• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis?

pobble5

New Kit
Over the past few days I've noticed my 4month old rabbit looking a bit bloated. I've been monitoring her and she's still been eating/pooping fine up until this morning. When I went to give her her greens she didn't touch them, and although she seems to have done a lot of normal poops overnight, now i notice she keeps going to her litter box but not actually doing anything apart from one light brown bit of diarrhoea, so obviously there is some kind of GI issue:( I stupidly gave her one of those treat sticks yesterday, and now I'm wondering if that's what has made it get worse?

Strangely, apart from not eating, she's still acting normally and was even binkying around her cage:? I've had a rabbit with stasis in the past, but it's come on more suddenly than this and it was always very obvious there was some kind of problem - looking in pain, lying down a lot etc.

I'm going to go buy some simethicone now to see if that does anything, does anyone know what the dosage would be for a 4month mini rex? The stuff I'm going to get is infacol which is 40mg per 1ml. If she still hasn't eaten by later today I'll be taking her to the vet this evening, but I was wondering if anyone has any home remedies that I can try in the meantime. Thanks x

Over the past few days I've noticed my 4month old rabbit looking a bit bloated. I've been monitoring her and she's still been eating/pooping fine up until this morning. When I went to give her her greens she didn't touch them, and although she seems to have done a lot of normal poops overnight, now i notice she keeps going to her litter box but not actually doing anything apart from one light brown bit of diarrhoea, so obviously there is some kind of GI issue:( I stupidly gave her one of those treat sticks yesterday, and now I'm wondering if that's what has made it get worse?

Strangely, apart from not eating, she's still acting normally and was even binkying around her cage:? I've had a rabbit with stasis in the past, but it's come on more suddenly than this and it was always very obvious there was some kind of problem - looking in pain, lying down a lot etc.

I'm going to go buy some simethicone now to see if that does anything, does anyone know what the dosage would be for a 4month mini rex? The stuff I'm going to get is infacol which is 40mg per 1ml. If she still hasn't eaten by later today I'll be taking her to the vet this evening, but I was wondering if anyone has any home remedies that I can try in the meantime. Thanks x

Hi pobble and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about your young rabbit. What I would say is you need to see a rabbit savvy vet asap. You do know that rabbits can go downhill extremely fast if they have stasis/bloat?

A vet would take her temperature and measure her blood glucose to see what's going on. She could also have fluids which would hydrate the contents of the intestines. These are things a vet would do that we can't normally do ourselves.

Here's some reading on the subject:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Regarding Infacol, you can give 1 ml every hour for three doses, and then one ml three times daily. You can do this regardless of the diagnosis, and also continue it alongside meds given by the vet.

But your poor rabbit needs attention - I would get onto the vet asap and not wait until this evening. I am not an advocate of 'home remedies' in these situations.

Good luck xx

Hi pobble and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about your young rabbit. What I would say is you need to see a rabbit savvy vet asap. You do know that rabbits can go downhill extremely fast if they have stasis/bloat?

A vet would take her temperature and measure her blood glucose to see what's going on. She could also have fluids which would hydrate the contents of the intestines. These are things a vet would do that we can't normally do ourselves.

Here's some reading on the subject:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Regarding Infacol, you can give 1 ml every hour for three doses, and then one ml three times daily. You can do this regardless of the diagnosis, and also continue it alongside meds given by the vet.

But your poor rabbit needs attention - I would get onto the vet asap and not wait until this evening. I am not an advocate of 'home remedies' in these situations.

Good luck xx

Hi, thanks for the info. I will get her to the vet soon if she doesn't improve. The problem is they aren't rabbit savvy and there isn't any other rabbit savvy vets anywhere near me.. I also believe that they are responsible for the death of my previous rabbit due to their lack of knowledge, which is why I'm reluctant to take her. I understand that they can give her fluids and stuff to get her bowels moving though so like I said, I'll definitely take her if she doesn't improve soon.

Hi, thanks for the info. I will get her to the vet soon if she doesn't improve. The problem is they aren't rabbit savvy and there isn't any other rabbit savvy vets anywhere near me.. I also believe that they are responsible for the death of my previous rabbit due to their lack of knowledge, which is why I'm reluctant to take her. I understand that they can give her fluids and stuff to get her bowels moving though so like I said, I'll definitely take her if she doesn't improve soon.

You're welcome :)

It's so difficult when you don't have a vet you can trust.

Is there any way we can help you find one near to you that's good?

You can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

You're welcome :)

It's so difficult when you don't have a vet you can trust.

Is there any way we can help you find one near to you that's good?

You can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I've actually tried to search for a rabbit savvy vet a few times but couldn't find any, but I just had a look at those links and found one relatively near me that I had no idea even existed:D Thanks!

She seems to be improving a bit. She's eaten a fair amount of greens and pellets (only if i hand feed them though) and was just sitting munching her hay, and after not pooping at all, she suddenly did a whole bunch of them, and has done a few since. She's binkying and flopping too so I'm hopeful she's on the mend.. I've got an appointment already booked in a couple of hours at the non-rabbit savvy vet, but if she doesn't improve further I'll phone to see if the other vet can see her. Regardless, I'll definitely be using the other one from now on:)

Back