Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Health update for Bailey! :)

  1. #1
    Mama Doe Ruthyjones89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,691

    Default Health update for Bailey! :)

    Hi guys,

    Well a lot of you are already aware of baileys previous health issues, including his ear infection. He's been for his 6 month check up today and I'm delighted to say he's still doing amazing and his ears remain pus free and very little wax.

    I'm still cleaning his ears weekly which we'll continue to do, probably for the majority of his life, but at least it remains good news!

    Although it's not the same for his eyes! he's been blinking alot more recently in one of his eyes, so thought we better get this checked.

    Bailey has previously had 2 stye's which have come up and gone on their own without intervention thankfully. However today it's become quite clear that one of the stye's has actually scarred his eyelid causing continual inflammation in his upper eye lid. The scar itself has also caused an ulcer to appear. So my poor little man is now on chlorophenical drops for a week in hope this will clear up his ulcer. I've been told today it's very likely that the scarring may continue to do this, and may have to consider in the future an operation to remove the scar tissue from his eye lid to prevent it to keep causing inflammation in his eye.

    I've got my fingers crossed the eye drops will help clear up the ulcer but not sure what we can do about The scarred tissue on his eye lid.. Anyone ever heard of this or even seen it?

    Thanks xx
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

  2. #2
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,746

    Default

    That's fantastic news about his ears! Well done to both you and Bailey We've both had really bad experiences with ear infections so I know this will be a huge relief for you.

    I'm sorry about his eye problems though I'm afraid I don't have any experience with eye ulcers so can't offer any advice. I've got everything crossed that the eye drops will work some magic xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthyjones89 View Post
    Hi guys,

    Well a lot of you are already aware of baileys previous health issues, including his ear infection. He's been for his 6 month check up today and I'm delighted to say he's still doing amazing and his ears remain pus free and very little wax.

    I'm still cleaning his ears weekly which we'll continue to do, probably for the majority of his life, but at least it remains good news!

    Although it's not the same for his eyes! he's been blinking alot more recently in one of his eyes, so thought we better get this checked.

    Bailey has previously had 2 stye's which have come up and gone on their own without intervention thankfully. However today it's become quite clear that one of the stye's has actually scarred his eyelid causing continual inflammation in his upper eye lid. The scar itself has also caused an ulcer to appear. So my poor little man is now on chlorophenical drops for a week in hope this will clear up his ulcer. I've been told today it's very likely that the scarring may continue to do this, and may have to consider in the future an operation to remove the scar tissue from his eye lid to prevent it to keep causing inflammation in his eye.

    I've got my fingers crossed the eye drops will help clear up the ulcer but not sure what we can do about The scarred tissue on his eye lid.. Anyone ever heard of this or even seen it?

    Thanks xx

    I was just about to ask you how Bella was when this thread came up

    Oh Ruth - great news about Bailey's ears, but I'm really surprised about the scarring. What a shame!

    I guess you'll have to wait and see whether the eye gets inflamed in the future through the scarring, and make a decision then. I don't think it will be a big op - has your vet commented on it at all?

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    127,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthyjones89 View Post
    Hi guys,

    Well a lot of you are already aware of baileys previous health issues, including his ear infection. He's been for his 6 month check up today and I'm delighted to say he's still doing amazing and his ears remain pus free and very little wax.

    I'm still cleaning his ears weekly which we'll continue to do, probably for the majority of his life, but at least it remains good news!

    Although it's not the same for his eyes! he's been blinking alot more recently in one of his eyes, so thought we better get this checked.

    Bailey has previously had 2 stye's which have come up and gone on their own without intervention thankfully. However today it's become quite clear that one of the stye's has actually scarred his eyelid causing continual inflammation in his upper eye lid. The scar itself has also caused an ulcer to appear. So my poor little man is now on chlorophenical drops for a week in hope this will clear up his ulcer. I've been told today it's very likely that the scarring may continue to do this, and may have to consider in the future an operation to remove the scar tissue from his eye lid to prevent it to keep causing inflammation in his eye.

    I've got my fingers crossed the eye drops will help clear up the ulcer but not sure what we can do about The scarred tissue on his eye lid.. Anyone ever heard of this or even seen it?

    Thanks xx
    Great news about Bailey's ears !! One of my Rabbits, Enya, had a similar eye problem to Bailey. She had a very minor op' to cauterise the scar tissue on the conjunctiva and this completely resolved the problem of recurring corneal ulcers

  5. #5
    Mama Doe Ruthyjones89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    That's fantastic news about his ears! Well done to both you and Bailey We've both had really bad experiences with ear infections so I know this will be a huge relief for you.

    I'm sorry about his eye problems though I'm afraid I don't have any experience with eye ulcers so can't offer any advice. I've got everything crossed that the eye drops will work some magic xx

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks so much scrappy, ear infections are just the worst, and yeah I am so so pleased about it. I honestly thought it was the end when I first got told last year but just proves every bunny is a fighter and different!

    And thank you, yeah I'm really hoping so too, it was quite a shock yesterday. He's got a check up on Friday back with Tom, to see if it has improved and the imflamation gone down. If so, he can go onto something else just to reduce the imflamation from the scar tissue to see if that can keep it at bay, or if indeed another ulcer returns then we would have to consider surgery so fingers crossed! xxx
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

  6. #6
    Mama Doe Ruthyjones89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Thanks so much jane and mighty Max, I was hoping you'd see this thread!

    Thanks so much about his ears, I am really happy for him! mighty Max - basically the vet just said, it's defo scar tissue which is gutting and from where it is, when looking back on the pictures, it is where his stye was so really unlucky!

    Also when he's blinking that's then rubbing on his eye and causing the ulcer, but his upper eye lid is all very inflamed, and red. So we're on anti-biopics until Friday when he has an appointment. And then if they can be certain there is no infection, they'll put us onto another medication to help reduce the imfamation and may help the healing of the stye, but from the look of it, he thinks it's very likely this will keep repeating and he would probably need surgery to remove the scar tissue!

    Thanks so much Jane, it's good to hear enya went through something similar and everything worked out great, bless her. Suppose we'll see how Friday goes and what's the plan next, he said surgery would involve cutting out the scar tissue, but the op enya has sounds better so I might run that past them and check if that's what he meant! Thanks again xxx
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthyjones89 View Post
    Thanks so much jane and mighty Max, I was hoping you'd see this thread!

    Thanks so much about his ears, I am really happy for him! mighty Max - basically the vet just said, it's defo scar tissue which is gutting and from where it is, when looking back on the pictures, it is where his stye was so really unlucky!

    Also when he's blinking that's then rubbing on his eye and causing the ulcer, but his upper eye lid is all very inflamed, and red. So we're on anti-biopics until Friday when he has an appointment. And then if they can be certain there is no infection, they'll put us onto another medication to help reduce the imfamation and may help the healing of the stye, but from the look of it, he thinks it's very likely this will keep repeating and he would probably need surgery to remove the scar tissue!

    Thanks so much Jane, it's good to hear enya went through something similar and everything worked out great, bless her. Suppose we'll see how Friday goes and what's the plan next, he said surgery would involve cutting out the scar tissue, but the op enya has sounds better so I might run that past them and check if that's what he meant! Thanks again xxx

    You're welcome

    I hope you can keep the worry and stress level down until you see the vet. And even then, if it's a small op, it should be absolutely fine I don't like to think you've more issues with your buns, but hopefully this is just a minor blip, easily sorted

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •