• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, Ghibli's stopped eating

ghibli

Warren Scout
Hi,

The day before yesterday, in the evening when I normally give them their treats before bed, Ghibli was disinterested. I thought he was just annoyed with me, but in the morning he didn't eat any hay or greens. I even went out and bought him his favourite treats and he just looked at them. I've taken him to see a vet and they've given him a shot to get his digestive system working again and an anti inflammatory, but he still not eating that much he takes the occasional nibble from things and spends most of the time hiding. They gave me this powder to mix up and siring feed him, which he seems to like, and when I got up this morning there where Ghibli droppings in their hay/lit tray.

He's seeing the vet today at 12 but I'm really scared. I don't know what to do anymore. Should I just leave him alone or should I try to encourage him to eat. He pocked out his head this morning at feeding time, and took some greens with him, but not really that much.

What do I do?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Hi,

The day before yesterday, in the evening when I normally give them their treats before bed, Ghibli was disinterested. I thought he was just annoyed with me, but in the morning he didn't eat any hay or greens. I even went out and bought him his favourite treats and he just looked at them. I've taken him to see a vet and they've given him a shot to get his digestive system working again and an anti inflammatory, but he still not eating that much he takes the occasional nibble from things and spends most of the time hiding. They gave me this powder to mix up and siring feed him, which he seems to like, and when I got up this morning there where Ghibli droppings in their hay/lit tray.

He's seeing the vet today at 12 but I'm really scared. I don't know what to do anymore. Should I just leave him alone or should I try to encourage him to eat. He pocked out his head this morning at feeding time, and took some greens with him, but not really that much.

What do I do?

Did the Vet check Ghilbi's teeth ? If he has a sore mouth that will stop him from wanting to eat. If he has not eaten much at all overnight but has passed some poo then I would try to syringe feed him this morning. He needs food in his tummy to keep things ticking over. It's good that the Vet will be seeing him again today. I hope that he will soon be feeling much better x

Did the Vet check Ghilbi's teeth ? If he has a sore mouth that will stop him from wanting to eat. If he has not eaten much at all overnight but has passed some poo then I would try to syringe feed him this morning. He needs food in his tummy to keep things ticking over. It's good that the Vet will be seeing him again today. I hope that he will soon be feeling much better x

I think he eat a small amount in the night, but I syringe fed him this morning anyway just in case. His poops are much smaller than Twinkle ✨'s co's Twinkle ✨' s twice his size, and there where Ghibli poops in the hay when I changed it.

The dentist did check his mouth, and said there was nothing wrong. He also checked his temperature and his stomach, and again nothing wrong. The thing is he picks up food like he wants to eat it then stops!

I fed him this mornings around 5 so I give him another feed around 9, and he's seeing the vet at 12.

He's not moving much, but when he does move he doesn't seem lethargic. He run like he's alway done, it's just that he's hiding all the time 😢

I'm sorry that Ghibli's not eating.

Did the vet give you any medication to give to Ghibli at home? If not, I would be asking if you could have some gut meds and also some pain killer to give him for a few days.

It's good that he's produced some poo. If you are managing to feed him with the recovery food, I wouldn't keep trying him with different foods if it seems it is stressing him. Any fresh food that you can get him to eat, dowse in water first to help him remain well hydrated. Strong-smelling herbs are sometimes successful such as Coriander, Dill, Parsley

I hope he feels better soon.

Hi,

What do I do?

Hi there :)

I'm sorry ghibli isn't feeling well.

It could well be that he is suffering some pain with his teeth. Unless a vet is able to do 'conscious dentals' then they cannot see more than 50% into the mouth without a general anaesthetic. It's often impossible to tell just by a look then whether the back teeth are actually the issue.

I'm glad he's seeing the vet.

I would encourage him to eat - I often try some herbs such as dill and coriander, and parsley. If you crush the stems and leaves it releases the aroma and can make them more appetising.

However, if it's tooth pain, he may not want to eat at all, and syringing may be the only way to go for the time being

Good luck at the vet today x

Hi there :)

I'm sorry ghibli isn't feeling well.

It could well be that he is suffering some pain with his teeth. Unless a vet is able to do 'conscious dentals' then they cannot see more than 50% into the mouth without a general anaesthetic. It's often impossible to tell just by a look then whether the back teeth are actually the issue.

