interesting and enjoyable to watch. It is really no more work and in my view 4 together would definitely be less work than 2 x 2. The worry I suppose would only be that there could be a falling-out, which could possibly leave a single rabbit, but then that worry exists also with a pair.

If I have more rabbits, I would always try to go for a trio or a quad.

I think if I were you my only concern would be the actual bonding, but there are others on the forum who have attempted this with a successful outcome.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I have had a quad in the past. This was made up of my original pair - 2 sisters, and a rescue pair, who were 2 brothers. I bonded them myself and that went well. They had very similar personalities and it worked well. They had a shed and attached aviary run.

I don't have a quad at the moment, I have a trio although expecting at some point to add a fourth. I added a third rabbit (f) to my existing male pair and it went surprisingly well but I was aware that it could go wrong and end up with my current pair falling out. I don't think it would be more work - obviously more litter tray content to clean out and harder to round up 4 for vet visits :lol: but as omi said a quad would be less work than 2 separate pairs.

I have a quad. I impulse bought two bucks from a local pet shop, had them neutered, they fell out big time. I separated them for ages. In the meantime I got two does from a rescue.

Decided to bond them all together. It went well. They have moved house (well, shed in their case) with me twice since then and are totally fine.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...now-a-quad-More-pics!&highlight=bonding+begun

I would always have a litter tray per rabbit and at least one other so that they can all have a territory. I would also keep the dirty litter trays when I put them into their home to be so that they dont have to reclaim them all over again.

I have three 32 litre under bed storage boxes for them which I change each week. They have free range time in the garden for about two hours a day. Having four has been no more worry than having two. The more set ups the more hassle. Its great having them all together in one shed/run.

Last edited:
I have a quad. I impulse bought two bucks from a local pet shop, had them neutered, they fell out big time. I separated them for ages. In the meantime I got two does from a rescue.

Decided to bond them all together. It went well. They have moved house (well, shed in their case) with me twice since then and are totally fine.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...now-a-quad-More-pics!&highlight=bonding+begun

I would always have a litter tray per rabbit and at least one other so that they can all have a territory. I would also keep the dirty litter trays when I put them into their home to be so that they dont have to reclaim them all over again.

I have three 32 litre under bed storage boxes for them which I change each week. They have free range time in the garden for about two hours a day. Having four has been no more worry than having two. The more set ups the more hassle. Its great having them all together in one shed/run.

This is good to hear Tulsi :)

You are testament to the fact that despite having a falling out, male rabbits *can* be rebonded and don't necessarily remember their antagonism forever - something I've also found to be the case :)

I have a quad three sisters and a buck, they were all young when bonded, have a litter tray each, and over 180square feet of space I think having enough space is really important when you have a group.

Thank you everyone for your replies, appreciate it. I would be getting the two new ones to have them all as a quad, I wouldn't really want to have two separate pairs. I guess my worries are:
- what if they don't bond as a quad (would have to cross that when I come to it!)
- is 4 too many to have inside the house? My two at the moment live free range indoors and share the lounge with us mainly. Most people seem to have quads outside but I'd want them all indoors.
- I know this is a silly point but I stress so much when a bunny is ill and the thought of 4 having problems compared to 2 - I don't know if I could cope with the worry!

Or am I overthinking it all and I should just go for it :-s

Are you getting them from a rescue? A lot of rescues will take the rabbits back if the bond doesn't work out so you don't end up with 2 pairs (and may also do the bonding process for you).

I have my 3 indoors and would still keep them indoors if / when I add a fourth. Re ill bunnies - I can see your point here! I've been very lucky and not had any ill bunnies so far (*touches wood* :lol:) but yes your risk of illness I suppose would double if you got 2 more so it's something to consider.

This is good to hear Tulsi :)

You are testament to the fact that despite having a falling out, male rabbits *can* be rebonded and don't necessarily remember their antagonism forever - something I've also found to be the case :)

Good point re; antagonism. I was advised to keep them totally separate for six weeks. No sight or smell of each other. Also I was advised to bond in the Autumn not the Spring as hormones would be less rife at that time of year.

I have a quad three sisters and a buck, they were all young when bonded, have a litter tray each, and over 180square feet of space I think having enough space is really important when you have a group.

Yes. Cottontails rescue said that space if very important with groups of rabbits.

Sounds like yours will be fine with your whole lounge to share! I do agree that there is more chance of illness the more pets you have but there really is something about a group.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Aw I bet it would be so lovely to see them all together. People always joke about 'do you have a house full of rabbits yet?' as they know I'm such a fan lol. I am very tempted to have a group after hearing your replies. My two are very loved up so I am a bit worried about ruining that.
Yes they'd be from a rescue, but it's a 2.5 hour drive away to collect them so not very easy to take them back or have them bonded there, also I'd get attached very quickly and don't think I'd be able to give them back! So it's a permanent decision I need to make x

Back