• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Bramble have vibes please.

Glingle

Warren Veteran
My gorgeous little nethie Bramble will be 10 in a couple of weeks time. She was fine earlier today, eating her fenugreek crunchie for breakfast and hopping up onto the old caravan step they have in their run to hide under and sit on.
I went to give them their tea at about 6, Parsely was under the step and Bramble was sat in the run in a bun loaf position. It was drizzling a bit so I thought she'd wander inside or under the step soon as they don't mind being outside camping out under the step when it rains.
Looked out at about 7 and she was still sat in the same position, but it had been raining or drizzling pretty much constantly so I went out to check her. She let me pick her up (which she does about 20% of the time) and her outer fur was very wet so I bought her inside to towel her dry. Her tummy didn't feel right and so I left hubby holding her whilst I rang the vets and they said to bring her straight in.
Got to the vets about 15 minutes later, Parsley came along to keep her company and was happily sat in the carrier munching hay whilst the vet gave Bramble a thorough going over.
Teeth, ears and chest fine, but the vet did find two small lumps about 3mm in diameter at the side of her mouth. The vet said she'd never seen anything like them, but they were not in a position where they should interfere with her eating.
Tummy was a bit doughy, but she could feel pellets in there and didn't think there was any obstruction although she did jump a little when one area was pressed. We agreed that it was probably early stasis and that she didn't need admitting or IV fluids. She gave her the usual gut motility stuff and a bit of buprenorphine. I've got recovery food and carrot baby food so she just prescribed ranitidine and loxicom for a few days. Obviously, if I'm at all concerned I'll take her straight back.
Rather than lock them in the shed overnight, as she'd got wet, I've got them both in the kitchen so I can keep a closer eye on them. We've blocked off a section for them and have brought in one of their large litter trays, water bowl and have left them both in the carrier with the door open.
Any vibes for a speedy recovery would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm pleased to report that all your vibes worked! I checked on her a few times during the night and gave her her meds this morning before letting them both back out in the run. Bramble went round the run twice at half her top speed, before grooming herself and then picked up a bit of hay and started eating it and then had a nibble at the pear tree branch. These bunnies know how to scare us! Thank you for all your support, it really helped.

Well, I'm pleased to report that all your vibes worked! I checked on her a few times during the night and gave her her meds this morning before letting them both back out in the run. Bramble went round the run twice at half her top speed, before grooming herself and then picked up a bit of hay and started eating it and then had a nibble at the pear tree branch. These bunnies know how to scare us! Thank you for all your support, it really helped.

I'm so glad that she is feeling better :thumb:

Glad to hear she's OK x

Back