• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range rabbits...? If not - where to buy accommodation?

Here they are :)!
fNUSQQ
dPMVek

upload image

They've had a good Binky around today.. I don't think I've seen a rabbit Binky before and our two did it a lot... But then we upset them by trying to show them that the ramp led to their hutch as they hadn't explored the ramp at all despite being there for 6 hours.

As the run is attached underneath the hutch we've left it open tonight so they can hop down the ramp. We have mesh skirting round the edges so they shouldn't be able to dig out/predators would struggle to dig in (don't think there are any but still). Think it's best for the rabbits to get used to the floor being open.

Any tips on getting them to like us would be appreciated, for some reason they don't like being touched at all and are very jumpy, we just want them to be hall after all :)

They've had a good Binky around today.. I don't think I've seen a rabbit Binky before and our two did it a lot... But then we upset them by trying to show them that the ramp led to their hutch as they hadn't explored the ramp at all despite being there for 6 hours.

As the run is attached underneath the hutch we've left it open tonight so they can hop down the ramp. We have mesh skirting round the edges so they shouldn't be able to dig out/predators would struggle to dig in (don't think there are any but still). Think it's best for the rabbits to get used to the floor being open.

Any tips on getting them to like us would be appreciated, for some reason they don't like being touched at all and are very jumpy, we just want them to be hall after all :)

Honestly, totally to be expected. Takes time for rabbits to settle in and trust.

You need to become familiar and part of their normal routine. Don't force contact, let it happen gradually, sitting by them, offering a treat etc.

And bear in mind, most rabbits don't ever get to like being picked up, although a fair few don't mind being petted at ground level :)

Of our 8 rabbits, there's only a couple who seem comfortable with us and will come over for a fuss, voluntarily. The others are nearly always jumpy and nervous.

Even the 3 we've had longest, so probably a couple of years now, get in a panic and run off, even if I'm just putting hay in! x

That's good to hear that they don't hate us :) ThreeB's - I don't really care if they don't want to be held, that's not what they are for, just want them to be happy... once they get in the run they just binky binky binky, which is nice to see. Cam loves a toilet roll, good to recycle.

Good news from tonight - they have learnt how to use the ramp - we used the only thing they seem to recognise (their orange food bowl) to coax them up. Just put some pellets in, they ate from it... then moved it up further... ate from it again etc and now they seem to know they can go up and down! Means we won't have to pick them up again.

Although bear seems to be sat at the top wondering how he got there, and Cam is sat at the bottom wondering how Bear got up to the hutch lol

General care question:
Given they hate being picked up as earlier mentioned... Do I let them have access to the run 24/7? Or shut them in?

Just went downstairs for a drink and Cam is running round the run binkying and throwing the toilet roll around lol.

There are 3 possible exit/entrance sides... I have pinned down wire mesh about 5 inches wide round the sides of the hutch to prevent any predators getting in (unlik but would be horrendous). If the rabbits got out... Wouldn't be too much bother as the Gardens secure and they'd have to dig again just to get to next doors garden (where there's loads of vegetables they'd eat).

It's only one of them I worry about given how active she is. But not seen any signs she's a digger. Apparently one of the others in the litter digs a lot. I wonder if their social side is genetic...?

Yes. It's got 3 removable mesh/wood squares which are locked on.

If you are sure that nothing can get in or out, either from above or below, then it should be OK. You will know your neighbourhood and I would say the only risk could be that something could enter the garden and scare them.

If you are sure that nothing can get in or out, either from above or below, then it should be OK. You will know your neighbourhood and I would say the only risk could be that something could enter the garden and scare them.

I agree - they were bought up in a house with a cat so I (think) that wouldn't scare them - though we've never seen a cat in our garden (or fox). They do have a hiding place in case they get scared :)

So hopefully OK!

What about where there is no mesh? Surely they could just dig there and go under the mesh or have I missed something?

They look really cute and their set up looks great. Just worried that an incomplete mesh floor could be dangerous.

I know with my jumpy bunnies it helps to just sit in the run and let them gain confidence coming to you. Perhaps even trying to feed some fresh greens by hand. They'll get there.

What about where there is no mesh? Surely they could just dig there and go under the mesh or have I missed something?

They look really cute and their set up looks great. Just worried that an incomplete mesh floor could be dangerous.

Yeah so there's 6inches of mesh skirting around the edges of the run. There is no mesh inside the run. To get out /in a predator would have to do a lot of digging and probably suffer a few cuts (the spikier bits of mesh are facing outwards.

I've deemed that to be a sufficient amount of protection as there are only two sides of the hutch a predator could enter from too (put obstructions like wood/hosepipe reels round it too).

Here they are in the home

best free photo hosting

They rabbits are getting more confident with us too :). They are less jumpy and will eat from our hands. Should be able to start building trust now.

Back