• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range rabbits...? If not - where to buy accommodation?

I let my rabbits free range during the day, some of the growouts more free than I intend because they either find holes in the fence or go through the creek, not a big problem, they are back in their hutch in the evening (with treats).

There is the danger of predators, a fox scared my buck to death 2 years ago in summer and cracked one of the hutches at christmas, 4 young disappeared. Got that one, no problem since. Cats are no problem for me, my property is in the teritory of an old, three legged veteran, and by the the time my rabbits get free run of everything they are too big for most cats anyway, and, more important, they are always in groups. Cats do not like being detected and stomped at.

Since mine aren't exactly pets I'm more relaxed, and can give them more freedom, I always have a wildlife camera at the perimeter to notice any predators sneaking up, and there will be times when fox and marten become a problem again, but well, that may be years from now, and I can accept losing one growout or another when they all have a better life meanwhile.

Interesting! We plan to give ours supervised access to the whole garden, despite it being a low risk I did see a fox run across the road yesterday and it made me think...!

Just waiting for some responses on our adoption requests and we should be good to go......

I agree,

We plan to give the rabbits 24/7 access, so to stop them digging out, or worse - foxes digging in, we're looking at getting a wire mesh surrounding.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Do you just get some wire mesh and place it under the edges of the run?

Cheers

Hi, just read through your thread. My bunnies are all diggers so I've put slabs under the run, this helps when the weather is bad too as it doesn't get muddy. I cut a hole in the back of my hutch so they have 24 hr access. The other set up is a shed with Boyles aviary, again all on slabs and a catflap for access.
The bunnies look gorgeous.
I used to let mine out into the bunny proof garden. Always when I was at home but one of my buns did get bitten which resulted in her death. It was horrible, but she did have a lovely life, binkying round the garden and eating all my plants, she especially liked to nibble the base of my clematis as soon as I got it established. I don't have a bunny proof garden now, but I'd still let them out if I did. Seeing them binky round the garden was lovely.
The hutch looks great, you have to choose what suits your lifestyle and it looks nice and big.
Good luck and keep us updated

Back