Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health of new rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Poppy is a lovely name

Bear in mind that vets can't always see the full extent of a rabbit's back teeth using just an otoscope - it's about 50%. She may need a sedation eventually if she continues not to eat hay. It will be interesting to see how she gets on with the fibafirst

Will she be bonded with your other rabbits and sharing the same litter tray? E.C. is passed via infected spores in the urine, so if they are sharing, all rabbits would be treated at the same time.

Here's bit more info:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf

http://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-area...ion/e-cuniculi
    Thanks for this, I'll have a read.

We're going to try and bond Poppy with Larry and Molly in future when she's completely ok. Ideally they would be bonded but if it's not possible then we'll find her a friend. So will definitely get the vet to treat her for EC just in case.

Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LarryMolly View Post
    Thanks for this, I'll have a read.

We're going to try and bond Poppy with Larry and Molly in future when she's completely ok. Ideally they would be bonded but if it's not possible then we'll find her a friend. So will definitely get the vet to treat her for EC just in case.

Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're very welcome

Good luck with it all x

Quote Originally Posted by LarryMolly View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! It's really helpful as we've not been in this situation before.

We're calling her Poppy! She's a mini lionhead lop and is a lovely little thing.

My partner is on his was to get some fibafirst and we'll get some readigrass online as well. I didn't think she wouldn't be eating hay because she actually can't. Will ask the vet to check her teeth when we go in for her vaccination on Friday. She is getting muesli but we're sort of giving it to her in intervals hoping she'll eat hay inbetween. Very interesting about the water intake as well, hopefully she's not been going hungry!! Will keep a close eye on this.

Will ask our vet about EC as well. Sounds very sensible to me so I'll push for this. Will her being in the house with our other rabbits put them at risk if she has EC?

The threeb's - that's lovely you helped Buffy! I hope she's doing well with you guys
    I will keep you all updated as things progress x
    Yes, thank you, she's doing great, such a lovely rabbit. She's loved up with her boy Theo now. They live in an 8ft x 6ft shed with a 16ft tunnel connecting to a run, so compared to the tiny hutch she could barely turn around in x
    Last edited by TheThreeB's; 11-07-2017 at 10:46 AM.