I'm glad he's seeing the vet.

I would encourage him to eat - I often try some herbs such as dill and coriander, and parsley. If you crush the stems and leaves it releases the aroma and can make them more appetising.

However, if it's tooth pain, he may not want to eat at all, and syringing may be the only way to go for the time being

Good luck at the vet today x
Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely bring it up with the vet!

I'd be a bit worried about him having anesthetic TBH though.

He has always had this really weird way of drinking where he laps a bit, then raises his head, like he's holding the water at the back of his mouth, but he's been doing that since I got him when he was 18 months old. He's now around 4.

The thing is that when this happened it was really sudden. Like he just decided he didn't want to eat anymore. Sometimes he seems to forget, but then he just takes the the food, and puts it on the ground without even trying to chew it!

He did eat a couple of pieces of dill this morning, and some kale, and he didn't seem to be in any discomfort. It was more like he wasn't hungry!

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely bring it up with the vet!

I'd be a bit worried about him having anesthetic TBH though.

He has always had this really weird way of drinking where he laps a bit, then raises his head, like he's holding the water at the back of his mouth, but he's been doing that since I got him when he was 18 months old. He's now around 4.

The thing is that when this happened it was really sudden. Like he just decided he didn't want to eat anymore. Sometimes he seems to forget, but then he just takes the the food, and puts it on the ground without even trying to chew it!

He did eat a couple of pieces of dill this morning, and some kale, and he didn't seem to be in any discomfort. It was more like he wasn't hungry!

You're welcome :)

Has he ever had his teeth looked at properly? (i.e. by a vet who does conscious dentals, or otherwise under GA). That way of drinking also reminds me of teeth issues.

I would eliminate that before going on to consider what else may be at issue. When/if he has an anaesthetic then ask the vet to take a skull X-ray (head radiographs) - my vet doesn't do them unless pushed!

Let me know how you got on at the vet today :)

Hi,

What do I do?

My rabbit did the exact same thing the last 2 weekends, just suddenly went off his food. It has taken time to get him back to eating normally again. In addition to the critical care, you need to start by offering some exciting food; they usually start with herbs and leaves, dried forage and (small quantities of) grass or extra special hay. They don't go back to normal eating straight away. Our rabbit only started picking at pellets after about 36 hours, but it was 4 days later before he was back to normal excitement levels when I came through with breakfast.

You should continue to give him his medication for a few days at least, and try giving some belly rubs to help any gas pains (look up how on YouTube). I'd definitely be giving a bit of Metacam as well.

It sounds like my bunny drinks like yours - I wasn't aware that could be a teeth thing :shock: but he's always done it.

My rabbit did the exact same thing the last 2 weekends, just suddenly went off his food. It has taken time to get him back to eating normally again. In addition to the critical care, you need to start by offering some exciting food; they usually start with herbs and leaves, dried forage and (small quantities of) grass or extra special hay. They don't go back to normal eating straight away. Our rabbit only started picking at pellets after about 36 hours, but it was 4 days later before he was back to normal excitement levels when I came through with breakfast.

You should continue to give him his medication for a few days at least, and try giving some belly rubs to help any gas pains (look up how on YouTube). I'd definitely be giving a bit of Metacam as well.

It sounds like my bunny drinks like yours - I wasn't aware that could be a teeth thing :shock: but he's always done it.

It could be, but I hope it isn't -in both your cases

Sadly, Ghibli passed away at 6:30 this morning in my arms being stroked, and I'm utterly deviated. I don't want to go into all the details, except to say thank you to everyone who, over the years, have taken the time to give me advice.

R. I. P Little fella, you'll always be in my heart 😢

Sadly, Ghibli passed away at 6:30 this morning in my arms being stroked, and I'm utterly deviated. I don't want to go into all the details, except to say thank you to everyone who, over the years, have taken the time to give me advice.

I am so very very sorry. You must be heartbroken xx

I'm so terribly sorry [emoji17]

Ghibli was clearly a very special and much loved bunny and you did absolutely everything you could for him. It's just so heartbreaking that sometimes however hard we try we just can't turn things around for them [emoji17]

Sleep tight little Ghibli xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am extremely saddened to read this news :cry:

RIP little Bunny xx

Back