• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One of the rabbits that doesn't like playing with toys?

WolfLover456

Young Bun
I have trouble assuring myself whether or not I'm a good owner even though my rabbit doesn't seem happy playing with toys, I'd see other people with a bunch of toys and their rabbits happily interacting with them, am I doing something wrong? I'm not too certain if it's normal or there's other rabbits that do the same thing. I got him several chewing toys, also throwing toys. I had to throw some away because he just leave them in his bathroom corner. He still has his carrot chewing n' toss toy, half eaten, which he occasionally acknowledges in means of moving it out of his way. He has a wooden chewing toy that's meant to hang somewhere in his cage, he'll give some acknowledgement to that too, but not all the time. I just tried putting it where he can easily reach, like on the floor of his cage ( just did that; he simply moved it away from him. )

He can play with some of my baby brother's toys, he has a hard plastic bowling set, which I put up for him whenever he's having free roam in the living room, he'll occasionally knock it down. There's a ball he can toss and play with, a full mobile one that he can simply push to move, doesn't bother with it and tossing toy keys I'm sure he's able to throw around ( hard plastic keys, right? ) The only toys he actually enjoys are toilet rolls and paper towel rolls, woven toys ( balls ) and mainly his blankets. He'll spend maybe hours digging and burrowing under his blankets. I've tried different means in making him hand-made toys, like cardboard balls that'd have either hay or treats in it, he ignores them if it has a carrot in it. He also has a digging box that he simply eats the contents ( ripped up paper I believe is safe for rabbits and hay, along with several cardboard rolls for him to play with as well ), I'm trying to get him out of the habit of chewing the carpet, under the assumption giving him a digging box would help but it really doesn't help with his problem. I'm tempting on asking my mom to get stack-able cups that he can also play with but I fear it might be a waste if he just ignores them. I'm not sure if it's because his last owners didn't bother with toys either or it's because he's a larger rabbit. Also I'm having trouble with introducing him to different fruits and veggies that aren't carrots, he'll give them slight acknowledgement but refuses to try them. Not sure if it's just him being picky.

I can't say on the fruit/veggies, so I'll leave that to someone more experienced, but I wouldn't worry too much about the toys. Monty turns his nose up at just about everything - usually he'll nibble/explore for a couple of minutes when it first arrives, then it gets tossed to one side and forgotten. I like to say he's like a small child and prefers the packaging. His favourites are cardboard as well, so I try and make toys using those - at the moment, he has a loo roll with a treat in the middle, then hay at each end, so he has to nibble through something to get it. I also put fruit/veg (in small amounts!) in boxes, or folded up in used envelopes. He's also a big digger - he'll jump up on the sofa and dig really angrily at the duvet with this adorable look of bafflement on his face as to why the duvet isn't doing as it's told.

Have you looked at natural treats? His latest that he enjoyed was a ring of grasses woven together, that hung off of his cage door. We moved it halfway through, and he kept trying to get it from outside his hutch where it used to hang, so it definitely kept him puzzled and engaged. He's also enjoyed a couple of other things like that.

I never owned a rabbit that played with toys! they would use a tunnel and that was about it!

I'd keep persevering with the different foods. Herbs are usually popular :)

Mine dont bother with toys at all. They like it when I hide herbs or pellets in their hay and around their shed. Gives them something to do.

I scatter feed all my pets for this reason.

Loo rolls inners full of hay and a few bits of fresh herbs inside work well for a bit but nothing entertains them for long. The best things they can have are companionship and space. Lots of space.

I can't say on the fruit/veggies, so I'll leave that to someone more experienced, but I wouldn't worry too much about the toys. Monty turns his nose up at just about everything - usually he'll nibble/explore for a couple of minutes when it first arrives, then it gets tossed to one side and forgotten. I like to say he's like a small child and prefers the packaging. His favourites are cardboard as well, so I try and make toys using those - at the moment, he has a loo roll with a treat in the middle, then hay at each end, so he has to nibble through something to get it. I also put fruit/veg (in small amounts!) in boxes, or folded up in used envelopes. He's also a big digger - he'll jump up on the sofa and dig really angrily at the duvet with this adorable look of bafflement on his face as to why the duvet isn't doing as it's told.

Have you looked at natural treats? His latest that he enjoyed was a ring of grasses woven together, that hung off of his cage door. We moved it halfway through, and he kept trying to get it from outside his hutch where it used to hang, so it definitely kept him puzzled and engaged. He's also enjoyed a couple of other things like that.

I can try the next time I get some money in order to get him stuff. My parents tend to randomly give me treats if they're also happened to find something that he can use or I've asked for to get if able. I also have a tunnel shaped box he'll occasionally go through. He's pretty much happy playing with boxes from what it seems to anything cardboard.

Mine dont bother with toys at all. They like it when I hide herbs or pellets in their hay and around their shed. Gives them something to do.

I scatter feed all my pets for this reason.

Loo rolls inners full of hay and a few bits of fresh herbs inside work well for a bit but nothing entertains them for long. The best things they can have are companionship and space. Lots of space.

The space is handled as long as he behaves himself in the living room, that being the lone problem of him tearing the carpet, I also give him space in my room with an adjustable play pen. I'm working on trying to get another job so I can have enough money to get him a better cage and hopefully find another rabbit. So for now, I give him plenty of attention.

I'm wondering if you could forage for him. My bunnies like their most of their predecessors are not bothered by toys at all. They are always interested in forage though & some nice sticks (& leaves) to chew on might distract him from the carpet chewing

Back