• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Afraid and not eating

Bulibby

New Kit
I woke up this morning and found that all the nuggets I had scattered on the floor for my rabbit were still there and she normally eats them all. I also heard her digging a lot this morning but I've barely seen her today which is very unlike her. she came out from under my bed, which is where she spends a lot of the time she's asleep or afraid, a couple of times. Once was to go to her hut in her cage where she sat for a couple of hours and I tried to give her a treat which she didn't touch and I stroked her. But when I stopped stroking her and just sat next to her she ran back under my bed. When I looked under I noticed she was in the corner farthest away where she never normally sits. A while later I was doing things in my room when I heard her digging a the cardboard boxes next to my bed but she never came out. Later on she came out and went to her litter tray and looked completely normal so I went over to stroke so I gave her my hand to sniff before touching her and she ran away back under the bed. Normally she can't get enough of stokes.
Does any one know what could be going on or how I can get her back to normal?
My family suggested that it could be that something scared her during the night but normally she sit in her littler tray if that happens. We're going on holiday so we've been getting ready for that could see sense that something's going on?
We're leaving tomorrow so I don't know what to do.

She needs to see a vet asap. A rabbit not eating need emergency veterinary care. She is probably acting like this because she is in pain. Please call a vet. She has gone nearly 24 hours since eating and she will only deteriorate if she doesn't get the correct treatment now.

I agree with Vegan Bunny. A rabbit not eating for that amount of time is a serious issue and she needs to be examined by a vet. She is also probably in pain.

I woke up this morning and found that all the nuggets I had scattered on the floor for my rabbit were still there and she normally eats them all. I also heard her digging a lot this morning but I've barely seen her today which is very unlike her. she came out from under my bed, which is where she spends a lot of the time she's asleep or afraid, a couple of times. Once was to go to her hut in her cage where she sat for a couple of hours and I tried to give her a treat which she didn't touch and I stroked her. But when I stopped stroking her and just sat next to her she ran back under my bed. When I looked under I noticed she was in the corner farthest away where she never normally sits. A while later I was doing things in my room when I heard her digging a the cardboard boxes next to my bed but she never came out. Later on she came out and went to her litter tray and looked completely normal so I went over to stroke so I gave her my hand to sniff before touching her and she ran away back under the bed. Normally she can't get enough of stokes.
Does any one know what could be going on or how I can get her back to normal?
My family suggested that it could be that something scared her during the night but normally she sit in her littler tray if that happens. We're going on holiday so we've been getting ready for that could see sense that something's going on?
We're leaving tomorrow so I don't know what to do.

Hi Bulibby.

Who is looking after her whilst you are on holiday?

It seems that she will need to see a vet as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to leave it until tomorrow. I hope you've rung the vet already to ask their advice? Poor wee one, it sounds like she may be in pain.

If it's stasis, it's best to catch it early, before a rabbit becomes even more poorly. In this weather, they can easily become dehydrated - the vet can give fluids which will make her feel a lot better.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.php

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

http://www.melbournerabbitclinic.com/melbournerabbi/stasis.html

.... some articles on stasis, and the importance of prompt veterinary treatment.

Good luck, I hope you can find help for her x

I've been to the vet they couldnt find anything wrong. She wasn't in pain and her teeth were fine. So they gave us some medicine to stop her feeling sick and some food stuff in a syringe to give her. They said if she still hasn't eaten by lunch time tomorrow to bring her back in

I've been to the vet they couldnt find anything wrong. She wasn't in pain and her teeth were fine. So they gave us some medicine to stop her feeling sick and some food stuff in a syringe to give her. They said if she still hasn't eaten by lunch time tomorrow to bring her back in

I am glad you've been to see the vet.

Who is looking after her whilst you're away? Will they be able to take her into the vet?

I am glad you've been to see the vet.

Who is looking after her whilst you're away? Will they be able to take her into the vet?

My auntie is going to look after and for the first couple of days she will have to give the food stuff I'm not sure how that will go and if the worst came to the worst and she had to take her to the vet I think she could. If she couldn't she would phone us for advice.

My auntie is going to look after and for the first couple of days she will have to give the food stuff I'm not sure how that will go and if the worst came to the worst and she had to take her to the vet I think she could. If she couldn't she would phone us for advice.

Oh right - I hope she goes on well :)

Have a lovely holiday and vibes for the little one to get well very soon x

Make sure the vet is rabbit savvy. If she's not eating it does mean something is wrong and likelyhood is that she is indeed in pain...which is why she isn't eating and hiding. How did your vet judge whether she's in pain? Rabbits hide the fact they're in pain, especially at the vets.

Make sure the vet is rabbit savvy. If she's not eating it does mean something is wrong and likelyhood is that she is indeed in pain...which is why she isn't eating and hiding. How did your vet judge whether she's in pain? Rabbits hide the fact they're in pain, especially at the vets.

I agree - you need a rabbit savvy vet to help diagnose a rabbit :)

I hope all is well with your rabbit. Are you off yet?

I'm sorry to say, but you need to see a different vet. As Vegan bunny says, a rabbit not eating is highly likely to be in pain from something, and there's no way any vet can tell you she isn't in pain! I hope your parents realise how serious this is and are willing to try a different vet :( I do hope she will be ok :(

Back