• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toileting on sofa!

BeccaT

Young Bun
Having had my 2 rescue boys for just over a month they have discovered the sofa. They love bounding around & being up on the windowsill, which is absolutely fine. But they have started going to the toilet on the sofa. I have put a litter tray (with newspaper in) on there but obviously with no hay as don't want that on sofa. I have been putting any stray poo into the tray, but the urine is marking the fabric & hubby is not happy! Is there anything I can do to encourage them to use the tray (or get down & use their normal trays) so that they can still access the windowsill spot they love do much? If I can't solve it then hubby is not going to let them go up there.
(They are neutered & mainly use their other litter trays well)

Having had my 2 rescue boys for just over a month they have discovered the sofa. They love bounding around & being up on the windowsill, which is absolutely fine. But they have started going to the toilet on the sofa. I have put a litter tray (with newspaper in) on there but obviously with no hay as don't want that on sofa. I have been putting any stray poo into the tray, but the urine is marking the fabric & hubby is not happy! Is there anything I can do to encourage them to use the tray (or get down & use their normal trays) so that they can still access the windowsill spot they love do much? If I can't solve it then hubby is not going to let them go up there.
(They are neutered & mainly use their other litter trays well)

Hi Becca - not nice!

It's a habit you definitely need to discourage and fast and firmly :) Apparently it can take as long as three weeks tor sort an issue like this, even when it's just begun, so the sooner the better.

I would (somehow or another) NOT allow access onto the sofa. Have a look at these links and see whether there's something you feel you can implement:

http://rabbit.org/faq-training/

This is an especially good article, I think :)

http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/top-bunny/

I realise you want them to access the windowsill, but I feel this is a hiding to nothing. I would ban all access to the sofa. At least until they are trustworthy when on it. Might take some doing - I agree with your hubby :)

We had exactly this problem, and couldn't stop access to the sofa (I think we are about to have it with the bed, as well). We threw a duvet over the sofa to protect the fabric, and changed the duvet cover regularly. We also made a huge fuss over him every time he hopped up - he hates being stroked/cuddled, so we went completely OTT on those until he decided the sofa wasn't worth it anymore. Would it be possible to protect your sofa in some way like that until they desist? I don't know but I suspect putting a litter tray up there will just encourage them to think of it as a place to litter.

Puppy panels are your best friend in situations like these. Nice tall ones. Dont look so great but a lot better that wee'd on fabric.

If you still want to allow sofa access try an old duvet and a waterproof cover of some kind (again not the greatest looks wise). Hope you manage to sort something. I once had a lovely pair of rabbits who made a neat little hole in the back of the sofa and would sit in there for hours. I did find poos but no wet patches thankfully.

Puppy panels are your best friend in situations like these. Nice tall ones. Dont look so great but a lot better that wee'd on fabric.

If you still want to allow sofa access try an old duvet and a waterproof cover of some kind (again not the greatest looks wise). Hope you manage to sort something. I once had a lovely pair of rabbits who made a neat little hole in the back of the sofa and would sit in there for hours. I did find poos but no wet patches thankfully.

This is the thing ... I don't want to advise people to have to live with such inconvenience as I wouldn't like to barricade bits of my house off from the bunnies. That's why I advocate training rather than covering the sofa with this and that etc ....

Some places are just not meant for the toilet :D

Back