• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Health update for Bailey! :)

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Well a lot of you are already aware of baileys previous health issues, including his ear infection. He's been for his 6 month check up today and I'm delighted to say he's still doing amazing and his ears remain pus free and very little wax.

I'm still cleaning his ears weekly which we'll continue to do, probably for the majority of his life, but at least it remains good news! :)

Although it's not the same for his eyes! :( he's been blinking alot more recently in one of his eyes, so thought we better get this checked.

Bailey has previously had 2 stye's which have come up and gone on their own without intervention thankfully. However today it's become quite clear that one of the stye's has actually scarred his eyelid causing continual inflammation in his upper eye lid. The scar itself has also caused an ulcer to appear. So my poor little man is now on chlorophenical drops for a week in hope this will clear up his ulcer. I've been told today it's very likely that the scarring may continue to do this, and may have to consider in the future an operation to remove the scar tissue from his eye lid to prevent it to keep causing inflammation in his eye.

I've got my fingers crossed the eye drops will help clear up the ulcer but not sure what we can do about The scarred tissue on his eye lid.. Anyone ever heard of this or even seen it?

Thanks xx

That's fantastic news about his ears! Well done to both you and Bailey [emoji3] We've both had really bad experiences with ear infections [emoji17]so I know this will be a huge relief for you.

I'm sorry about his eye problems though [emoji17] I'm afraid I don't have any experience with eye ulcers so can't offer any advice. I've got everything crossed that the eye drops will work some magic xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Well a lot of you are already aware of baileys previous health issues, including his ear infection. He's been for his 6 month check up today and I'm delighted to say he's still doing amazing and his ears remain pus free and very little wax.

I'm still cleaning his ears weekly which we'll continue to do, probably for the majority of his life, but at least it remains good news! :)

Although it's not the same for his eyes! :( he's been blinking alot more recently in one of his eyes, so thought we better get this checked.

Bailey has previously had 2 stye's which have come up and gone on their own without intervention thankfully. However today it's become quite clear that one of the stye's has actually scarred his eyelid causing continual inflammation in his upper eye lid. The scar itself has also caused an ulcer to appear. So my poor little man is now on chlorophenical drops for a week in hope this will clear up his ulcer. I've been told today it's very likely that the scarring may continue to do this, and may have to consider in the future an operation to remove the scar tissue from his eye lid to prevent it to keep causing inflammation in his eye.

I've got my fingers crossed the eye drops will help clear up the ulcer but not sure what we can do about The scarred tissue on his eye lid.. Anyone ever heard of this or even seen it?

Thanks xx

I was just about to ask you how Bella was when this thread came up :)

Oh Ruth - great news about Bailey's ears, but I'm really surprised about the scarring. What a shame!

I guess you'll have to wait and see whether the eye gets inflamed in the future through the scarring, and make a decision then. I don't think it will be a big op - has your vet commented on it at all?

Hi guys,

Thanks xx

Great news about Bailey's ears !! One of my Rabbits, Enya, had a similar eye problem to Bailey. She had a very minor op' to cauterise the scar tissue on the conjunctiva and this completely resolved the problem of recurring corneal ulcers :)

That's fantastic news about his ears! Well done to both you and Bailey [emoji3] We've both had really bad experiences with ear infections [emoji17]so I know this will be a huge relief for you.

I'm sorry about his eye problems though [emoji17] I'm afraid I don't have any experience with eye ulcers so can't offer any advice. I've got everything crossed that the eye drops will work some magic xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much scrappy, ear infections are just the worst, and yeah I am so so pleased about it. I honestly thought it was the end when I first got told last year but just proves every bunny is a fighter and different! :)

And thank you, yeah I'm really hoping so too, it was quite a shock yesterday. He's got a check up on Friday back with Tom, to see if it has improved and the imflamation gone down. If so, he can go onto something else just to reduce the imflamation from the scar tissue to see if that can keep it at bay, or if indeed another ulcer returns then we would have to consider surgery so fingers crossed! :) xxx

Thanks so much jane and mighty Max, I was hoping you'd see this thread! :)

Thanks so much about his ears, I am really happy for him! mighty Max - basically the vet just said, it's defo scar tissue which is gutting and from where it is, when looking back on the pictures, it is where his stye was so really unlucky! :(

Also when he's blinking that's then rubbing on his eye and causing the ulcer, but his upper eye lid is all very inflamed, and red. So we're on anti-biopics until Friday when he has an appointment. And then if they can be certain there is no infection, they'll put us onto another medication to help reduce the imfamation and may help the healing of the stye, but from the look of it, he thinks it's very likely this will keep repeating and he would probably need surgery to remove the scar tissue!

Thanks so much Jane, it's good to hear enya went through something similar and everything worked out great, bless her. Suppose we'll see how Friday goes and what's the plan next, he said surgery would involve cutting out the scar tissue, but the op enya has sounds better so I might run that past them and check if that's what he meant! Thanks again xxx

Thanks so much jane and mighty Max, I was hoping you'd see this thread! :)

Thanks so much about his ears, I am really happy for him! mighty Max - basically the vet just said, it's defo scar tissue which is gutting and from where it is, when looking back on the pictures, it is where his stye was so really unlucky! :(

Also when he's blinking that's then rubbing on his eye and causing the ulcer, but his upper eye lid is all very inflamed, and red. So we're on anti-biopics until Friday when he has an appointment. And then if they can be certain there is no infection, they'll put us onto another medication to help reduce the imfamation and may help the healing of the stye, but from the look of it, he thinks it's very likely this will keep repeating and he would probably need surgery to remove the scar tissue!

Thanks so much Jane, it's good to hear enya went through something similar and everything worked out great, bless her. Suppose we'll see how Friday goes and what's the plan next, he said surgery would involve cutting out the scar tissue, but the op enya has sounds better so I might run that past them and check if that's what he meant! Thanks again xxx

You're welcome :)

I hope you can keep the worry and stress level down until you see the vet. And even then, if it's a small op, it should be absolutely fine :) I don't like to think you've more issues with your buns, but hopefully this is just a minor blip, easily sorted :)

Back