• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outside?

Glad to hear you caught the little whatsits.

Sorry the herding didn't go too well. It does work, if you do it calmly, but obviously the larger the area the harder it is, and when bolt holes are available the difficulty goes up again.

I do hope you won't give up on letting them out though. Freedom to run outside does a lot for their quality of life. They do learn, really. Mine don't even need to be herded anymore, they just jump in when I put the food in their bowls, unless they are having a stroppy day, when simply trailing a stick behind them does the trick. They may circle their run a few times but they don't like it and know it will stop as soon as they hop into the hutch. Calmness is the key, perhaps I didn't stress that enough in my first post.

Hopefully lots of noserubs and treats will make them less nervous of humans.

Louise,

I am not going to give up letting them out, they just need to a)not get at the parts of the garden they can dig in b) get a lot more used to us.

I know herding them around feeding time does work, our other bunnies used to come when they heard us tapping their bowl, and if they didn't a large stick usually worked, sometimes they gave the run around but not too badly. We just havent' had to train them before, and these rabbits are awfully shy. (though they weren't so shy of me, whichis what I don't really understand! I think they were quite used to be before i left. )

They do have names: Cody and Chester.
(though I think Houdni 1 and 2 might be a better idea, yes!!))

indigoroses said:
They do have names: Cody and Chester.
(though I think Houdni 1 and 2 might be a better idea, yes!!))

Lovely names, love the Houdini suggestion. Your dilema has been abit like the famous film the great escape - I think it starred Steve McQueen?

Changing the subject slightly, whats the story behind these two, were they unwanted pets or ill treated in someway? They obviously stole your heart to want to give them a loving home, what made you choose these two?

They've been in the animal sanctuary quite a while, almost the longest, and because they're shy and used to being in a big run and like being picked up but will tell you when they have enough and don't really come up to humans much they never get picked.
And the other cute and fluffy bunnies always go: because people can watch them grow and get them used to humans easily and kids love them because they can just scoop them up, cody and chester were getting overlooked.and they are cute, and used to a big space, and not hostile to humans -at least not half as hostile as our old rabbits i never managed to pick them up, though they followed us hoping for treats. These two just seemed to e more needy, and less likely to be adopted, and far more likely to be in need fo a large space to run around in.
And they were two rabbits who were already aquainted and used to eachother. and they just have a spark, each of them .

(although had i known it was a freedom-bid, lets make those humans run around spark, they might have stayed there!)
i don't really mean that, but i'm going to threaten them when i go back!
They were rescued by the home when they were young, and quite anti-human after. They seem to have been neglected, but not deliberately harmed, but never had much human contact until life in the sanctuary either.

Well done, now the fun starts! :) I am sure that if you take your time and persevere you will be well rewarded by the friendship of both buns!

Bob

Hi Indigoroses

Its a real shame when certain bunnies and other animals get overlooked for one reason or another, certainly pulls at the old heart strings.

Why certain humans have to put looks first I do not know, I opted for my other half based on his personality, but have to admit I propably would'nt have looked twice if I had based my decision on looks :lol: :lol: but fortunately for me he was my friend first before becoming the father of my children :lol: (still find animals alot easier though :lol: :lol: )

That's great news :) What a relief and just as the weather is supposed to turn really cold for a while!
Little terrors certainly gave you the runaround :lol:
As for people only wanting buns that look cute and are nice looking - forget that - you ought to see my lot :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mind you, I wouldn't have it any other way - I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to the ones always left behind - ask hubby :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back