• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Shopping Troubles

Hi There

I used this forum years ago and haven't been here since. So I am new and not new!
I just wanted to ask a question as I have always kept buns, however now I have 0 as my previous one passed away over a month ago. She was 12.

I have just started bun shopping and finding it somewhat difficult. I usually go for older rabbits that have either been abandoned or cannot breed. But now I am torn weather to get a couple of younger ones for a change or stick to an older one. I visited one Mini Lop bun last night that I really liked (1 year old un neutered), and he was just all over the place. Very scratchy and hated being handled. For me I would prefer a relaxed bunny as its going to be indoors, although my search is throwing up so much bad luck. So I keep going back to the bun I visited yesterday, but his temperament puts me off a little (typical teenage male, rather run a muck and spray everything!).

So I guess my question is, if i get him neutered (which i plan on doing so anyway), is this going to help? I mean I know it calms them down but in terms of temperament. I don't want to feel i have to wrestle with a bunny when i handle him/her. Part of me feels this bun would be better of as an outdoors bun, but then I am having so much bad luck!

Thanks

If I were you I would go for a bonded pair of rabbits from a Rescue. The vast majority of rabbits are happier as part of a couple, and the Rescue would have already done the neutering and bonding.

If I were you I would go for a bonded pair of rabbits from a Rescue. The vast majority of rabbits are happier as part of a couple, and the Rescue would have already done the neutering and bonding.

I agree with Babsie :thumb:

My indoor pen is 1.4m x 1.1m x 1m. Find for two small bunnies as its quite a big area, i mean I can almost lay in it. But it falls under rescues recommendations?

My indoor pen is 1.4m x 1.1m x 1m. Find for two small bunnies as its quite a big area, i mean I can almost lay in it. But it falls under rescues recommendations?

Yes, that really is too small for any rabbit. Is there any way you can have a larger area and so come up to the recommended size? If you take a look at the indoor housing 'sticky' at the top of the forum, you might pick up some ideas.

The minimum size recommended for outdoor rabbits is a hutch of 6ft X 2ft, with a permanently attached run of 8ft X 6ft, so you would be aiming for similar sized accommodation indoors. The alternative, of course, is to 'bunny proof' a room and just use a dog cage as a base for the litter tray.

Last edited:
That is a small area for one rabbit or two to live. They are very lively creatures who love to run and jump.

Rabbit proofing a room or part of a room could be a good solution for you.

The minimum size recommended for outdoor rabbits is a hutch of 6ft X 2ft, with a permanently attached run of 8ft X 6ft, so you would be aiming for similar sized accommodation indoors. The alternative, of course, is to 'bunny proof' a room and just use a dog cage as a base for the litter tray.

How can you find the space for something that big in a flat!?!
The measurements I gave are 4 and a half feet by 3 and a half feet. Its not that far off the recommendations. Many 6ft enclosures I see are very narrow and filled with loads of litter trays and so the rabbit cannot run around much at all. I have kept buns all my life any never had a problem?
I am happy to go to a rescue as an experienced rabbit keeper. But I cannot fit something of that size in my home.

Can you bunny proof a room or a section of a room for them to have permanent access to? Depending on the bunny this can be really easy to do.

How can you find the space for something that big in a flat!?!
The measurements I gave are 4 and a half feet by 3 and a half feet. Its not that far off the recommendations. Many 6ft enclosures I see are very narrow and filled with loads of litter trays and so the rabbit cannot run around much at all. I have kept buns all my life any never had a problem?
I am happy to go to a rescue as an experienced rabbit keeper. But I cannot fit something of that size in my home.

There are loads of good ideas on indoor housing 'sticky'.

I have looked and most if not all of the indoor images I have seen look do not bigger then what I have? In fact they look smaller.
Although many of the images are broken so I can only comment on what I have seen

Mine looks like this

Mine was made by Boyles and is the same as the image below.

(image from boyles)
Ruthpen-510x600_zpsn8uzq67u.jpg

I have looked and most if not all of the indoor images I have seen look do not bigger then what I have? In fact they look smaller.
Although many of the images are broken so I can only comment on what I have seen

Mine looks like this

Mine was made by Boyles and is the same as the image below.

(image from boyles)
Ruthpen-510x600_zpsn8uzq67u.jpg

Damn, they're still broken?! I went through and repaired them all the other day :(

Back