• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

TIMOTHYHAY.CO.UK back in stock!

Bea says that you are all in for a treat :)
4lornq.jpg

Thank you Bea :D

Just keep on at me now until I've placed the order :lol:

How long does hay stay fresh for if opened and stored in a garage? We're going to have two dwarf lops soon (how long would it last them?),

Not sure whether to get 20kg or 10kg (or a 20kg and a 10kg if it lasts for ages)!

I'm contemplating buying some - I stay about a half hour drive away so can pick it up to save money (the place I usually buy my bales from is the same length of drive in another direction although it comes from the same area as timothyhay.co.uk!). Hoping my bunnies think it lives up to the hype :lol:

How long does hay stay fresh for if opened and stored in a garage? We're going to have two dwarf lops soon (how long would it last them?),

Not sure whether to get 20kg or 10kg (or a 20kg and a 10kg if it lasts for ages)!
It keeps fine for several months in our garage. We use hay in the hay rack and litter tray and 10kg will last us four to six weeks

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I'm contemplating buying some - I stay about a half hour drive away so can pick it up to save money (the place I usually buy my bales from is the same length of drive in another direction although it comes from the same area as timothyhay.co.uk!). Hoping my bunnies think it lives up to the hype :lol:

Yes, I reckon it does live up to the hype - so my buns demonstrate on a daily basis :lol:

However, I hope there's enough left ... I saw Horace ordered two bales recently!!

Well....I have to say I'm not so impressed with the hay this time. It's certainly not bad enough to complain, but I think I must just have been unlucky. It looks to me as though all the long, stalky stuff has been taken and this is what was remaining in the pile :( It's lovely and green and fresh, but it's short strands and soft, not stalky.

Unfortunately the rabbits think the same and whilst it's being eaten, it's clearly not being consumed with the same gusto :(

It won't put me off ordering from there again, but I will add a note next time that my rabbits prefer it long and stalky :)

Oh no :(
It might be worth dropping them a message, I know you said that it's not worth complaining over but they are usually pretty good with this kinda stuff. I found a couple of tiny bugs in a bag of mine last year and they sent me another straight out :)

Oh no :(
It might be worth dropping them a message, I know you said that it's not worth complaining over but they are usually pretty good with this kinda stuff. I found a couple of tiny bugs in a bag of mine last year and they sent me another straight out :)

No, I don't think it's fair to say anything at this stage, as I would not want them to feel they needed to send me a replacement. I will definitely mention it next time I order though and ask if it's possible to make sure it's long and stalky. It's certainly acceptable to eat, it's just that my rabbits prefer it to be like it usually is :) It's particularly a problem at the moment too because Yan is going through a horrendous moult and I would like him to keep eating a lot of hay.

Oh no that's a shame about Timothy hay Omi. I ordered some Ings hay for the buns while the Timothy was out of stock. I'm 99% sure they sent me meadow hay instead. Like you I didn't want to through the faff of contacting them for a replacement as the buns are eating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a shame Omi, I picked some up yesterday and mine is long strands so I think you've been very unlucky. My rabbits aren't loving it either though - they do like it but they haven't gone mad for it. My normal bales come from the same area so maybe it's not hugely different to them despite the Timothy hay stuff being much greener? I now have the massive bag sitting in the middle of my kitchen until I can rearrange my storage :lol:

Oh no that's a shame about Timothy hay Omi. I ordered some Ings hay for the buns while the Timothy was out of stock. I'm 99% sure they sent me meadow hay instead. Like you I didn't want to through the faff of contacting them for a replacement as the buns are eating it.

Hey Scrappy, if this is Ings hay from hayforpets.co.uk and your not happy with it, they are really quick with arranging another bag to be sent out to you. My two are on Ings as their main hay, and love it... but about 2 bags ago, I swear we had Meadow Hay as it was much thicker.. I called up and explained the buns weren't eating it, and they sent me another bag of Ings the next day! :)

Hey Scrappy, if this is Ings hay from hayforpets.co.uk and your not happy with it, they are really quick with arranging another bag to be sent out to you. My two are on Ings as their main hay, and love it... but about 2 bags ago, I swear we had Meadow Hay as it was much thicker.. I called up and explained the buns weren't eating it, and they sent me another bag of Ings the next day! :)

Thanks Ruth. When I actually opened the bag I thought oh no! I'm going to have to send this back as they haven't been that keen on meadow hay in the past. But I thought I'd try them on it and surprisingly they both tucked in quite happily! So I decided to leave it as they seem happy enough. But it's good to know that getting it changed if I need to in the future is pretty straightforward [emoji3]

... waited for the new batch of timothy hay and ordered as 'treat' hay and this stuff is WONDERFUL - beautifully green. Mine love cheap horse hay but are selective re which stalks they eat so there's lots of waste. With the timothy hay there is no waste which offsets its higher cost and gives them more variety. Excellent service (next day) and packaging - very impressed with the company. Thanks to the forum for this recommendation :)

Last edited:
Does anyone understand just how this company operates?

It's taking my rabbits a while to get through the short-stranded 2017 Timothy that I got a few weeks ago. I was concerned when it arrived as Yan was moulting heavily and this is normally best managed by loads of hay consumption. As I feared, he stopped eating a couple of days ago and had to be taken to the vets and have gut meds and pain relief :( He's more or less OK now, but you can imagine my relief in seeing the 2017 Oat Hay advertised on the website (previously they were saying only that 2016 batch was Out of Stock), which I attempted to order today (even with half a bag of the Timothy left). The 2017 is already listed as Out of Stock!! How on earth have they got rid of it all so quickly!

It's taking my rabbits a while to get through the short-stranded 2017 Timothy that I got a few weeks ago. I was concerned when it arrived as Yan was moulting heavily and this is normally best managed by loads of hay consumption. As I feared, he stopped eating a couple of days ago and had to be taken to the vets and have gut meds and pain relief :( He's more or less OK now, but you can imagine my relief in seeing the 2017 Oat Hay advertised on the website (previously they were saying only that 2016 batch was Out of Stock), which I attempted to order today (even with half a bag of the Timothy left). The 2017 is already listed as Out of Stock!! How on earth have they got rid of it all so quickly!

Sorry to hear about Yan, Omi, but glad he's on the mend now.

I don't understand why the strands being short would make a difference to his hay consumption?

They are using hedgehogs and other woodland friends to harvest & pack it. Or maybe the go out scythes and harvest it a little bit at a time. Maybe they have only limited manpower to handle P+P so list it accordingly? Ok I'll stop since my musings are becoming less romantic.

I got 2017 TH a couple of weeks ago - we don't like it so much, its sort of thin & hard . I'm looking forward to the oat hay coming back in . My fear of creating hay monsters has come true

Back