• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding young netherland dwarf

Petrus82

New Kit
Hi there,

I have just bought an 8 week netherland dwarf. I have Timothy hay and burgess pellets for dwarf rabbits. How often and how much fresh food should I feed him?

Any baby bunny should be fed as he was at his previous home. Hay should be fine anyway. Any dry food (pellets) should be the same brand and quantity he was brought up on. You can gradually change brands later, if you want to. Fresh food - you really need to know what he has had before in terms of which veg and how much - otherwise let him settle in for a couple of weeks and gradually introduce new veg or forage into his diet over several weeks. Any sudden change to his diet may cause digestive upsets - and these can have serious consequences, especially in young rabbits with immature digestive systems. Any abnormal poo or stopping eating needs urgent vet attention.

Do you have a rabbit savvy vet? He can be vaccinated now (there are 2 different vaccinations given a couple of weeks apart) and you can ask about neutering at the same time.

He was fed a really cheap rabbit food - Wagg Bunny Brunch. He was given unlimited amounts of Wagg and unlimited amounts of hay. Should I keep feeding the Wagg for now?

Yes, I have a good vet. However, I thought the vaccination was combined rather than two different ones?

He was fed a really cheap rabbit food - Wagg Bunny Brunch. He was given unlimited amounts of Wagg and unlimited amounts of hay. Should I keep feeding the Wagg for now?

Yes, I have a good vet. However, I thought the vaccination was combined rather than two different ones?

It used to be just one combined vaccine called the Novibac/Myxo. Now there is another strain of VHD, called VHD2 or RHD2.

More info on that here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-10th-June-2017

A bit of a long read - start at the end :)

Basically it's Filavac and is to be given once yearly. This new strain of VHD doesn't kill rabbits quite so quickly, and that gives time for the virus to spread further, unfortunately

Back