• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Cage

reede2

Young Bun
hey guys reede here so i have got my rabbit a new cage since being on the fourm and tell me what you think of it
is it good that it has too levels so she has more room to run around?

19866459_1588124244591260_220896780_n.jpg

Guys looks its fudge sleeping in her own poop in her littler tray on the bottom floor :D

19832831_1588129901257361_1931723995_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there,
Unfortunately this cage is too small for Fudge. Rabbits require constant access to a large area - the RWAF recommend a minimum of 60 square ft. I found this video online, I think it demonstrates why rabbits need a lot of room better than I can explain it! :)
Hopefully this link will give you some ideas as to some more suitable housing: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/indoor-rabbit-housing/
Fudge is very cute! :love:

Last edited:
Aww Fudge looks really cute cuddled up in the litter tray there. How much space is there outside the cage area and does Fudge have constant access to it?

When I had two rabbits I fenced of an area in my bedroom for them with puppy panels and they had an area about 6 x 8 to run about in.

Two levels are useful for space but do not allow for running around as the ramp takes up most of the downstairs area and the hole most of the upstairs one. If you have the cage permanently open with a run that would be better.

A very nice cage - but I am afraid it is too small - it needs a run to be attached to it for it to be suitable. Rabbits need space to exercise 24 hours a day, not 5 hours (as stated in the RWAF guidelines on suitable housing and the 'a hutch is not enough' campaign.). There are some really good examples on here and perhaps they will give you some ideas.

Hi again,
Whilst five hours of playtime is better than none, what about the other nineteen? Rabbits are naturally crepuscular, meaning they are most active in the early morning and evening - does her playtime mimic this?
Being confined in a small cage will have detrimental affects to both her emotional and long-term physical health. Rabbits who do not get sufficient exercise are prone to conditions such as arthritis, which will cause her pain.

I appreciate your frustration over 'wasting' money, however suitable housing does not need to be overly expensive. You can buy playpens made for puppies to section off an area: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Dogs/Rabbit-Foldable-Playpen-Indoor-Outdoor-Enclosure-Height/B01LZ8S2M2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1499517374&sr=1-2&keywords=puppy%2Bplaypen&th=1
If you were to buy something like this, then you could attach it to her current cage so that it is not wasted.

Here is a link to the housing sticky on the forum, it shows some examples and more information: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing&p=4899621&viewfull=1#post4899621

Back