• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

TIMOTHYHAY.CO.UK back in stock!

It must be worth an email to them
FWIIW the 2017 batch of Timothyhay we received seems fine

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

This is the problem. All the other orders I've had have been very good and the rabbits have liked it. I intend to mention it next time I order.

Sorry to hear about Yan, Omi, but glad he's on the mend now.

I don't understand why the strands being short would make a difference to his hay consumption?

OK soft and short. It's completely different to what I've had before. When I go to grab a handful, it sort of doesn't hold itself together and some of it falls back into the bag. Before it's been long stalky strands. You'd have to ask the rabbits I'm afraid why they are not eating so much :lol: I presumed it was because they didn't like it as much :lol:

[/B] They are using hedgehogs and other woodland friends to harvest & pack it. Or maybe the go out scythes and harvest it a little bit at a time. Maybe they have only limited manpower to handle P+P so list it accordingly? Ok I'll stop since my musings are becoming less romantic.

I got 2017 TH a couple of weeks ago - we don't like it so much, its sort of thin & hard . I'm looking forward to the oat hay coming back in . My fear of creating hay monsters has come true

It's interesting that your last batch was different, but not in the same way that mine was different :lol:

I considered the manpower issue. It's the only possibility that I can think of.

The 2017 Oat Hay must have been all cut at the same time. They might get two cuts a year and this is just the first cut. However, I've been checking regularly every 3 or 4 days and up until last night they were still showing 2016 Out of Stock. You would assume that if hay is Out of Stock, what they've cut is all gone. I can't believe that all their 2017 Oat Hay has gone :shock: It's only August :shock:

I've just ordered some as the bunnies are having trouble getting the hay I got from hayandstraw.whatever out of the hay rack and did this to it...

IMG_1962.JPG

As you can see from the photos the hay from them is very thin and long strands and just wraps itself around everything. I thought they were ok with it until I came upstairs one day to find the destruction!

Dad's now fixed it so I don't want to use that hay in it anymore in case they do it again. So just using that up in the trays and using treat hay in the rack but that's proving rather expensive!

This hay is proving quite popular with my bunnies, I thought they were quite good hay eaters before but they are eating even more now - even the stuff that they pull into the litter tray is being eaten so I'm not having to throw away as much. Can hay put weight on? I've weighed 2 of my 3 and both have gained weight - 1 is a little underweight so I'm happy to see a small gain, the other was apparently at the top end of a healthy weight back in January and is now nearly half a kilo heavier so not so good for her! The only difference in their diet really has been the hay but I don't know if this would increase their weight?

Would be interested to hear what the situation is with the oat hay, may buy a bag if / when it's available again.

I've just ordered some as the bunnies are having trouble getting the hay I got from hayandstraw.whatever out of the hay rack and did this to it...

IMG_1962.JPG

As you can see from the photos the hay from them is very thin and long strands and just wraps itself around everything. I thought they were ok with it until I came upstairs one day to find the destruction!

Dad's now fixed it so I don't want to use that hay in it anymore in case they do it again. So just using that up in the trays and using treat hay in the rack but that's proving rather expensive!
They could be chewing he bars as they're too close together. You could ask your dad to saw out every other bar, which allows buns to get their noses into the best strands.
My one from MPH had quite close bars, so I removed every other bar and they never chew it to pieces.

The little circles in the picture are where bars used to be.
c84337ba2a939eed7b3e3385accc7b6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This hay is proving quite popular with my bunnies, I thought they were quite good hay eaters before but they are eating even more now - even the stuff that they pull into the litter tray is being eaten so I'm not having to throw away as much. Can hay put weight on? I've weighed 2 of my 3 and both have gained weight - 1 is a little underweight so I'm happy to see a small gain, the other was apparently at the top end of a healthy weight back in January and is now nearly half a kilo heavier so not so good for her! The only difference in their diet really has been the hay but I don't know if this would increase their weight?

Would be interested to hear what the situation is with the oat hay, may buy a bag if / when it's available again.

