• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molar Spurs, diet advice

Hi, I'm new here!
I have a lovely house rabbit called Sooty. He will be 5 years old in October 17. We had him unexpectedly from Pets at Home after falling in love with him and being told he was going to be put in the back to make room for new stock!
What Pets at Home (unsurprisingly) failed to tell us what that Sooty had dental disease. This became apparent when his bottom incisors grew like tusks and they looked remarkably different to our previous bunnies teeth, so a trip to the vet meant that we learnt all about dental disease in bunnies, and he had them trimmed. As time went on and Sooty's teeth got more tough as he got older, we decided to have them extracted so as to give him a better quality of life! He manages really well without them and we wouldn't have our gummy bunny any other way.
However, Sooty has to have his molar spurs filed down every few months as they grow into his cheeks. They cause him no trouble until one spike gets too long and sharp, and he goes very quiet and that means its time for a filing!
Today he "told me" he needed to go to the vet to have them filed. We went this morning, he had some painkillers and he is in tomorrow morning to have the procedure. The teeth have grown very quickly as it is only a month since his last visit. I have googled things we could be doing to slow the tooth growth, and the main thing people advise is HAY, HAY and more HAY! Sooty will not eat hay. I don't know if a large part of this is his missing incisors? But when we cut down his pellets as we know he should only be having a few egg cups full a day, in an attempt to make him forage a little in his hay, he just follows us around like a puppy or waits by his food cupboard.
I'm determined to find a way to encourage more hay eating! So any tips anyone has are welcome! Any tips on slowing tooth growth in other ways are welcome too!
Thank you!!!

Have you tried mixing his pellets into the hay? You could try mixing in a bit of grated carrot, or spraying on a bit of apple juice He might like readigrass, which would help wear his teeth down. And/or grass collected from the garden, so long as it hasn't been treated with chemicals. (Not lawnmower clippings as they shouldn't be fed)

Back