• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded males fighting/being territorial

JNg

New Kit
I have 2 buns at 1.5 years old, Thor and Hercules. We got them together and they have lived together all their lives. They fought a little before getting neutered so we separated them and after they became best friends again.

Thor is still recovering from his first GI attack and only started showing promising signs of recovery yesterday afternoon, eating hay and pooping. He's been in and out of the vets all week, having stayed at the vets during the day on wed and Thurs. This was all without Hercules who stayed at home as he doesn't like car journeys.

When at home their set up is; 3rd double room which is their room, free range to the upstairs bathroom, hallway and our room and ensuite. The 2nd bedroom is off limits as I keep my uniforms and kit in there and somebun keeps chewing my combat boots. They can't go down stairs but sometimes we take them down as we have an openplan living room dining room and they love the space.

At about 0300 this morning they started fighting and pulling fur, quite a lot. Dont know who started it but it continued for about an hour, starting in their bedroom and ended up through the hall in our room. They onlt pulled fur the first time though, the rest was chasing. At about 0500 I shut their bedroom door with Thor in their room and Hercy in the hall with access to our room.

Fast forward to 0700 and I opened the door to give them breakfast, Hercy went in and Thor immediately chased him out again. I put Hercy in again and he went straight to the opposite corner from Thor and sat in the litter tray. They both just sat there grooming themselves until Hercy jumped out the litter tray and walked towards the food bowls, as soon as he did Thor shot over and went nose to nose, Hercy grunted, stomped and ran back to the litter tray.

At this point I have moved Hercy out of thr room with his food bowl, water bowl and litter tray and favourite tunnel.

They haven't injured each other but it's clear Thor is being territorial, and I don't know why.

What are my options here?

Rabbits sometimes start fighting when one of them is ill, it is common. I think the issue is probably down to Thor being away at the vets - he'll smell different, and Hercules will be acting territorial.

For the sake of their bond, it is best if you separate them now and keep them apart until Thor has completely recovered. Then you can reintroduce them again slowly, like you did post-neuter

Back