• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

brothers!!

Hi all, I have 3 brothers aged 8 weeks. My question is... will i be able to keep them together as a bonded three, or will they start fighting when 'teenager hormones kick in?
Thanks for any advice...:D:):shock:

Hi, how lovely! Trios are wonderful :)

You *should* be able to keep them together, but you will need to watch them very carefully until they are ready to be neutered. Your vet should be happy to neuter each of them once their plums drop, but it's best to confirm this.

You will need to watch for any aggression, because fighting between rabbits can quickly become quite serious. Also if they fight, they will not forget and then it will be unlikely that you will be able to rebond them. If you notice any hint of chasing or aggression, they must be split up straight away and kept completely separate, preferably not in sight of each other, until after their neuters. As long as they have not fought, there is a good chance they could be re-bonded after their hormones have subsided post neuter (at least 6 weeks).

I hope all goes well. Bucks are less territorial than does, so there's a good chance of success.

Hi all, I have 3 brothers aged 8 weeks. My question is... will i be able to keep them together as a bonded three, or will they start fighting when 'teenager hormones kick in?
Thanks for any advice...:D:):shock:

Hi there :D

Your buns sound lovely :)

It's really impossible to say whether they will start fighting when hormones kick in. Here's a guide to neutering and the age that's best:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Most vets would prefer to wait until 4 months to neuter, but the op can be done any time after the testicles descend. The important thing though, would be to get them neutered *at the same time*. If you tell your vet you wish this, and for it to happen as soon as is feasible, then you can keep an eye on when's the best time. The rabbits also have to be a fair weight by then to undergo the GA and operation.

If they do have a scrap, it's not a forgone conclusion that they won't get back together amicably after the operation. No way - I've known this happen with the rescue rabbits I've fostered and once the hormones have subsided you can 're-bond'. So there's much hope :)

For the hormones to 'settle' I would advise a minimum of 4 weeks, and a maximum of 8 weeks. However, you're hoping to keep them together, so this is for the worst case scenario, where they fought and were separated prior to neutering.

I hope you'll be able to keep them all together :D

As the others have suggested - get them neutered together as early as possible.
If they start fighting - separate immediately until several weeks after neutering and re-bond all at once.
Trios are so much more fun.

Back