Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free range rabbits...? If not - where to buy accommodation?

Default Free range rabbits...? If not - where to buy accommodation?

Hey,

Just wondering - if you had a garden a rabbit couldn't get out of (ours is walled) would you let them run around the garden all day? Our area is unlikely to have foxes, but there are obviously local cats - never seen one in the garden mind.

We did this with our first rabbit and had no issues - but see advice to the contrary around the web.

If not... where would you buy accommodation from? Would this be suitable? Would it also need a run? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...it+hutch&psc=1

Thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum

I wouldn't, but that's not to say you couldn't, I just don't think I could relax. I'm sure under supervision it would be great fun for them though.

We used to have that hutch/run, but have since upgraded to a large run/tunnel/playhouse set up. I used to find crawling in the run underneath, to clean etc a bit awkward and as we had three in there they needed something bigger x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Mama Doe

Foxes will find a way in if they want to. They can easily scale a 6' wall. Cats are quite agile as well - usually more of a pest, but can seriously stress a rabbit. Plus there is always the danger of flying predators who can just swoop down and grab their prey. I would not risk leaving rabbits out unsupervised unless there was a physical barrier to stop predators getting in, and it was dig proof ground (both to stop bunny digging out, and predators digging in).

Thanks for the replies. I think we were completely oblivious to the risks - he lived until 12... day out twice lol. We were fortunate in where we lived (only 5 houses nearby).

In terms of ours:

Digging out - possible but only to next doors garden which it would then have to dig through before getting worried. Anyway - the cats nearby do worry me.

So - we need a hutch...

It's really hard to find ones that are the correct dimensions. With two sleeping areas as we're planning to buy 2...

Mama Doe

Not sure why you need 2 sleeping areas?
    When you say you are planning to buy 2 - is that 2 rabbits?
    Bonded rabbits would normally snuggle up together. Obviously, the more space the better anyway.
    The dimensions of the combo unit you posted look OK - no idea about the quality of the build - but it is along the right lines.

Have you thought about a wendy house and attached run, or an aviary type run attached? It would probably be around the same price, better build quality and easier to look after.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Not sure why you need 2 sleeping areas?
    When you say you are planning to buy 2 - is that 2 rabbits?
    Bonded rabbits would normally snuggle up together. Obviously, the more space the better anyway.
    The dimensions of the combo unit you posted look OK - no idea about the quality of the build - but it is along the right lines.

Have you thought about a wendy house and attached run, or an aviary type run attached? It would probably be around the same price, better build quality and easier to look after.
    Hahaha - Maybe I thought they were like humans... I'd quite like to have a separate sleeping area...

Yeah 2 rabbits - looking at Mini lops.

Will consider the one I posted as the dimensions look OK & will check out some Wendy houses with a run - I'd plan to let them out for a bit of time (hour or two) in the evening supervised when back from work (maybe give them roam of the kitchen as it leads to the garden) as I do feel bad keeping animals locked away even if they are happy.

Update:

Found one I like - https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/the-bunnery-w1-85m-x-d1-85m

Says it's compliant with H.E.A.R.T - so I guess that makes it suitable. Plan to get the mesh flooring but DIY insulation with Snugglesafe's which look good, and some polyurethane to make a wrap for the top of the hutch.

Now - we need to find some rabbits... plan is to adopt a pair that are <1 year old so we have them through their life. We've had a look at the RSPCA website and will get a form in with them

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    Update:

Says it's compliant with H.E.A.R.T
    You might want to read this - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...hlight=dunster and look elsewhere.

Have you tried looking at Boyles Pet Housing or local shed/joinery companies that would build to your requirements at all? I'm planning on going the DIY route myself as soon as I can afford it as I've got an awkward spot I want to put the shed and run in.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    Update:

Says it's compliant with H.E.A.R.T - so I guess that makes it suitable. Plan to get the mesh flooring but DIY insulation with Snugglesafe's which look good, and some polyurethane to make a wrap for the top of the hutch.

Now - we need to find some rabbits... plan is to adopt a pair that are <1 year old so we have them through their life. We've had a look at the RSPCA website and will get a form in with them
    What does HEART stand for? The rabbit welfare group is called RWAF: calling for a hutch of at least 6 x 2 and a permanently attached run of at least 8 x 6. I haven't looked at the dimensions of that one.

Wise Old Thumper

Also, if you are going to mesh the bottom of the run, which I think you said was your intention, not sure whether you know to bury it under the turf otherwise it hurst their feet.