• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit deterrent?

esupi

Warren Veteran
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone knows of any way of deterring wild rabbits from a garden? I know most people on here wouldn't want to but I'm asking for a friend who has taken issue with them coming and pooing all over his lawn!

Well, I guess everyone owning rabbits would be happy to keep the wild population at bay, in my first year with rabbits they killed 14 of my 15 buns by spreading Myxo.

A fence works for your vegetables, a double fence at least 1m apart should keep them from spreading desease easily. Also dogs with the right attitude would work. I'm not sure about cats, although some kill small rabbits that isn't in a way to defend your property.
Poaching and eating some didn't solve the problem either, but I moved to a valley where too much predators roam to allow any wild rabbits, on the other hand that causes some problems for my rabbits too...

About rabbit poop on the lawn: Just convince your friend it's perfect, organic fertilizer, a sign that everthing is ok in his garden, and that bunny berries are actually a blessing :D, much better than putting up a fence or let out the dogs...
I'll never understand what's so great having a "perfect" lawn...

Well, I guess everyone owning rabbits would be happy to keep the wild population at bay, in my first year with rabbits they killed 14 of my 15 buns by spreading Myxo.

A fence works for your vegetables, a double fence at least 1m apart should keep them from spreading desease easily. Also dogs with the right attitude would work. I'm not sure about cats, although some kill small rabbits that isn't in a way to defend your property.
Poaching and eating some didn't solve the problem either, but I moved to a valley where too much predators roam to allow any wild rabbits, on the other hand that causes some problems for my rabbits too...

About rabbit poop on the lawn: Just convince your friend it's perfect, organic fertilizer, a sign that everthing is ok in his garden, and that bunny berries are actually a blessing :D, much better than putting up a fence or let out the dogs...
I'll never understand what's so great having a "perfect" lawn...

Thanks for the response! Yes it seems odd to me to want to deter them. I hadn't thought of the disease aspect of it, but if I had them in my garden I'd like to watch them.

I wondered if there might be any kind of plant or scent that might deter them but wasn't hopeful. Physical barriers it is then, or pet cats!

Interesting about the disease spreading - I've certainly never thought of that. But, surely, if your rabbits are vaccinated, that wouldn't happen.

Interesting about the disease spreading - I've certainly never thought of that. But, surely, if your rabbits are vaccinated, that wouldn't happen.

i suppose in countries that do not have a vaccine may want to deter them - Australia for instance. they're having an awful time, rhd2 was released and they don't have a vaccine at all :(

Vaccinated rabbits aren't 100% safe. We've had Nodular Myx here.

To prevent them entering a garden, in my view it's only a physical barrier that would work.

Back