Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Free range rabbits...? If not - where to buy accommodation?

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Regarding whether to allow them out 24/7, is the run predator proof from above?
    Yes. It's got 3 removable mesh/wood squares which are locked on.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    Yes. It's got 3 removable mesh/wood squares which are locked on.
    If you are sure that nothing can get in or out, either from above or below, then it should be OK. You will know your neighbourhood and I would say the only risk could be that something could enter the garden and scare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    If you are sure that nothing can get in or out, either from above or below, then it should be OK. You will know your neighbourhood and I would say the only risk could be that something could enter the garden and scare them.
    I agree - they were bought up in a house with a cat so I (think) that wouldn't scare them - though we've never seen a cat in our garden (or fox). They do have a hiding place in case they get scared

So hopefully OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    They've had a good Binky around today.. I don't think I've seen a rabbit Binky before and our two did it a lot... But then we upset them by trying to show them that the ramp led to their hutch as they hadn't explored the ramp at all despite being there for 6 hours.

As the run is attached underneath the hutch we've left it open tonight so they can hop down the ramp. We have mesh skirting round the edges so they shouldn't be able to dig out/predators would struggle to dig in (don't think there are any but still). Think it's best for the rabbits to get used to the floor being open.

Any tips on getting them to like us would be appreciated, for some reason they don't like being touched at all and are very jumpy, we just want them to be hall after all
    What about where there is no mesh? Surely they could just dig there and go under the mesh or have I missed something?

They look really cute and their set up looks great. Just worried that an incomplete mesh floor could be dangerous.

Mama Doe

I know with my jumpy bunnies it helps to just sit in the run and let them gain confidence coming to you. Perhaps even trying to feed some fresh greens by hand. They'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by tulsi View Post
    What about where there is no mesh? Surely they could just dig there and go under the mesh or have I missed something?

They look really cute and their set up looks great. Just worried that an incomplete mesh floor could be dangerous.
    Yeah so there's 6inches of mesh skirting around the edges of the run. There is no mesh inside the run. To get out /in a predator would have to do a lot of digging and probably suffer a few cuts (the spikier bits of mesh are facing outwards.

I've deemed that to be a sufficient amount of protection as there are only two sides of the hutch a predator could enter from too (put obstructions like wood/hosepipe reels round it too).

Here they are in the home

best free photo hosting

They rabbits are getting more confident with us too . They are less jumpy and will eat from our hands. Should be able to start building trust now.

Wise Old Thumper

I think it's lovely being able to have them close to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    I think it's lovely being able to have them close to the house.
    Definitely! Makes doing any washing at the window bareable but we don't do much now,.. just stand and watch them lol. I'm hoping it helps keep it a degree or two warmer in winter