• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi everyone I'm new

FayeB

New Kit
I'm looking for some helpful advice and tips for my rabbits please. We are experienced pet owners but not bunnies! We bought a lionhead doe a few weeks ago and we are rescuing a lionhead buck tomorrow.

We wanted a companion for our popcorn firstly and also we are head over heels in love with lionhead rabbits!!

They are indoor rabbits and I am getting the buck neutered in a few weeks, kept separate from popcorn until they are both 'done'

Has anyone kept lionheads and any tips on grooming and cleaning? I've noticed popcorn gets a bit messy as she is fluffy and I don't want her to get sore and uncomfortable.

Thank you 😘
8a0982e0217c867ce59599e68f23e979.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hello, and welcome to the forum:wave: Popcorn is gorgeous:love: I have had lionheads in the past and they do need brushing and combing to keep on top of any knots or tangles, but I haven't found they get any messier than any other breed.

Hallo! Welcome to the forum :)

She's lovely - a little ball of fluff! We, too, have a lionhead. We find the best thing is to groom in small amounts frequently, usually every 2-3 days. We bought him a comb (an expensive "gentleman's" comb, as he liked to attack and bite anything used to groom him) and we concentrate especially on his head mane, as this tends to be quite wispy and easily tangled. Behind his ears is an especially troublesome spot. I think the best thing is just to stay on top of it, make sure you brush/comb frequently, and also try and remove stray bits of hay/soil/dead fur as soon as you spot it. If a piece of hay gets left in his fur for more than a few minutes, it usually gets tangled right in. But as long as you are combing regularly, there shouldn't be any need to do any more than that - Monty, at least, is very good at keeping himself clean, he just needs help with knots and getting the old fur out.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

Such a gorgeous little bun. We have 3 lionhead / mini lops and another who we suspect is part lionhead too. I find that their fur doesn't require much maintenance, as a trio I think they keep on top of it pretty well and just need a bit of a brush.

Good luck for tomorrow x

Welcome to the forum popcorn is lovely, I'd do daily grooming to try keep Matt free, if any Matt's do form that are hard then you could gently trim it

Back