• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit diet check

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hi all,

For any of you that are following the thread in the housing section, we have ordered a hutch and are planning for a home visit from the RSPCA to adopt a pair of rabbits...

Starting to consider the diet, and plan the following from some brief reading online:

- The rabbits will have constant access to grass (within a run), so therefore don't plan to give huge amounts of Hay, apart from topping up a hanging basket with it daily.
- Egg cup of pellets each day for each rabbit
- Water in a bowl and in a bottle
- Some broccoli or other veg we have :)

Does this sound sufficient, any amendments required?

Thanks

That sounds broadly right :D One thing to add to vegetables (and a little fruit for a treat) is herbs, if you grow any. Herbs usually go down better than most veg in our household. We also try and stick to a diet of mostly leafy green veg (/herbs) with other types to supplement, but I think everyone does their diet differently depending on what your bunnies like.

The problem of keeping them on grass is that it can get very muddy - and the grass soon goes. Whatever else they have, they need masses of hay - 90% of their diet needs to be hay (and grass of course) so they really do need lots: the more the better, both for their teeth and their digestive systems.

PS Stick to the amount and type of food they are being fed they are given at present and then very gradually change over to a high quality pellet and reduce the amount - as you say - to an eggcupful each. No sudden changes is key.

Will do Babsie,

With regards to getting muddy/grass going - any recommendations for avoiding this/really slowing it down? Other than giving them bales of hay :)

There is a 250kg bale going for £20 near me lol, suspect two rabbits will struggle to get through that before it goes bad!

Will do Babsie,

With regards to getting muddy/grass going - any recommendations for avoiding this/really slowing it down? Other than giving them bales of hay :)

There is a 250kg bale going for £20 near me lol, suspect two rabbits will struggle to get through that before it goes bad![/Q

There isn't any answer if you want your rabbits to be on grass. I have mine on the patio. You may like to get some other 'special' hay and dried forage available on-line.

Unless you move the run to a fresh patch of grass every week, the grass will go and they will be on soil. Not a lot you can do about it if the run is permanently in one place. I would consider flagging the run area or using horse matting (thick rubber sheets).

I go down the forage route, with mainly cabbage and dried forage during winter.
Lots of hay at all times - if stored properly it will keep for a year - that's what it is designed to do.
If you have other grass areas in your garden, you could allow supervised free range time, or have a second, moveable run. You can link runs with Runaround tunnels or just move bunnies between. Make sure there is water available and some shelter (eg small dog kennel or small hutch with door open.

Hmm! It may be a case that we let them turn it into a mud bath as the run will have to stay in one place (attached to hutch, and quite a large one at that). What do you mean by flagging the run area sorry?

I may have some interlocking rubber mats we can use which we previously used for our gym (now gets little use - as I joined a bigger one!) - would they be OK?

Last edited:
Hmm! It may be a case that we let them turn it into a mud bath as the run will have to stay in one place (attached to hutch, and quite a large one at that). What do you mean by flagging the run area sorry?

I may have some interlocking rubber mats we can use which we previously used for our gym (now gets little use - as I joined a bigger one!) - would they be OK?

Using solid paving slabs of concrete or other material under the run area :thumb:

This will make it easier to clean, stop the rabbits digging out or predators digging in, and keep it looking nice :thumb:

You could use rubber matting on top of the slabs.

Back