• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Twinkle ✨ doesn't seem to be grieving?

ghibli

Warren Scout
Hi,

As some probably know Ghibli sadly passed away on Saturday morning after a sudden illness.

I'm still absolutely devastated, but Twinkle ✨ [who I thought would be heart broken] is fine.

If anything she's actually more positive and outgoing than she was she was with him.

To give a little background she's always been a solitary rabbit and had been shuttled from one home to another, and Ghibli was the first rabbit's she actually tolerated. Some time ago we [me and my wife] got to know the woman who bonded Ghibli and Twinkle ✨ and apparently Twinkle ✨ wasn't exactly the friendliest of rabbits when it came to other rabbits, and was usually let out her own rather than with the other bunnies. One thing that strikes me is that if she's spent a long time in rescue shelters then being the last rabbit our probably meant more affection. She's was, apparently, a very difficult rabbit to deal with.

While Ghibli was ill I was careful to make sure that she wasn't excluded, and was always aware of what was going on in case the worst happened. She was allowed to see him after he passed, so she's completely aware of what's happened.

Please don't get me wrong. If she's OK then I'm happy that she's not going to have to go through something dreadful. I was actually frightened as much about what might happen with her if he did die, as I was about him dying.

The thing is that she's actuallu binkying, dashing around, and has become much more outgoing and affectionate. I don't know if this is delayed shock, or what to think [which is why I'm asking the question].

Has anyone come across this before?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I've heard rabbits are much more at ease with death than we can be - they see it as a veil lifting, allowing the spirit to run free, where we just see loss. It does mean they process grief differently. They grieve worse when they haven't seen their buddy's body, so I think that will have helped.

Hi,

As some probably know Ghibli sadly passed away on Saturday morning after a sudden illness.

I'm still absolutely devastated, but Twinkle ✨ [who I thought would be heart broken] is fine.

If anything she's actually more positive and outgoing than she was she was with him.

To give a little background she's always been a solitary rabbit and had been shuttled from one home to another, and Ghibli was the first rabbit's she actually tolerated. Some time ago we [me and my wife] got to know the woman who bonded Ghibli and Twinkle ✨ and apparently Twinkle ✨ wasn't exactly the friendliest of rabbits when it came to other rabbits, and was usually let out her own rather than with the other bunnies. One thing that strikes me is that if she's spent a long time in rescue shelters then being the last rabbit our probably meant more affection. She's was, apparently, a very difficult rabbit to deal with.

While Ghibli was ill I was careful to make sure that she wasn't excluded, and was always aware of what was going on in case the worst happened. She was allowed to see him after he passed, so she's completely aware of what's happened.

Please don't get me wrong. If she's OK then I'm happy that she's not going to have to go through something dreadful. I was actually frightened as much about what might happen with her if he did die, as I was about him dying.

The thing is that she's actuallu binkying, dashing around, and has become much more outgoing and affectionate. I don't know if this is delayed shock, or what to think [which is why I'm asking the question].

Has anyone come across this before?

Yes, I have seen this in rabbits before. All rabbits react differently, but some (and I have to say it's often been the females in my experience) seem to get a new spurt of life after a very fast grieving process.

I had one little lady who certainly grieved her companion, but then was mightily relieved and seemed to really come into her own.

Some rabbits get depressed (I had that recently) when they lose a partner. They don't know how to handle it.

Twinkle sounds like a darling and I'm so glad she is so far coping well. There may be delayed shock, as you say, but it may also be that she is just getting on with life without him now.

Yes, I have seen this in rabbits before. All rabbits react differently, but some (and I have to say it's often been the females in my experience) seem to get a new spurt of life after a very fast grieving process.

I had one little lady who certainly grieved her companion, but then was mightily relieved and seemed to really come into her own.

Some rabbits get depressed (I had that recently) when they lose a partner. They don't know how to handle it.

Twinkle sounds like a darling and I'm so glad she is so far coping well. There may be delayed shock, as you say, but it may also be that she is just getting on with life without him now.
Thank you very much for the info. It's very gratifying to find out something positive could come from all this heart ache and loss.

You're welcome.

I hope you and your wife are OK
Still a bit devastated TBH! Took him to the crematorium today. Don't want any of it to affect Twinkle ✨though, given that she seems to be coping better than we are, which had come as somewhat of a shock! Thank you for the insight.

Back