Yes, hay can put weight on, it's calories after all :D

But really good calories and never to be restricted. If too much weight is put on, then perhaps other things can be restricted, but never hay (as you know :))

They could be chewing he bars as they're too close together. You could ask your dad to saw out every other bar, which allows buns to get their noses into the best strands.
My one from MPH had quite close bars, so I removed every other bar and they never chew it to pieces.

The little circles in the picture are where bars used to be.
c84337ba2a939eed7b3e3385accc7b6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think Smudge would be able to squeeze in if I did that as that's what he's been doing where I took out the broken spindles. I didn't want them to hurt themselves on the pointy bits so removed them until we could get more dowel. It's not normally a problem, normally it's ideal, it's just where I've had to use different hay when the timothyhay was out of stock.

Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive cos they're going through the Oxbow at a rate of knots!

Yes, hay can put weight on, it's calories after all :D

But really good calories and never to be restricted. If too much weight is put on, then perhaps other things can be restricted, but never hay (as you know :))

It's really awkward having 1 underweight, 1 overweight and 1 normal weight in the trio :lol: they don't really get many treats but Millie is a greedy bun and I think she eats quicker than the other 2. I personally don't think she's overweight but the vet nurse said back in January to keep an eye on her weight as she was the top end of normal and she has since gained nearly half a kilo. Definitely won't be restricting hay though, I'm really pleased at how much they are eating just now. Need to create a bunny jail for Millie and feed her in there so she can't pinch the food from the other 2 :lol:

It's really awkward having 1 underweight, 1 overweight and 1 normal weight in the trio :lol: they don't really get many treats but Millie is a greedy bun and I think she eats quicker than the other 2. I personally don't think she's overweight but the vet nurse said back in January to keep an eye on her weight as she was the top end of normal and she has since gained nearly half a kilo. Definitely won't be restricting hay though, I'm really pleased at how much they are eating just now. Need to create a bunny jail for Millie and feed her in there so she can't pinch the food from the other 2 :lol:

A bunny jail - that I would love to see :)

I sneak food into the lightweight one when the others are about doing something somewhere else in the house ...

Difficult though, isn't it :D

A bunny jail - that I would love to see :)

I sneak food into the lightweight one when the others are about doing something somewhere else in the house ...

Difficult though, isn't it :D

Mine are only allowed in the living / dining room, Millie always knows when there's food about - no fooling her! My lightweight one needs extra grooming so I take him to the utility room to groom him on the worktop and give him some food while he's there.

Just opened my new bag of timothy hay and they don't seem interested. It's beautifully green but aparentely the 2016 batch is better and they are hoovering up every last bit of it! Bunnies, who'd have thought they'd be so fussy!

Do you think they'll start eating it when they run out of the 2016 stuff? There's only a handful left :-(

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Mine are only allowed in the living / dining room, Millie always knows when there's food about - no fooling her! My lightweight one needs extra grooming so I take him to the utility room to groom him on the worktop and give him some food while he's there.

Sneaky snacks - I love it :D

Just opened my new bag of timothy hay and they don't seem interested. It's beautifully green but aparentely the 2016 batch is better and they are hoovering up every last bit of it! Bunnies, who'd have thought they'd be so fussy!

Do you think they'll start eating it when they run out of the 2016 stuff? There's only a handful left :-(

I'm glad I've ordered some now then, before I've finished the 2016 lot. I can blend the hays and hopefully they will eat!

I'm glad I've ordered some now then, before I've finished the 2016 lot. I can blend the hays and hopefully they will eat!
Yes wish I'd thought of that. I stupidly thought that they're love the fresher stuff more. Haha. Should have realised by now I can't guess what they'll do next. Lol

Yes wish I'd thought of that. I stupidly thought that they're love the fresher stuff more. Haha. Should have realised by now I can't guess what they'll do next. Lol

Well I wouldn't have thought of doing it until I read this thread ....

..... Life according to Bunnies :roll:

Well I wouldn't have thought of doing it until I read this thread ....

..... Life according to Bunnies :roll:
Let me know if it works. I've just tried sprinkling dried forage on the new hay..... so far they are just picking out the forage. Haha. Can't fool them!

Back